The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
cycle

Caapi leaves turning yellow

My caapi leaves are tuning yellow and falling off. Please tell me why this is happening and how to fix it.

much thanks in advance.

Thats what happens when its cold in winter. The same happens to mine in perth and it always grows back stronger in the summer.

I think it is the cold more than anything else.

Thanks Fenris. I suspected it might be something to do with the cold. I have them inside so they are somewhat protected. So do all your leaves fall off?

Good to hear they come back stronger B)

yellow leaves falling off is mostly a sign of not fertilizing enough, just fertilize a little bit, and once they start growing again in spring, keep fertilizing your plant. caapi is a very virgorous plant (like pretty much all climbers and vines) and if kept in pots its often hard to give her enough nutes. certainly the cold and lack of water are other factors which could lead to similar symptoms, but anyway, give her a big pot, with good potting mix and fert her once a week over the summer.

I agree with the diagnosis of not enough ferts. I see it in my plants too. Many gardeners follow the habit of not ferting at all during the winter but plants need ferts year around although somewhat less during winter. When they look pale, give them a little.

Stoney and planthelper are right as always. The cold could be making it worse, of course.

These plants are heavy feeders and if they have grown to the size of the pot even moreso. Dynamic lifter or blood n bone applied lightly to the surface and watered in with warm water provides a nice treat for your plant.

Don't overdo it until Spring starts, though.

Well it really depends on which leaves are turning yellow and falling off. did they begin from the top of the bottom. If from the bottom it is either Nitrogen or Sulfur deficiency, unless there is some pattern to the yellowing in which case could be trace element. If from the top it could be iron or other phloem immobile nutrients. Pictures could help.

to get passiflora to grow well here it is recommended to bury an animal liver,sheep or cow,in the pot in spring.

t s t .

Thanks for all the advice. I've added some worm juice and will keep you posted. The leaves are falling off from the bottom up so that's N or S deficiency then, good to know.

thanks again to all :lol:

Coming out of Winter mine put on a lot of growth for a small little cutting, then the older leaves started to show yellowing. I've added some more worm wee and will see if this helps.

Dude this thread is three years old...