The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

1200 Mics (the music)

Just got a few 1200 Micrograms CDs (1200 Micrograms [2002], Heroes of the Imagination [2003], Live in Brazil [2005] and Magic Numbers [2007]) and I cant stop listening to them! Just want to make people aware (if they aren't already) of how awesome these guys are as far as psychedelic/entheogenic trance/dance music.

With tune titles such as Ayahuasca, LSD, Mescaline, Hashish, Magic Mushrooms, DMT and Acid For Nothing (sort of a Money for Nothing [Dire Straits] re-make) and awesome samples (voice overs from documentaries/movies/etc) throughout several, I just cant get enough of this stuff right now! B)

If anyone gets a chance to hear their stuff, DO IT! For those who are already clued up on their works, I'm sure you'd agree that they know how to put a psychedelic tune together as good as the best of them.

What do others have to say about them?

P.S. Thanks Obtuse who got me started on them with their album 'The Time Machine' (circa 2004) :wub:

Not a big fan, personally.

It's just super cheesy commercial fullon-style psytrance with corny drug samples from Leary and Fear & Loathing.

I admit I used to love the self titled album but that was before I got properly into psytrance and found the real psychedelic tunes.*

*All text written is purely subjective and represents only my own opinion, naturally.

hey ace, have you heard any Shpongle?

the guy behind 1200 mics is Raja Ram & he is also one half of this 'band' called Shpongle. the other half of the 'band' is Simon Posford, who also makes psytrance under the name Hallucinogen.

IMO Shpongle shits all over 1200 mics & Hallucinogen. although these days i'm not as into psytrance as i once was.

i remember being into 1200 mics back in the day though. i remember one track which was pretty fat, it goes something like "come on now lets all take some MESCALINE!!!!!! doof doof doof etc" ahh it takes me back :)

but yeah if you havn't already, check out Shpongle. exquisite electronic, psychedelic, beautifulness.

Yeah Shpongle is great.

i remember one track which was pretty fat, it goes something like "come on now lets all take some MESCALINE!!!!!! doof doof doof etc"
Yeah, that one's called Mescaline :P

get into it ace! whooo psy trance.

as valid as his opinion may be, don't let this oztrance psy-snob discourage you :P

It's just super cheesy commercial fullon-style psytrance with corny drug samples from Leary and Fear & Loathing.

Techno is not for me. Give me some good ole shamanic drumming or maybe some throat singin'.

Edited by Teotz'

Yeah heard quite a bit of shpongle (quite like it) but I'd prefer 1200 mics. Just very easy to get you pumped and into a sweet head-space that seems to work better (for me) than other trance 'bands'. Just love em atm :lol:

Yeah the samples have been overdone by heaps of bands now - especially fear and loathing. Still, I think it adds a cool vibe through most tunes and really turns it into something more than just a beat. Kind of adding a third dimension to a painting or other work of art - its already cool, but giving it depth just brings it to life.

I think I agree with Ace about 1200 Mics, i loved them when i first heard them, they were one of the first real psy acts i heard but as my passion grew and i explored the genre I came to a similar conclusion to Ace, and also that sorta goa isn't really the psy i like most anyway.

What other stuff you into Ace?

Peace,

Mind

What other stuff you into Ace?

Not a great deal of psytrance (most of it is a little too repetitive for my taste, but I quite enjoy it while inebriated - who doesnt? :P), mostly rock/easy metal sort of stuff. Just recently got into Saliva too (probably not everyone's taste, but alright for easy listening rock), Blood Stained Love Story in particular. Umm, I have Infected Mushroom (several albums) but I find it doesnt quite 'grab me' the way that 1200 mics does. I was lucky enough to score a heap of psy tunes (dozens of different artists/groups/cds) from a member here and I quite like listening to all of it at random while I'm at work or doing mundane stuff at home. I find the beats tend to give you a bit of rhythm as well as a bit of energy to work with.

Aside from the electronic tunes, I mostly like rock/alterative stuff like The Offspring (heavier stuff, not the crappy cheezy shit like 'Pretty Fly' [:puke:]), Powderfinger, Oasis, Blink 182, HIM, Gyroscope, etc. A lot of people would probably cringe at the stuff in my CD rack :P Also like the more popular rock from the last few decades (60s-00s) such as Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Hendrix, Iron Maiden, etc.

In order to get me a little more cultured, I pose a Question for all:

If there was one CD that you think everyone on earth should hear before they die, what would it be?

Edited by Ace

I'm with you on this one alkatrope. But yes, 1200 Mics is a good "gateway band" for psytrance, and it definitely leads to harder & better styles of psytrance :lol:

Ace, you may wanna check out Fractal Glider, Mr Peculiar, and any of the guys on REGEN records for a taste of better psytrance but in the same vein as 1200 Mics - you're guaranteed to dig it :wink:

Thanks for the heads up Mu - I dont think I've come across those names before. I'll have to have a surf tonight and see what I can track down. I find that the more mellow stuff is a little too boring for my liking (in most frames of mind) - I want to find something heavy(ish) with plenty of interesting (and new) sounds mixed throughout (like warping, tunnelling, strobing, flashing, etc sort of sounds - if that makes sense - as opposed to just a mundane beat with the same reverb over and over). I think thats what I love about 1200 mics - they have a lot of different sounds in each song and it is heavy enough for my liking (though heavier again might be good).

Mu: BTW, I'm still up for some Yowie action (the cactus, not the forum member) - I'll PM you when I get my crap together (hope it's still an option) :)

Edit:

Fractal Glider is Paul McCosh, a psychedelic trance artist from Melbourne, Australia who mind controls people to jump off buildings.
- from Wiki - WTF?? Haha! :lol: Edited by Ace

i reckon alien mental sorta thing you'll like. don't listen to mu, he's obviously promoting his friends or even himself! :P j/k

Only have one song by Saliva and absolutely fucking love it, its called click click boom.

It sounds like your after some more funky stuff Ace, morning stuff :) Try some of the aussie acts, a lot of it is really really funky, i just recently started listening to terrafractyl, and ill plug a mate of mine whos really pretty good and only getting better, plays by the name of eye scramble, you can find both of them on myspace and a good way to go about finding more stuff of the same type would be to check out terrafractyl's friends list, maybe also some other stuff like crazy ducks or minimal criminal, its not always anyones taste though as with all music so whether you like any more of it who knows :)

Peace,

Mind

I'm with you on this one alkatrope. But yes, 1200 Mics is a good "gateway band" for psytrance, and it definitely leads to harder & better styles of psytrance :lol:

Ace, you may wanna check out Fractal Glider, Mr Peculiar, and any of the guys on REGEN records for a taste of better psytrance but in the same vein as 1200 Mics - you're guaranteed to dig it :wink:

About it being a gateway band for psy I completely agree... I remember the first shit I ever listened too in the psy world was Infected Mushroom, Hallucinogen and 1200 Mics etc and at the time I liked it.

Now I can't bare to listen to Infected Mushroom at all and I think Hallucinogen's best work was in Shpongle.

Definitely hit up the Aussie stuff... One of the things I discovered in the search for good psy is that so much much of it is coming from Australia.

The record label I've come to dig the most would probably have to be Zenon (Sun Control Species, Tetrameth, Shadow FX, Sensient, Autonomech etc) but a lot of that stuff leans towards the progressive side as opposed to the full on stuff but if you like atmospheric and some downright clever (like Sensient hehe) music then check out some zenon compilations.

:shroomer: space tribe :shroomer:

Zenon's not psytrance, mate! :P

Thanks for the tips lads. I've also just got all the Tool albums (I know, old stuff these days, but I've never really stumbled across them apart from one or two tracks). I quite like Rosetta Stoned from 10000 Days, but I gotta be honest the rest of that album is a little too progessive for my liking (I'm prepared for a flaming on that comment :P). I'm churning through their other stuff atm. Will update my thoughts when I've gotten through their older albums. *listening to 'stinkfist' atm - not too bad*

^ He's still prog though, BPMs are in the 130s.

But prog is still psy, just like morning, and dark, and goa, well IMO anyway, all just sub genre's in the psytrance genre with characteristics of their own, thats how i look at it anyway, everyone holds their own opinions on this though.

Peace,

Mind

Yeah true, but I find psy and prog to be alot more separated.

The prog scene and the psy scene I find to be very to themselves. Psy-heads snigger at prog and prog-heads snigger at psy.

I actually find alot of prog to be closer to house than psytrance.

But prog is still psy, just like morning, and dark, and goa, well IMO anyway, all just sub genre's in the psytrance genre with characteristics of their own, thats how i look at it anyway, everyone holds their own opinions on this though.

Peace,

Mind

i tend to agree. it's a sad state of affairs. perfectly good psy trance, probably, at a sleep inducing bpm. i need my NO PROG avatar.

edit:

Yeah true, but I find psy and prog to be alot more separated.

The prog scene and the psy scene I find to be very to themselves. Psy-heads snigger at prog and prog-heads snigger at psy.

I actually find alot of prog to be closer to house than psytrance.

that's kinda true, we all still have to go to the same parties. you know how it is, rave rave bored.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

Hey Ace if you like druggy cheese tech stuff, check out the ultimate in fantastic plastic, Velvet Acid Christ.

It's about drugs n that.

Big with the "nrinrinriNINInaNIII "...and everything just came to me" doofdoofdoof" , which is cool,and on some tracks that cool american industrial vocal technique where they try to sing on a track without their Mum hearing them singing grumpy things in their bedrooms at 3am.

It's actually a lot of fun, probably the darker side of druggy cheese, tends to blow ppl away the first album and then they realise the second album they find sounds exactly the same, then they get angry and then only Skinny Puppy can save them.

Oh, and if you really want da cheese, DL anything labelled "darkwave" brought out on Metropolis. It's like techno for goths, or industrial for little girls, I'm never sure which. Dark types that want to dance and never could believe in magick, but can believe in ecstacy:lol:

I could just wield a katana on a GSXr while wearing a trenchcoat to that, dudes :lol:

VM

Haha, sounds like some killer stuff Vert - I love the 'industrial for little girls' genre! :lol:

I've heard a little bit of VAC. I have one album and I think that sort of got me started in the tracey arena. Some more samples from Fear n Loathing - but with a somewhat darker note throughout. Some very twisted stuff on the album I have (Fun With Knives). A little too creepy in some tracks, but alright for a heavy beat and some interesting tunes.

Alk i haven't found that but then again we don't all know the same people so I won't say it doesn't happen (the sniggering and what not).

Peace,

Mind