The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Fugushi

P.marginatus?

Question

On my way to visit a friends place I noticed 3 groups of plants of about 7-10 columns each at a height of about 18ft+ I was in total awe, at first I thought they were the most beautiful scops I had ever seen. Moving closer I noticed the spines/areoles looked somewhat connected meaning not what I had hoped.

Since the owner wasn't home I wrote a note saying what amazing plants they were and if it would be fine for me to get a cut please call. Next day he did and this was the smallest "pup" that I saw. He went around the back and laid the boot into the smaller ones that I didn't notice initially.

Anyways, what the posts about... Would everyone else call this a P.marginatus aswell or could it be something else ? He said when in bloom the flowers are red if that helps any.

post-1407-1217238180_thumb.jpg

I have other pics if needed, I need to go back and get a shot of the massive mother plants.

3 answers to this question

Yeah Pachycereus marginatus, although I call it Stenocereus marginatus but these are synonyms. Nice find they are very beautiful and very BIG plants, up to 7m.

Thats quite handy to know, I wasn't aware that Steno was synonymos with Pachy, thanks for the info.

So Sten & Pachy are like Echinopsis and Trichocereus in a sense ?

Yeah Pachycereus marginatus, although I call it Stenocereus marginatus but these are synonyms. Nice find they are very beautiful and very BIG plants, up to 7m.

Some people were actively trying to lump a lot of things into Stenocereus a few years ago.

Most people reject this particular one though. (including those calling the shots on acceptable naming)

The flowers and fruit are just too different to buy this species as a good lump. (not to mention its extremely divergent chemistry)

Pachycereus is the genus name that is presently en vogue as its accepted name with the ICSG.

The thing to remember about the lumper and splitter issues is that lumpers rule primarily as no burden of proof is expected from a lumper. All that is needed is to publish the combination and have people agree with you to the point they start using it. (Hence the insistence from some people that we all must comply and participate in their desired group validation process.)

Watch for both Echinopsis and Mammillaria to get carved apart in future years similarly to what has happened with the former supergenus Opuntia.

This process is likely to go back and forth forever as it is as much political as botanical. Perhaps more so.