The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Auxin

Narcotic seed of Verbascum thapsus?

Visiting the local botanical gardens I saw that mullein had spread like wildfire out of their ill-conceived 'common weeds' section (along with opium poppies :lol: ) and since their infestation is about to go to seed I re-checked the info on it and my instinct was right, according to pfaf the seed is reportedly narcotic!

Great mullein is a commonly used domestic herbal remedy, valued for its efficacy in the treatment of pectoral complaints[4]. It acts by reducing the formation of mucus and stimulating the coughing up of phlegm, and is a specific treatment for tracheitis and bronchitis[254]. The leaves and the flowers are anodyne, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antispasmodic, astringent, demulcent, diuretic, emollient, expectorant and vulnerary[4, 7, 13, 21, 46, 53, 165, 222]. An infusion is taken internally in the treatment of a wide range of chest complaints and also to treat diarrhoea[4, 238]. The plant combines well with other expectorants such as coltsfoot (Tussilago farfara) and thyme (Thymus vulgaris)[254]. Externally, a poultice of the leaves is a good healer of wounds and is also applied to ulcers, tumours and piles[4, 222, 254]. Any preparation made from the leaves needs to be carefully strained in order to remove the small hairs which can be an irritant[7]. The plant is harvested when in flower and is dried for later use[238]. An infusion of the flowers in olive oil is used as earache drops, or as a local application in the treatment of piles and other mucous membrane inflammations[4, 222, 238]. This infusion is also strongly bactericidal[4]. A decoction of the roots is said to alleviate toothache and also relieve cramps and convulsions[4]. The juice of the plant and powder made from the dried roots is said to quickly remove rough warts when rubbed on them[4]. It is not thought to be so useful for smooth warts[4]. The seeds are slightly narcotic and also contain saponins[4]. A poultice made from the seeds and leaves is used to draw out splinters[4]. A decoction of the seeds is used to soothe chilblains and chapped skin[7]. A homeopathic remedy is made from the fresh leaves[4]. It is used in the treatment of long-standing headaches accompanied with oppression of the ear[4].
pfaf

Has anyone tried smoking the seeds off this critter?

If I time my return to the gardens right I may be able to get a load of seeds and they wont mind since their too understaffed to keep the escaped weeds controlled, thus I also checked AQIS with thoughts of sending some off to AFSR in mind but thapsus is like the only species they dont list? The fucks up with that? Am I forgetting a synonym? AQIS

Hehe, that's pretty funny. "And here is where we keep the horribly invasive species...you'll also notice some over there, and over here, and a few in that bed....Hmmm. "

Did they put any Tribulus terrestris in there? Or perhaps some Peganum? Those oughta work in your area, huh? Maybe you could make some suggestions :P

Anyway, here's a few of the synonyms for V. thapsus. Have fun searching all of them!

Theres some sort of Tribulus species here... in abundance! Dogs hate it but bicycle tire salesmen love it. They also make good tooth picks.

I sure hope P. harmala can survive the winters here! Finally got the bugger to grow and it looks like they'll be the size of dandelions by winter.

I do wish they would plant more 'fun' species in those gardens. If they are gonna spread an invasive species they could at least be polite enough to select noxious weeds that make you see GOD ;)

the roots sound interesting to.......i'd read of the flower heads having strongly sedative effects...assume that includes the seeds......midwinter here ,their large basal rosettes atm,months til flowering.

t s t .

the roots sound interesting to.......i'd read of the flower heads having strongly sedative effects...assume that includes the seeds......midwinter here ,their large basal rosettes atm,months til flowering.

t s t .

smoking seed yay...Ill give it a go tho, sounds promising

I'm growing mullien right now. They are about a year old. I hear they set seed the second year. I'll be watching this thread keenly. I doubt it's all that good given all the false alarms I've heard over the years.

Hehe, that's pretty funny. "And here is where we keep the horribly invasive species...you'll also notice some over there, and over here, and a few in that bed....Hmmm. "

Classic, mate, just classic. :lol:

I was just waiting for a bunch of people to pour in their experiences but apparently this forum doesn't have many people who tried it. I can say that on another forum people only reported minor sedation but they were smoking leaf, not seeds.

edit: Sorry, I might have been thinking of moth mullein. http://www.entheogen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12723 This guy says he got extremely stoned from common mullein.

Edited by Aopocetx