The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Pixel

better to buy or find?

:shroomer:

Personally I find the concept of paying for mushrooms ludicrous, they grow prolifically in nature.

The whole hunting process is rewarding too, in my opinion.

But I suppose in an area where you cannot find them growing there's not much choice.

i would much rather invest time and effort into hunting than put a $ on the experience, if i were that way inclined.

Well considering hunting and buying pose serious risks (from mis-ID to breaking the law, depending on species), you might as well knock together a couple batches of your favourites in the privacy of your home. Growing means you can be assured of ID (both hunting and buying from strangers [and even supermarkets] have serious risks) as well as avoiding chances of mouldy/contam'ed fungi. Also, the process of growing anything means that you have a deeper connection to the food you eat (goes from anything from fruit/veg to fungi). Plus, it is an unusual hobby with many things to learn. Of course, you should be sticking to good old agaricus bisporus (button mushroom) for an easy growing species :wink:

Edited by Ace

Yer I would agree Ace. I wouldn't trust myself going picking why would I trust some tool that's just trying to make a quid... If your lucky (And dumb) you might just get dried button mushrooms :P

From what I have read growing mushrooms is pretty easy AND cheap. There are a lot of good sites with plenty of Teks on growing various species.

In the start of the hobby you might need a lil' outlay, few hundred AT MOST, but its a one off cost cause you will have the shit forever.

That cost versus the cost of buying the mushrooms plus the danger buying off some dude.

Growing wins hands down IMO.

Gen

If I want a good quality beer and can't be bothered putting in the time and effort involved in brewing it, then I'll head down to the bottle shop and buy a carton. And just because I paid money for that carton, it doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. And the same goes for a nice drop of red wine.

I agree though, the times I have brewed the beer myself have been the most rewarding when I finally crack them and enjoy them, as a relationship with the process and the final product was developed, therefore making it a more intimate experience and overall more enjoyable.

I'm sure the same could be said for fungus, it really just depends on how much effort you want to put in.

If I want a good quality beer and can't be bothered putting in the time and effort involved in brewing it, then I'll head down to the bottle shop and buy a carton. And just because I paid money for that carton, it doesn't mean I enjoy it any less. And the same goes for a nice drop of red wine.

I agree though, the times I have brewed the beer myself have been the most rewarding when I finally crack them and enjoy them, as a relationship with the process and the final product was developed, therefore making it a more intimate experience and overall more enjoyable.

I'm sure the same could be said for fungus, it really just depends on how much effort you want to put in.

an excellent metaphor, very wise. thanks for that :)