The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Gonzo: The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson (2008)

From Here...

Synopsis: Few journalists have attained the notoriety of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. His legendary status is due as much to his scintillating writing as his outrageous antics. He became a living legend whose persona often overshadowed his work. However, Thompson's steadfast ability to remain true to his... Few journalists have attained the notoriety of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson. His legendary status is due as much to his scintillating writing as his outrageous antics. He became a living legend whose persona often overshadowed his work. However, Thompson's steadfast ability to remain true to his convictions created an entirely new style of journalism, dubbed "gonzo," and has solidified his place in history as one of America's most influential writers and rebels. Fueled by a raging libido, Wild Turkey, and superhuman doses of drugs, Thompson was a true iconoclast: goring sacred cows with impunity, hilarity, and a steely-eyed obsession to right wrongs. Focusing on the good doctor's heyday--from 1965 to 1975--the film also includes clips of never-before-seen (and heard) home movies and audiotapes, and passages from unpublished manuscripts. Director Alex Gibney intelligently interviews a broad spectrum of Thompson's peers and paints a three-dimensional portrait that reveals what a larger-than-life icon he was, a man whose actions both attracted and repelled the people closest to him. What's remarkable is how daring he truly was in taking on the establishment and how absent that voice is today. His passing created a void that may never be filled, but Gibney's terrific film, in doing justice to the writer, the legend, and the man, at least helps preserve his legacy.

:bong:

Picture%202-112.jpg Edited by Legba

As well as the hells angels.

Which he hung around with a english cycle, don't remember the type.

A small problem of a bar fight made him a non interested observer of preditors where one of them was going to crack his scull with a godzilla grip rock after he was punched out, but a gang member said no.

One can walk on the wild side but gangs, alcohol,and bars don't mix if one's a outsider.

Ahh I love Thompson. He is a great author and truly a character that will go down in history as one of a kind.

"Too weird to live, and too rare to die"

Now to find somewhere in Melbourne this is showing.

Gen

Don't know if any of these have been posted here before but just in case they haven't..

The Life and Work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson: http://www.torrentportal.com/torrents-details.php?id=3397678

Buy the ticket take the ride: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3583734/Hunter...t_Take_the_Ride

Breakfast with Hunter S Thompson: http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3611617/Breakf...003_Documentary

I don't know much about the guy really but I come across documentaries about him from time to time, there are more available if anyone is interested?

While we're posting links to films about Hunter, has anyone seen this? Not as good as Johnny Depp, but Bill Murray does a pretty good Hunter.

Where the Buffalo Roam

And yeah Baphomet, I'm interested. More please.

Edited by salem13

Cools, cant wait to get my hands on a copy.

Thanks Bap, probably one of the better links you've posted :)

Breakfast with Hunter S Thompson iv seen a while ago, but cant remember it as i was.. well i was making Thompson proud and ended up falling asleep pretty early into it. The life and work of Dr. Hunter S. Thompson sounds like ittle be well worth the watch.

Thanks again

Sweet! I just watched Fear and Loathing and tho it doesn't show psychoactives in a very good light, and I really don't like what he says about the 60s, but the movie is very funny!

"Back, back in the tub you weird fucker!"

Lol. yea fear and loathing has too many great quotes to mention.

Teoz, What part dident you like about what he says about the 60s, The part where Gonzo is in the tub or at the end?

No, no... he has a little monologe (spelling?) towards the end... he's in front of a type writer, I believe...

It was just depressing... I'll try to find it and post it...

"Who said anything about slicing you up man? I just wanted to cut a little "Z" in your forehead." -Dr. Gonzo

~Teotzlcoalt~

*Note*- The above qoute isn't what I was talkin' about, it's just funny.

Lol yea that line kicks ass, i always seem to use it in strange situations where noone gets it, makes me look weird..but its worth it :)

Yea i think i know the one, about timothy leary's flaw,going around selling mind expansion pills for 3 dollars a pop, it goes on but yea, i find that depressing too.

The other one earlier in the movie tho is great, where it has flashbacks of the 60s, kind of inspiring, but also depressing too as that feeling hes talking about is no longer with us these days.

AH, just did a quick search, as i thought anyone who hasent watched the movie might want to hear it as a little introspective thought from the great man mind.

All those pathetically eager acid freaks who thought they could buy Peace and Understanding for three bucks a hit. But their loss and failure is ours, too. What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole life-style that he helped to create...a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old mystic fallacy of the Acid Culture: the desperate assumption that somebody-or at least some force-is tending the Light at the end of the tunnel.

From the Great one.

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

http://www.physorg.com/news136656138.html

'The basic idea behind the process is akin to stacking round fruits or vegetables in a supermarket produce bin in high, neat rows to keep the produce from falling to the floor as customers pick them out. Doing this with nanoscale particles of different sizes leads to opalescence, since some colors of light are reflected differently depending on the size of the holes between the nanoparticles and the angle from which they are viewed.

http://www.physorg.com/news136647907.html

' As a final step, to weed out inferior replacements, the system ranks the resulting images according to how well the hybrid face fits the surrounding region in the original photograph, and chooses the highest ranked replacement for insertion. '

http://www.physorg.com/news136642765.html

'"We were astonished because this is not an astronomic cycle but an Olympian cycle, one of social events ... One does not need a piece of high technology to keep track of a simple four-year cycle," he said. "It is perhaps not extravagant to see the mechanism as a microcosm illustrating the temporal harmonization of human and divine order." -------------------------------------

I liked Dr. Hunter S. Thompson but a over the top on (iboga) and above the above top.

The man gave me pleasure on reading so let him rest in peace.

A movie might do so or not who knows.

A real man isn't as good as a icon for political purposes.

I can write but I almost said porpoise.

Well I did like the movie on Jim Morrison's life.

With the actor's name which I can't remember but played in a batman movie.

Didn't like him in the one time past batman movie.

Lets hope a better actor.

And better for the next Tomp movie.

Bill Murray Would pretty good {not best sorry Bill}but whos going to play the deranged lawyer?

Yea i think i know the one, about timothy leary's flaw,going around selling mind expansion pills for 3 dollars a pop, it goes on but yea, i find that depressing too.

That's the one... tho I'm not an advocate of LSD.

Bill Murray Would pretty good {not best sorry Bill}but whos going to play the deranged lawyer?

Um, maybe the dad from Everybody Loves Raymond :P

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081748/

Nope.

He did a movie called [The friends of Eddy Coyle] as hit guy.

'http://www.amazon.com/The-Friends-of-Eddie-Coyle/dp/B000IBUP6A

And then later a Mel Brooks movie [Young Frankenstein]

---------------------------------------------------

And the the father of Canstaza on Zienfield was the hit man for the Steve Mcqueen movie {The Get Away} and in the first Godfather movie [The turk].

So old hit guys on TV become a judge first and a on sitcom later if very good.

But anyones guess on a movie for H. Tompson.

the movie was only good because it was about someone interesting but it wasn't very well done, too straight edge and it coulda focused on more interesting aspects of his life, shit politics are just depressing!!!!

Morton Downy Jr. as Tompson maybe?

But not so sure.

Would have to have a very good actor for the drugged lawyer.

Chrisopher Waken.

But such a good actor would take over the movie plot without even trying.

I got nothing.

And it would have be hard edged.

they should stick to depp and del toro. most expensive doco ever filmed. then nobody will return their copy to the video store, so they will actually make millions in DVD sales.

Haha let me guess. the copy of Fear and Loathing was stolen from yer local movie rental place.. like every other place with the movie.

Teotz... The book is depressing, cuz that's the reality of the situation. HST had amazing insight and I believe the half fictitious over-embellished version of their happenings in las vegas, can be taken as an allegorical reflection of the human (especially american) condition.

Not HST's but i love this line "The thing about the American Dream is you have to be asleep to believe it".

The only sad thing about hist quest to find the American Dream was the fact he woke up to reality, and the idea vanished just as the 60's revolution did.

It is a very lamentful story of the failed hopes of the hippie generation. Their failure is ours.. we inherit this legacy and from it can only grow, or lament over their loss. What's the point though? we are the change we're waiting for. I like HST's sarcastic and often depressing critique of society/politics etc.. But that should be a departure point between their failed hopes and our new hope. We can see what delusions tripped them up.. the idea of a greater intelligence guiding the way, when in reality WE are that intelligence, we need to take responsibility for where we guide ourselves. No matter how many peak experiences convince you of determinism, remember you're in control, don't rely on the commodities of temporary Nirvana to chill in some careless bliss. All experiences are transient, so the lesson to learn is Integration of the dizzy new heights into the depressing lows. And the realization that all things (such as the reign of the evil reptillain warlord) must come to an end.

"we're in a goddamn reptile zoo, and somebody was giving booze to these animals' - possible misquote.