The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
NorthernComfort

ID help......

Question

Greetings.

I picked up these cacti from a local garden center. Only the one was labeled and I'd like to verify that one and then ID the other two.

Unknown #1 ...... This one looks familiar to me, but I'll be damned if I can recall even the specie name.

unknown_1.jpg

Unknown #2 ...... I thought this one was an Ariocarpous when I saw it but now I'm not so sure....

unknown_2_b.jpg

unknown_2_a.jpg

And then there is this one. Label states Trichocereus grandifloris 'Hybrid'.......... What do you guys think?

trichocereus_grandifloris_1.jpg

trichocereus_grandifloris_2.jpg

10 answers to this question

1) Gymnocalycium spp.

2) Evil Genius is right, I think it's Echinopsis Subdedantum.

3) Is probably what the lable says.

Those are my best guess, don't take them ask fact.

Edited by Teotz'

Damn! I was WAAAAY off!

I've never even seen that cactus before! Strange... I assume it gets much bigger?

Fuck me! I must have been drugged! Or drunk. Or both. It has to be "subdenudata"! What a Typo! :lol: Seems like you have to write another label! bye Eg

Ah yes... ok makes more sense now.

Good ID Evil.

#1 looks like Gymnocalycium baldianum, a somewhat common plant in collections. #2 looks a tad bit more like an immature Echinocereus subinermis to me rather than Echinopsis subdenudata. The two look a lot alike and the flower will answer it. The former will have yellow flowers with a spiney flower stem while the latter will have white flowers with a hairy stem. #3 is probably an Echinopsis hybrid as these are extremely common.

~Michael~

I'm a cacti id noob but I have a cactus the same as #2 little spines and all and it was labeled Echinopsis semidenudata, should have a white flower if it gets heaps of light.

Hope this helps :)

#1 looks like Gymnocalycium baldianum, a somewhat common plant in collections.

The Gymnocalycium spp. has flowered. The flower is only open in the daytime and is a red/pinkish flower.

Really beautiful! I'll post some pics up soon. Also has 4 other 'buds' forming....more flowers to come!