The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
KlUe

Grafted loph question

I've noticed this Koehresii is getting a few little red marks on it. At first thought it looked like orange rot, as similar experience in the past.

But this seems to be more superficial. Could physical damage cause this maybe?

Cheers!

KlUe

post-2817-1212893968_thumb.jpg

Edited by KlUe

Hey KLUE.

I had the exact same thing with many of my grafted lophs. It is definety a bacterial disease. Check out this thread over at Aus cacti forum. I didnt realise it was bacterial and treated one of my plants for spider mite by raising humidity. The result of that you can see via the link.

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/pests-disea...essing-t197.htm

Hey KLUE.

I had the exact same thing with many of my grafted lophs. It is definety a bacterial disease. Check out this thread over at Aus cacti forum. I didnt realise it was bacterial and treated one of my plants for spider mite by raising humidity. The result of that you can see via the link.

http://forum.auscactiforum.net/pests-disea...essing-t197.htm

Cheers dude, will check it out now :D

Ok, have treated all the lophs with Mancozeb Plus (luckily had some already), just wanna make sure none of the others pop up with any marks -- Will let ya kno how it goes.

You can observe natural selection in progress by exposing all your plants to the bacteria. Those which become symptomatic can/should be immediately treated and then placed on a treatment regime maybe forever or maybe just until they are older.

The ones which prove hardiest are the good stock and you can use them for future propagation.

Lucky you caught it, that stuff chews through cactus FAST.

Good idea Sina. Didn't really think of it that way. I did notice a few of mine were not effected at all.

Still not much change since I've started treated them (found another couple with minor attack) - I don't think it's gotten any worse however, which is the main thing at this stage.. I guess?

When/if successful, will the rot change from the redish colour to more of a brown type scarred look?

Peace

I though this kind of rot is a fungus not a bacteria? (Fusarium oxysporum)

I have had it - ( and still do) on plants that I just can't clear up it seems to go away and then comes back.

did you have lots of fungus gnats before you got the rot??

I though this kind of rot is a fungus not a bacteria? (Fusarium oxysporum)

I have had it - ( and still do) on plants that I just can't clear up it seems to go away and then comes back.

did you have lots of fungus gnats before you got the rot??

Hey watertrade, nah I've not seen any fungus gnats in my greenhouse before. Damn rot!!!

Hey watertrade, nah I've not seen any fungus gnats in my greenhouse before. Damn rot!!!

right ... ok then . I was working on a theory of gnats and rot. :)

right ... ok then . I was working on a theory of gnats and rot. :)

Not to say they don't cause it, but yeah haven't seen them around the area - I was under the impression they'd stick around if there was already a problem with fungus though rather than causing any trouble?

Edited by KlUe

My hypothesis of fungus gnats and orange rot was based on a few observations of orange rot following scarid fly - The fungus gnats also eat fine plant roots which I thought could be an ideal break in the defences of the plant. Orange rot, from pictures I've seen actually starts inside the plant and not on the surface as it appears to.

So the rot starts in the really moist soil (have you had really moist soil recently?) Enters the plant through the damaged roots and ends up in the plant and 'breaking out' on the surface.... just an idea which seems to make sense to me anyway.

I could be completely wrong too. ;)

I also think the fungus that that gnats eat would be just growing in the soil. - The fungus in/on the plant would be a different. And not eaten by the gnats. Again I can't back it up with any evidence

Cheers

To answer Klue's earlier question.

will the rot change from the redish colour to more of a brown type scarred look?
Mine are very slowly healing up. Thet are still scarred but the red is turning a brown as you suggest. It does take a while to. I first treated mine mid April and progress has only just started. This could be as result of the plants growing very slowly due to the cold weather. Some of my grafts have gone completely dormant and are not growing at all.

To answer Klue's earlier question. Mine are very slowly healing up. Thet are still scarred but the red is turning a brown as you suggest. It does take a while to. I first treated mine mid April and progress has only just started. This could be as result of the plants growing very slowly due to the cold weather. Some of my grafts have gone completely dormant and are not growing at all.

Cheers dude, hopefully if I keep careful with the treatment and environment it'll start healing like yours :)