The Corroboree
fractium

Ultimate Cactus Rooting Method

Its easy jeane, just log on to SAB, then look at the upper right hand corner of the screen.

Click help.

I found it helpful, anyway.

VM

the help is totally not helpful help. help!

Hey jeane, when you make a post look under the text box for a section for attachments. On the right there's a grey button for 'browse' and a green button for 'upload'. Click the button for 'browse' and it should open a box with all the files on your computer. All you need to do is find the photo you want to post and double click. This will enter the file name in the box to the left of the browse button. Once the file name is there, click the green upload button. This will upload the photo from your harddrive onto the forum. Then just click 'add reply' as per usual and when your post appears on the forum the photo will be attached for all to see.

Note, this will only work if you have your photo stored on your computer which I presume you do. Adding photos from the internet is a magicians trick I have yet to master, being computer illiterate as I am.

I even wonder if I made any sense. Works for me though. Good luck.

Micro

When you click "reply", somewhere down the bottom there should be something about "attachments"... hit "browse"... find the piccy you want (hint: some of us are still on dialup, our muppets cant run any faster, so please resize to something sensible unless its a truly amazing and highly useful pic with critical details), highlight it, click open, click "upload", wait til it stops farting around.. now when you hit submit post, itwill have your file attached.

Unless you see the forum as a blue n white mainly text thing, in which case, I can't help you.

VM

edity... see, help comin out of year ears now :P

Edited by Vertmorpheus

yea i figured as far as that but when i upload it, a wee sign comes up saying please enter the URL or something. bugger and damnation, im sure i will eventually figure it out though

yea i figured as far as that but when i upload it, a wee sign comes up saying please enter the URL or something. bugger and damnation, im sure i will eventually figure it out though

Hi jeane, I haven't followed all your posts but I gather you r having trouble putting up a picture. You could try signing up with an online photo storage site such as photobucket. Last time I checked it was free and I've never had any spam, just the occasional email from them about new features. Once stored there you can copy, or write down the url for your picture which you can copy by right clicking on the picture and then you are given a few options including copy link or url or something like that. I've had trouble pasting into the forums with stuff I've copied from outside of the forum so you might want to write it down. So when the box pops up enter the link from photobucket or whatever site you use and the picture should appear in your post....I think!

Sorry if someone has already told you all this, or if I'm wrong and it doesn't work :wink:

Hi jeane, I haven't followed all your posts but I gather you r having trouble putting up a picture. You could try signing up with an online photo storage site such as photobucket. Last time I checked it was free and I've never had any spam, just the occasional email from them about new features. Once stored there you can copy, or write down the url for your picture which you can copy by right clicking on the picture and then you are given a few options including copy link or url or something like that. I've had trouble pasting into the forums with stuff I've copied from outside of the forum so you might want to write it down. So when the box pops up enter the link from photobucket or whatever site you use and the picture should appear in your post....I think!

Sorry if someone has already told you all this, or if I'm wrong and it doesn't work :wink:

I'm just trying to upload a picture without using photobucket, just from my harddrive, if you see a piccie it worked for mepost-4603-1218101412_thumb.jpg

It worked. Jeane,the url promt comes up when u use the insert image button at the top of your reply window. I used the browse function at the bottom of where you write your post, uploaded attachment with the green button and then the "manage attachments" drop down above the green upload button to insert attachment. If this doesn't work then chances are your picture file is too big or a type (file extension) which is not supported. Mine was a jpg. This isn't the best place to be taking up time with this. If you are still having problems PM someone such as VM, myself, or a moderator, or start your own thread. Actually there probably should be a whole sections just on how to use Corroboree , and what things mean, for example the Day Tripper under my name at left, what do these titles mean and how are they assigned,and what's the blue box (no of posts spose), I have been unable to find anything which explains this in any detail and I've been too embarrassed to ask. Good luck :)

PS: I too have found the Help pages to be of little help. They often don't tell you how to do things, just that you can do them. But the nice people here make up for any shortfalls.

post-4603-1218101412_thumb.jpg

post-4603-1218101412_thumb.jpg

Edited by markcond

hey mark, tried "site and forum matters"? :P

Don't PM me, I'm no help with these things, they just kind of happen.

Did you bring your black chicken killed by an old man? Could be your problem!

Try looking under the "Vodoun" or "Santeria" sections of the help pages :P

VM

hey mark, tried "site and forum matters"? :P

Don't PM me, I'm no help with these things, they just kind of happen.

Did you bring your black chicken killed by an old man? Could be your problem!

Try looking under the "Vodoun" or "Santeria" sections of the help pages :P

VM

Bugger, you beat me VM :slap: . I was just going over "site and forum matters" and about to edit my post to reflect this. Although a lot of the stuff there I found to be of limited help, and it could take someone ages to find exactly what they need cause there's so much random stuff there. Although they could use the "brilliant" search tool :P OK jeane don't PM VM, I think he just wants to play with your chicken :lol: , or maybe he really wants an old man.

I'll be buggerd (old man not included) I'm now a psychonaut, gotta go bang my head against a wall quick!!!

Edited by markcond

Well having a spirited look and bringing us a few lil tokens of your travels never hurts, if you just want to... I don't know... post a new topic if you can't find it covered?

We help those that help themselves... like the salvos, but with much funnier uniforms and tastier biscuits.

VM

I think I might have speeded up my rooting.

No dark spot.

Put them in my bright warm grow box with the seedlings.

Don't pot them, leave the callus dry but spray the whole cutting every second day with NAA,Butyric acid and Echinacea Purpurea(Circon).

The light, NAA and Cirkon encourages the cactus to metabolise.

The repeated addition of butyric acid... Not sure if it helps. I think it's more the metabolic action that gets it going.

After almost a month the bottom parts has those swelling cracks in it that usually preceeds rooting and the tips has shown some new growth.

Now I just put them ontop of some fungicidal media slightly mositened just standing on their cut surfaces.

I think they should root in a couple of days... Will let ya know how it goes.

I sprayed some Loph seedlings with this mix too, lots of them has pupped and they are still like 4mm wide. I either have W.L.caespitosa seedlings or this mix is whacked.

Edited by George

I think I might have speeded up my rooting.

No dark spot.

Put them in my bright warm grow box with the seedlings.

Don't pot them, leave the callus dry but spray the whole cutting every second day with NAA,Butyric acid and Echinacea Purpurea(Circon).

The light, NAA and Cirkon encourages the cactus to metabolise.

The repeated addition of butyric acid... Not sure if it helps. I think it's more the metabolic action that gets it going.

After almost a month the bottom parts has those swelling cracks in it that usually preceeds rooting and the tips has shown some new growth.

Now I just put them ontop of some fungicidal media slightly mositened just standing on their cut surfaces.

I think they should root in a couple of days... Will let ya know how it goes.

I sprayed some Loph seedlings with this mix too, lots of them has pupped and they are still like 4mm wide. I either have W.L.caespitosa seedlings or this mix is whacked.

George, you got any info where to get the NAA,Butyric acid and Echinacea Purpurea(Circon) without too much hassle? Would hydro shops sell it? I've been trying that purple all purpose rooting gel from Bunnings, don't know if it's helping or not yet. That shit with the Lophs sounds wild :drool2:

Got the NAA, butyric acid as a liquid rooting mix from a local nursery and the cirkon as a local product called Lucky plant.

You should be able to get the purpurea extract from a Chemist organic suppliment section where you are.

I got the advice somewhere a while back to spray the whole cutting with rooting formula, I just went a bit further of doing a couple of applications. Will see what happens this week.

Hmmmm, so this pedro pup, a bit larger than a golf ball, which I poped out from my pedro has little chances to root??? Should I condider grafting ?? I actually decided to pop it out despite some friendly advice that it might be difficult to root, mainly because they were threee of them [pups] right next to each other and they started to touch and also to determine how small pups I would be able to root... Hmmm...

I also have that other strain of pedro jono gave away sever months ago... I haven't yet decided how to handle it, since it has grown quite wide at the top, while being rather weak and thinny at the base, so it will propably not be able to carry its weight and I should do something... I hope my broadband access restores soon so I can share my cactus pics and new growing experiences with the community...

Always nice to read around here :)

It's working.

I think the theory I was toying with is that the faster the cutting metabolizes /photosynthesizes the quicker it will decide to have a rooting response. The added hormones might have just added to this equation.

My rooting box has bright light inside it and a heating pad to keep it 35 degrees Celcius. The lights are on a timer but the pad remains powered.

Hmmmm, so this pedro pup, a bit larger than a golf ball, which I poped out from my pedro has little chances to root??? Should I condider grafting ?? I actually decided to pop it out despite some friendly advice that it might be difficult to root, mainly because they were threee of them [pups] right next to each other and they started to touch and also to determine how small pups I would be able to root... Hmmm...

I rooted a whole bunch of pups from a bridgesii that had a broom effect because of a parasite.

puproot.jpg

tub.jpg

Here is the box. I doubled the lighting shortly after this pic. I got the idea from a thread I looked at a while back but I added a reptile heating pad you can't see, it's stuck to the bottom. I have been rooting stuff and growing seedlings through the whole of winter.

I also grew a small army of pereskiopsis through out the cold of winter with the help of this contraption.

Edited by George

so this pedro pup, a bit larger than a golf ball, which I poped out from my pedro has little chances to root?

Like George said, they'll root fine - as long as they dont dehydrate before setting roots. This can be avoided by rooting under a fluoro or in a bright but shady spot outdoors in the warmer times of the year. However I usually tend to lose tiny cuttings to rot because I try to keep them too moist before they root (I need to work on my timing and procedures with smaller cuts). BTW, George, that's a fantastic photo of the tiny bridgesii pup with the little roots :wub: (I might add, from what I've read witches broom continues even in cuttings - not sure if you'll be able to avoid it :unsure:)

it has grown quite wide at the top, while being rather weak and thinny at the base, so it will propably not be able to carry its weight

I'd be inclined to chop it at the top of the skinnier growth, allowing that section to pup (the skinnier trunk will be fine even with heavy pups - they tend to add girth once the top is chopped and it grows over time). The fatter section can then be planted as a regular cutting, although it might end up with a reverse look - fat at the bottom and skinny up top (until the root system becomes big enough to put out fat growth). Unfortunately thats just the way with cacti - but once everything is fully working (roots, light, feeding, etc) then they'll even out with width.

Another method of stabilising the skinny-bottomed-fat-topped cutting would be to bury the skinny part under the soil level. It will help with stabilising as well as offering more places for roots to form. Only downside is you lose a few cms in height (depending on the length of the skinniness).

so this pedro pup, a bit larger than a golf ball, which I poped out from my pedro has little chances to root?

Like George said, they'll root fine - as long as they dont dehydrate before setting roots. This can be avoided by rooting under a fluoro or in a bright but shady spot outdoors in the warmer times of the year. However I usually tend to lose tiny cuttings to rot because I try to keep them too moist before they root (I need to work on my timing and procedures with smaller cuts).

Yes, I needed to get some moisture on them to keep them hydrated. I had to do a fair amount of blasting with fungicide to keep the fungus at bay, only two of them decided to rot but even they were saved, I just washed the rot and sprayed them again with the fungicide. Once that root sticks out, its easy sailing.

BTW, George, that's a fantastic photo of the tiny bridgesii pup with the little roots :wub: (I might add, from what I've read witches broom continues even in cuttings - not sure if you'll be able to avoid it :unsure:)

Thanx. I am holding my thumbs. There is claims that the phytoplasma caused by parasites like cohinea might have been the cause of this. I removed every last trace of those bugger sap suckers so I hope the phytoplasma left along with them. So far it looks OK. All the grow tips that once seemed to be stalling is now growing(The actual pup balls). One or two of them have pupped but I am hoping those are just pups that was already in progress at the time I cut them. I should have a good idea by the end of this growing season.

Edited by George

Thanks both mates :)

Here are the photos of the pedro that has skinny base but has grown larger above...

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...25&start=25

I think I might go with this advise

Another method of stabilising the skinny-bottomed-fat-topped cutting would be to bury the skinny part under the soil level.

actually that's what I had thought in the first place....

as for the pup, hmmmm, I think it's bad news for it... it was propably accidentally watered and developed some black spots... since then [15 or so days] I have exposed it to a dry and bright place [it dehydrated quite a bit, but is still fleshy - propably a bad idea, but I feared for mould etc. if I tried to root it at once.... here it is...

dscn3363nb1.th.jpg

It is extremely hot around here, should I try the sock method to avoid getting the pup to get wet?? I still find it so funny to use a sock , that I really need to check this out :)

Here the pup's mother...

dscn3320yz5.th.jpg

Edited by mutant

Did that at first too and got mold, I had to clean them with a fungicide and a soft toothbrush. Blackspot only goes if you dab the area with rubbing alcohol.

You need to put them into media because the pup skin tissue needs some moisture to keep it from dehydrating. I wonder if there was a way to surround it with media without touching the callouse/cut part how that would have worked out.

Redoing it with sterile microwaved media and a weekly fungicidal spray worked in the end. But I had to check on them to see if they weren't getting any fungus or rot. Eventually the media(Coco peat) has a hole in it and you keep taking and sticking the pup back into it.

ohk, i had a cactus cutting sitting in a cool dark place, whilst waiting to root it. one day i looked at it and there was a hole in the cactus on the inside about ten cm along the outside edge but under the skin. i think the hole was in a spot were it was cut unevenly, questions; should i cut the length with the hole off altogether? or will it fix itself? what caused the hole? arggghhh! my poor cactus :(

should i cut the length with the hole off altogether? or will it fix itself? what caused the hole?

That sounds odd - I'm thinking some sort of bug? I'd inspect and ensure there is nothing in the hole to continue making swiss cheese of your cutting and then just make sure the new (hole-shaped) wounds are kept dry to avoid rot. It might have caused a bit of damage visually, but the cutting should still root and continue to grow fine. Cacti are tough as guts, so long as they dont rot to mush.

i doubt it would be a bug, i dont know much but it didnt look chomped on. maybe a disease?

yus! i finally have managed to upload a picture of my cactus.

can you help in identifying it please? and what mesculine content it has?

post-4522-1221287260_thumb.jpg

its apic from before it got a hole btw

Bump

I've got two stubborn little cuttings i've been trying to get to grow roots for ages. This might help.

cheers

This method has worked well for me

I had a cutting in perlite & cacti mix & about a week later i put another cutting of the same size in a sock next to it on a windowsill

The cutting in the sock has started to throw its first roots & the week older cut in perlite + cacti mix is yet to throw out any roots :wink:

Edited by mac