The Corroboree
Kenny Blister

Brugmansia Beauties

Nice plants Kenny. I love my brugs also. Apart from orchids and cacti they are one of my favourite flowering plants. Here is a lsit of what i have in my garden. I'll get pics soon. Brugmansia candida 'white' and 'peach' and 'double white', Brugmansia insignis 'yellow', Brugmansia aurea hybrd 'tantra', Brugmansia suaveolans 'white', Bugmansia versicolor 'peach', Brugmansia arborea, Brugmansia culebra and a few crosses i've made myself, most of which got chopped down because they weren't anything special but still got a couple outstanding plants that i kept. The arborea is self pollinating but another interesting thing is my brugmansia tantra also tends to be setting pods without my assistance. I think it is getting pollinated by the white suaveolans growing next to it. Not sure what is pollinating it but i'm assuming it is bees as i see lots of bees in the flowers.

sanquinea is not so suited to the tropical parts of australia

you've got that right, mine looks very sad indeed. I don't think i'll bother with this species here in the subtropics . It hates hot humid tropical climates. It does well in winter but as soon as summer arives, bang. It goes backwards and sttuggles. If really loves cooler areas and tolerates lots of cold compared to others.

happy growing all

I can only lick my chops at the moment at the wonderful varieties you folk have - my part of the world seems to be a bit depauperate in this taxon. Of course, I will be making my frustration worse by asking this - does anyone have any of the Iochroma group, and if so, how easy are they to propagate?

I've been drooling over some of the offers O/S, and wistfully wishing that I could find some of the cultivars at home. :drool2:

'tantra' is a candida,from crossing a yellow aurea with the common double white candida.

there are a number of different forms from that cross though,including a double yellow[with versicolour characteristics] ,a plant producing doubles and triples, and a plant which produces doubles and triples but has had 5 sets of petals on the one flower.and one with up to 8 pointed flowers.

the iochroma growing locally have some nice fruit on them,hoping for some seed.

i think they grow from cuttings.

i want the purple one that looks almost black when the flowers are young.

t s t .

do not move your pots!......one of my friends had beautiful brugs with no flowers,she rotated them regularly to get even growth.....i learnt from experience that if u move a brug u have to keep the same directional orientation or the plant will abort the current flowering cycle!

t s t .

Very interesting :) nice info thanks.. still, my brugs seem to have many flowering circles during the year... on the other hand it's very easy to shape a brug by trimming growth, almost at any time of the year, so rotating shouldn't be really necessary for shaping.... or am I just saying nonsense?

I have been wanting to get a sanguinea too, not sure if it will like mediterranean climate, but I will give it a try sometime anyway...

dscn3342gp9.th.jpg

It remains much the same,another flower is due.

It's not a keeper,calyx too long,flower doesn't open,smell becomes foul and it is white.

Gotta love the scent of brugs and how they seem to flower non-stop throughout the year. Each species has a unique scent. The species arborea smells like vanilla, what a beauty. Here is some pics of the flowers and pods (it is self pollinating).

post-899-1220416519_thumb.jpg

post-899-1220416562_thumb.jpg

Ooo,ahhh.

My second of four has emerged as white,will it change or is the cool weather impeding colouration?

garbage,dont judge by the first flower,its often different.flowers can vary with the weather conditions too,all yellow sanguineas in hot weather for example.

imo,arborea is the most amazing scent,the best of the brugs.....so much deeper in tones and rich without being overdone!

different sp definately smell differently........sauveolens means sweet and thats how it smells.

sanguinea no smell,flava ,none or similar but less strong than arborea.

t s t .

i love the irony of a hardline christian growing 'yerba diablo'.

as always prophet, beautiful plants, i miss ur visits to the nursery!! hope ur doin well.

garbage,dont judge by the first flower,its often different.flowers can vary with the weather conditions too,all yellow sanguineas in hot weather for example.

t s t .

the flower colors can change over time and with the conditions, but the all yellow sanquinea is just a geneticly all yellow flower.

The second of four hybrids,calyx is good,protrusion is good,flower is too Suaveolens white with an additional problem of crispy tendrils.

secondfw7.th.jpg

Not a keeper,two more plants to go.

the flower colors can change over time and with the conditions, but the all yellow sanquinea is just a geneticly all yellow flower.

my experience differs......sanguineas usually have trouble flowering in the hot weather but once when mine did there was no red on flowers which would usually be red and yellow!

t s t .

In the literature it's no flowers when it's too hot and green flowers when it's too cold,Sanguinea that is.

Also smaller flowers with less colour come autumn for the other group.

i love the irony of a hardline christian growing 'yerba diablo'.

as always prophet, beautiful plants, i miss ur visits to the nursery!! hope ur doin well.

lol @ yerba diablo. I can assure you i'm no diablo, I'm more of a yerbaphile :lol: Look forward to catching up with you to my friend. I'm doing ok. Hope all is well with you to.

imo,arborea is the most amazing scent,the best of the brugs.....so much deeper in tones and rich without being overdone!

yeah gotta love going for a walk outside in the evening and then you just get hit by this amazing scent. Its also interesting how it seems to flower non stop with always a few flowers on at any one time while the other brugmansias seem to flower in big bursts of flowers.

yeh,some of the others will form small flowers but wait to mature them until they have enough for a flush.

prophet is prob growing angels trumpets,lol!

t s t .

LOL :innocent_n:

Maybe i was looking at it all wrong,breed with the expectation of whites and wait for colours.

My Culebra shows no sign of flowering this year so looking at the resulting interesting crosses has been put back until 2010 at the earliest.

If they set a fruit in late july and the plant is greenhoused in late september the seed can be ready before christmas.

If not the plants really struggle with a half formed fruit and no leaves into January and thru to perhaps March.

With any luck the other two will have something to offer.

here a pic of my sanquinea, it's her first time she flowers and the trumpets allmost touch the pot! :wub: