The Corroboree
kadakuda

Lophophora Hybrids

Could someone please fill me in on the koehresii. Have not been able to find anything too specific about them in my searching

LINK - A little info on the species (and genus). Very similar to both L. fricii and L. diffusa. Longer, thinner petals with a light pink colouring.

updates. i have degrafted and regrafted some, but here are whats left on pereskiopsis

hybrid23.jpg

hybrid22.jpg

i also have some loph X ________ genera hybrids setting seeds. will post pics if anything comes of them :)

Looks great! Any flowers yet?!

Mine is on it's own roots now and seems to be doing great!!!

don't know till they grow :) get em planted!

how big is yours now teotz? the one i degrafted is starting to root now, so is only starting to regain its girth it lost while rooting.

now the fun begins! cant wait to see what they are!!!

whats the cross(es)? be sure to label them well and dont get em mixed up :)

It is just some of my lopho stock. Lw and some stuff from Mesa gardens.Its all the same to me.Just want some different flowers and some munitions. I only have pink and white so far.

Nice hybrids. Are you trying to say you have some intergeneric hybrids as well? Did you emasculate the flowers and isolate them to ensure that they were not accidentally self pollinated? More importantly, what technique did you utilize? Cut-style approach, grafted style? C'mon, enquiring minds want to know.

the past hybrids are all simple crosses (some with anthers removed, others not). i am waiting to see how they turn out before posting them :) so far, i have only considered "self sterile" species.

Self sterile or not, you may be encouraging a plant to self regardless depending on your technique. This happens in nature. Still, I hope your keeping pictures for your record book to keep for yourself regardless. Failed attempts are just as important as your successes. Each one attempted is another that you have to realize may work with a different plant of the same species. Try and try again and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I have great faith in what you can do if you keep trying and don't give up. I've seen some beautiful work here. Keep it up.

thanks :) yes i agree, this is why i dont mention some hybrids until they become obviously hybridized, this post being the exception lol

For me, it will be most interesting to see if these hybrids are compatible with both parents in the same degree of ease making natural or easy hybrids both ways or only one way? Perhaps, they may even be fertile only amongst siblings from this same cross. Whatever the case, I would love to see your sibling x sibling hybrids as well as crosses back to both parents utilizing the parents as mom and dad both. You may even find that these hybrids themselves are more easily out-crossed to jourdaniana or some other species so don't rule that out either.

indeed, but thats getting a little ahead of ourselves. these things are slow, so crosses are probably at minimum a year away, thats being optimistic. gotta get them there first :)

Kadakuda,

I stay up late getting ahead of myself with crosses. Half of the fun is contemplating and writing up the plan. Of course the best laid plan that doesn't bear fruit may still provide inspiration for other fruits. What is one year, two years, three years? Just moments in time slipping by. When the moment comes though, you had best have plenty of pollen stored up and plenty of plants ready to go or the moment slips on by for another moment to replace that moment and so on and so forth till you've forgotten which moment you were waiting for. After all, If we don't get ahead of ourselves someone else will.

updates on the biggest one. This one has a decent size tap now, and is growing well :) about 3-4cm diameter.

Its looking more and more like it is a hybrid....never seen a koehresii with this skin colour, and the rib shape even looks more fricii...not that that is a certain way of telling, but considering the mother was koehresii and the babies look like fricii and koehresii (some are differnet looking), im thinking it was probably a cross not a self. time will tell.

hybrid23.jpg

hybrid22.jpg

That last picture looks a lot like decipiens pictures I've seen from the top, though they all do look alike in most ways.

Do you believe that decipiens is actually a type of fricii, as commonly classified? I've thought that maybe decipiens IS a Koehresii and fricii hybrid before. The prevailing info on the web (at the moment) seems to be that it is a variety of williamsii, but no one has convinced me of that.

Edited by cactophyle

Do you believe that decipiens is actually a type of fricii, as commonly classified? I've thought that maybe decipiens IS a Koehresii and fricii hybrid before. The prevailing info on the web (at the moment) seems to be that it is a variety of williamsii, but no one has convinced me of that.

Theres a number of different types of "decipeins"... see my "White Peyote" thread.

im thinking it was probably a cross not a self. time will tell.

I think it's a cross! I think you did it!!! :)

Have you done a bioassay on decipiens Toetz?

:P

I hope that is a cross Kada, but either way that is a beautiful cactus for sure. I like the way the rib pattern goes all the way down to the base. I'm sorry to hear that the obregionaXloph hybrid is having difficulty making it to maturity. Maybe its just not meant to be, and the genetics of this type of hybrid are not sustainable.

With my limited resources and experience I'll probably just be crossing Turbinicarpus species for a while. That's not very glamorous, but it should be a fun hobby I hope! T. lophophoroides, alonsoi, jauernigii, schmiedickeanus, andersonii, and schwarzii are all quite handsome and I think.

turbs are no less glamorous than any other cacti. many people find Lophophora boring as hell. They are my favourite. I personally am not a hug fan of Trichocereus, but look at all teh trich nuts around here. everything is beautiful, depending who is looking :)

Well lophs are my favorite too, but I really am starting to like the Turbinicarpi a lot, even if only its perhaps because I feel they share common lineage with peyote. At heart I am a peyotist (and I'm 1/16th Cherokee, which isn't enough to count), but the laws don't permit me to live the way I would prefer. So largely I have to just drool over how lucky some of you are to have entire greenhouses devoted to what I consider the most sacred of all plants, and wish that I could do the same.

The Tubinicarpi I listed may appear to have sharp spines, but if you get one in your hand you will see that their spines are like cardboard, paper, or rubber, which is neat.

P.S.

I hate spines, they hurt.

well, looks like we got flowers. These plants were all born from koehresii mother, which has really light pink-white flowers. the father is a fricii which have darker pink flowers (at least the father of these does). the babies....look like daddy. guess without dna testing this is as close as we are going to get to being sure its a hybrid :)

got a bunch of plans with these for breeding projects, but the first few flowering times going to see if it will self.

anyway, pics are more important.

cross5.jpg

cross4.jpg

cross1.jpg

cross3.jpg

cross2.jpg

peace

Wonderful!

With self fertile species you can always remove the anthers of a developing flower to prevent selfing and then you can cross pollinate.

I wonder what the legality of loph hybrids is?

Lophophora williamsii is illegal here.

Exciting thread! Thanks a lot for sharing.

and yeah, everything is beautiful if you got the right pair of eyes...