The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
San Rainbow

Acacia Wanted

I am looking to buy acacias - maidenii, phlebopbophylla, simplicifolia & obtusifolia (small in size preferred) I have looked around the native nurseries but I have had no luck.

It seems odd that i cannot seem to find endangers species of native acacia in local nurseries I would have thought all native nurseries would be trying to preserve these plants?

would any know were to buy these plants or get a cutting?

Cheers

Edited by San Rainbow

Hello I live in the Melbourne region and I am looking to buy acacias - maidenii, phlebopbophylla, simplicifolia & obtusifolia (small in size preferred) I have looked around the native nurseries but I have had no luck.

It seems odd that i cannot seem to find endangers species of native acacia in local nurseries I would have thought all native nurseries would be trying to preserve these plants?

would any know were to buy these plants or get a cutting?

Cheers

good luck with cuttings!! im not to sure how well they would go!

ud be better of growing from seed. very easy to grow.

i believe ethno nurserys like SAB and Herbalistics stock seed of all the ones u have listed save for phleb.

Phleb seed i presume would be very hard to get hold of, and even harder to keep flourishing away from its endemic location.

but good luck mate!

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in maidenii and obtusifolia seeds

thanks for replies will check it out!

Cheers

Yea, iv tried many times to get a living cutting from my maidenii with kaka all chance :(

Ild try with going for seeds, or a small established plant so you dont have to go though the germination stage, altho that part of it aint so hard.

Peace

Edited by Jesus On Peyote

Apparently obtus from cutting is a very viable method

I haven't tried myself but a mate has had some good success

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in maidenii and obtusifolia seeds

hi coschi

i'm interested in some maidenii and obtusifolia seeds. I thought i'd better ask first if it was ok for me to pm you rather than just do it without your knowledge.

cheers

Apparently obtus from cutting is a very viable method

I haven't tried myself but a mate has had some good success

I think everyone would like to hear his/her technique!

I think everyone would like to hear his/her technique!

I certainly would be one of them. Seeds are pretty easy to germinate and the plants are easy enough to grow. Though it could be good for isolating preferred genotypes. I have read somewhere that some Acacia spp. are successfully propagated by cuttings, though the literature wasn't specific as to what species etc. I personally have never heard of anyone, firsthand, succeeding in cloning Acacia via regular techniques. I even tried (many, many years ago) with no success. Can't even remember the species? Anyway...

...more details...evidence if possible?

A technique has been successfully developed to clonally propagate Acacia bayleyana (sp?) prostrate form. But that's all I know of, although I'm sure there's more.

Using your root hormone powder/gel as a dilute foliar spray on cuttings is a method that has been used on natives with good success apparently.