The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Spines

Saving pollen for future fertilisation

Hi All,

wrote a post earlier today about giving away some Astrophytum pollen I have, and the thought crossed my mind - how do I save it? In fact not just Astrophytum asterias cv red flower pollen, but any cacti pollen? I sure want to save my Loph pollen if I can't match up two non self fertilising species that wont flower together.

Do I just rip off the flower and turn it upside down in a plastic bag - give it a tap - seal it - and away I go? I began to wonder - would it last? How long would it stay ok to pollinate another plant. Would I have to freeze dry it and store at 10 degrees kelvin? You know - the usual stuff.

Does anyone have any experience in this (no sperm bank replies please)?

Spines

Would I have to freeze dry it and store at 10 degrees kelvin?
:lol: only if you plan to live to 200. My general method for storing dryable pollens (like hot peppers, cactus, and well.. most things except orchids) is to catch it in a mini-spoon, a small test tube, a small beaker, or a stainless steel pollen collecting gizmo I made, then desiccate it over anhydrous silica gel desiccant for a day or two, then put it in a microcentifuge tube, with the tube open put it back in the desiccator overnight, then reach in and snap the little tube shut, then I take a medicine bottle, fill it half with sand, stick the tube in the middle, fill the rest the way with sand, put on cap, label the bottle, store in the back of the freezer (in the back is best, less temp variation), then when I need it I get the tube out of the sand and let the tube warm up to room temp before opening it.

By that method most pollens will be viable after 3 to 5 years

A large 1.5 ml microcentifuge tube:

index_clip_image001.jpg

0.5 ml is also available

Damn,

and there was me thinking I'd just need a tissue and a paper bag.

Thanks for that Aux - a very informative answer. I'll see what I can do with desiccant - maybe some rice? I honestly didn't think that it would be that difficult.

:lol: only if you plan to live to 200. My general method for storing dryable pollens (like hot peppers, cactus, and well.. most things except orchids) is to catch it in a mini-spoon, a small test tube, a small beaker, or a stainless steel pollen collecting gizmo I made, then desiccate it over anhydrous silica gel desiccant for a day or two, then put it in a microcentifuge tube, with the tube open put it back in the desiccator overnight, then reach in and snap the little tube shut, then I take a medicine bottle, fill it half with sand, stick the tube in the middle, fill the rest the way with sand, put on cap, label the bottle, store in the back of the freezer (in the back is best, less temp variation), then when I need it I get the tube out of the sand and let the tube warm up to room temp before opening it.

By that method most pollens will be viable after 3 to 5 years

A large 1.5 ml microcentifuge tube:

index_clip_image001.jpg

0.5 ml is also available

Auxin...

Nice post, thanks for that info... I've actually been discussing with Ace the setting up of a pollen bank as such, and this would be a perfect way of actually storing the pollen. I'm currently storing the pollen in a jar, inside a jar containing dessicant, sealed and the freezer, and will be looking to store a portion of every flower i get unti i have a decent collection. :)

good work.

thanks gilligan :)

Spines, it doesnt really have to be as elaborate as I do. I just worked up my method for maximum shelf life with everyday items found around my home, I do realize I live in an abnormal home :wink:, you can do the same.. key points are getting it bone dry, sealing it in something while keeping it dry, and storing the unit in the freezer (or at least the veggie drawer in the fridge).. maby with a temperature buffer like my sand or gilligans outer-jar-with-desiccant.

For a desiccant its not so hard. Yes rice would do an initial drying but not very well. Ever gone to a shoe store and seen those little packets on the floor that say "do not eat, do not put in face" thats used up silica gel desiccant. You can empty those packets into a jar, bake it on high heat for 4 hours, pull out the jar and put a glass plate on top, and when it cools put the lid on. Thats sorta how I made mine, I just used the mega jumbo bags that I changed out from a infrared spectrometer. Epsom salts can be made into a milder desiccant, if its baked it will liquefy and boil, then it'll turn into cement- bust up that cement and you have drying agent.

If the pollen starts out moist it might be best to let it dry a few hours in open air unless your desiccator has a whole lot of desiccant.

I just used the mega jumbo bags that I changed out from a infrared spectrometer.

Yeah, I left my new Ramon at work. :lol:

Again, Auxin, thanks for the info - you too gilligan - I now have a handle on the methodology used.

Will see what I can find by way of desiccant. Hadn't thought to heat it up prior to using it.

Pollen: Dry it - keep it dry and freeze or cool it! Excellent.

Seems preety full on to me. I just swab it stick the swab (half of the swab usally sits outta the bag and chuck her in the freezer right at the front. Seems to do ok for me.

I've just read that some just swab it onto a cotton bud, wrap it up and post it overseas - lasts for about 2 - 3 weeks.

In the absence of some desiccant, I've swabbed it with a cotton bud, into a bag and now frozen.

I have another flower coming - so in a couple of weeks I should be able to cross the yellow flower with the red flower and get, who knows what.

But they will still be astrophytum asterias (just have to label seeds as a cross) If nothing else it will be a test of being able to pollinate the two plants.

Great advice all. Thanks.

just a quick word on desiccant, damp rid.

okay that was two words

m