The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mutant

Anadenanthera seeds

hey

I still haven't got my anadenanthera seed to germinate [ both colubrina and peregrina ]. I am currently on my 3rd ~ 4rth attempt, trying a different sowing technique that I saw in some photos somewhere and inspired me.

I have a qustion. Some of the seeds [well most of them] swell when placed in water, in less than 3-4 hours. In previous times if they stayed more the shell of the seed came completely off. In this last time I sowed them before that.

So, is swelling a general sign of viability, or it means nothing? What does it say about the seed freshness? Is it the same for other kinds of seeds? That is, does swelling when soaked in water show anything for the seed or a dead / non-viable seed can do that too??

Is there anyone who has grown Anadenanthera and has any germination tips, especially temperature?

thank you in advance, very nice to be in this forum :)

that's a bummer mutant. have you tried not soaking them or scarifying them or something? i have no experience personally but i would try other methods. of germination. i agree, it IS nice to be in this forum :). good luck.

don't soak them!! They only need minimal amount of water to germinate and an excess of water causes them to rot. Real Anadenanthera seeds always germinate within a few days [often within 24-48 hours]. To get good germination make sure it is very warm.

There are a lot of non Anadenanthera seeds being passed off as the real thing. These behave very differently. Show us a pic of your seeds.

anadenanthera when fresh should germinate farly quickly indeed. after a few months the germination rates will go down pretty fast is my experience.

so that could also be a factor.

good seeds are at least a 1,5 cm in diameter accross or a little bigger.

hope this also helps

Oh shit, really? uh...

I have been reading they need soaking! So they don't need humidity tent either?? Too bad, I don't think I can save this sowing - so I will try one last one. I must mention I had this small humidity tent inside my room, so this might also be negative for them.

Hmmmm, it seems I have few possibility these seed are still viable . Aa for if they're really the real deal, I'm quite confident and trust they vendor they were bought [a respected us vendor between the most experienced ethno-gardeners - still, if you have any reasons to suspect otherwise, Torsten, I could take photo of the remaining ones and post...

good seeds are at least a 1,5 cm in diameter accross or a little bigger.

peregrina or columbrina? - I suppose you're talking about peregrina now ~ the big ones... Yeah, some were 1,5 cm I guess, I will report more later in the week...

thanks a lot for the answers - this forums seems to me more and more like a treasure discovered, especially now that the growing season is starting ;)

seed that is 10mm across is fine to germinate. smaller than this is often weak.

humidity tent is not good as it will encourage rotting. might be ok for peregrina, but definitely not colubrina.

do not bury the seed. push it upright into your moist sandy mix until submerged about 2/3rd. if using pure sand then water daily. using soil causes problems.

Hmmm I have put my last anadenanthera attempt to dry out a bit, but I haven't got much hope for it anyway.

As far as planting method is concerned, you mean something like that, no?

http://www.ethnogarden.com/cart/image_view...4&img_id=21

http://www.ethnogarden.com/cart/image_view...4&img_id=25

Yeah I did it like this this last time, I buried them more that 2/3 though and used soil with high water withholding :(

My next [final as they're my last seeds] attempt will have all these new info you gave me in mind - hopefully with positive results.

One last question though: Where should the eye of the seed be positioned when sowed ~ 2/3 buried ?

yes those pics show the right method.

I've never bothered to place the eye anywhere. 80% of radicles will find the shortest way into the soil and only a few will waste energy.

Make sure to keep them very warm for the first few days. 30degC SOIL temp is best [=35deg air temp]