The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Psylocke

Propagation of Ariocarpus, Astrophytum, Aztekium

Is there a faster way to propagate these species than by seed? I am mostly interested in vegetative propagation. I'm guessing tissue culture would be the fastest way, but not sure if I want to go there. Is it possible to propagate by cuttings, or do you just have to wait for pups?

aerole grafting would work for arios and astros, not sure about aztekium

I think propagation by germating seeds and grafting them is your best bet.

I'm pretty sure nobody has a confirmed report of an Aztekium being rooted after being graft.

I'm growing from seeds all the way.

seeds/grafts. aztekium and to a lesser extent astros will pup readily when grafted. some arios pup some dont. i have a 10 cm A. retusus that has 3 pups which i am grafting to myrtle stock.

astros are fairly easy to root after grafting, arios and aztekium are hard. i too have never seen a ritterii de grafted, but there are peopel saying they did in on the BCSS with hintonii.

I've don't think I've ever even seen an Aztekium on it's own roots for sale before...All the ones I can find are grafted.

lots are seed grown, just very expensive :) much smaller as well. here a grafted one 5 cm will cost 1/10 as much as a 3 cm seed grown one.