The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
watertrade

the Dirty Three

does anyone else like the Dirty Three?

Don't really know why I ask, I don't have much to say really, other than ,, "yeah me too.."

:)

ab so lutely.

man... i still remember the first time i heard them... on rage, at 2am on a staurday, 9 years ago, 'everything's fucked'...

i rang around the usual record stores the next day, all day and found only one shop with one album.

i went into the city, got the cd, came straight home, laid on my bed and listened to it over and over and over from sunset til morning...

i don't believe i had ever before heard such music that led me to feel so much joy and gratitude and awe.

such an intense voyage through images and places so powerful and splendid that i could barely think of where i had just been or what i must have seen. so hard to hold on to but no want to go back, every listen led to new journeys.

my existence most definately peaked alot further that day.

i saw them play on their last tour, it was just as powerful as the first time i heard them, so many spun out things happened during the performance too... the whole night was quite eventful but strangely expected, you know... like a sneaky trip or a chaos that you can only just ride through, feebly attempting to make sense of.

mmmmm...

edit: sorry, a bit indulgent. watertrade, what have you heard, what are yr favourite tracks?

Edited by husk

oh, btw the album i bought that day was their self titled. in my opinion an unsung masterpiece of music, all methods inclusive.

peace x

me me me!

a couple years ago at Meredith music fest (in vic) they played just as it was getting dark and a huge lightning storm was going bananas in the distance right above the stage it was the perfect visual for the abstract instrumental. sychronised beautifuly.

if you like dirty 3 i recomend a band called 'pivot' (i think from melb?) great with a bifta.

kork

does anyone else like the Dirty Three?

Don't really know why I ask, I don't have much to say really, other than ,, "yeah me too.."

:)

yeah hahaha saw them for the first time at 2AM on Rage last Sunday morning, while I was with St Peter!

The song was 'I remember once when you used to love me'. Fucking intense stuff. Raw emotion, true art.

:worship:

The Dirty Three are incredible.

Inspirational, Visionary, Passionate... So Passionate it draws and anchors you in to the moment with tears and resolutions.

To any one who hasn't heard them before i recommend getting "She has no strings Apollo". Amazing record.

To see them live is also an experience i'll never forget and wish for many to witness. Just so raw and passionate...

Anyone seen the documentary which was just released?

I can't off the top of my head pick any favourites songs. I thing Ocean songs might be my favourite album, or sad and dangerous - maybe whatever you love you are. I don't know they are all pretty good. I listen to them at work allot. I like to line all the albums up and play them all -

I have never seen them live but won't miss them when they come back to oz. They are in France at the moment I think.

You Tube has some great videos of some live shows - I had know idea Warren Ellis the violin guy was so animated - he loves squirming around on the floor. There are clips from doco too. :)

I love the kind of organic erosion and build up of noise and rhythm - and the dropping in and out of structure. Great stuff.

Thats probably the first time I've tried to describe music since high school. ! Ha

Will have a look for pivot. :)

The Dirty Three are a beautiful fucked up ball of painful, angry, loving, joy. I saw them live once. Warren Ellis is a strange god.

I purchased the DVD that was released a couple of months ago for my girl, it has a doco with interviews and a full live concert from japan. Highly recommended.

Love Dirty Three, they made some very humorous quips about acid when I saw them play. Moving sounds, intricate instrumentation, and a marked lack of pretentiousness make them profound companions for all sorts of journeys. Hands up who isn't envious of the fiddler's beard!

If you like instrumentals appolycptica is really really good.

they play heavey metal on chealos what could possible be better?

Wow! They are one of my favorite bands ever! I went to their concert too, they are even better live. It was hard to find a friend willing to go with me to their concert, lol. Warren Ellis is a violin god.

I'm really surprised that someone mentioned them.

How bout Two gallants? Try listening to their Threnody. Wow!

Edited by userofthename

didn't realise warren ellis was dirty three but i'm familiar with his name from collaborations with nick cave and NC and the bad seeds.

i believe it was warren ellis who, along with NC, made all of the music for 'the proposition' (an aussie movie written by NC).

I bought the Dirty Three DVD when it came out recently too Creach.

After listening to a song called "Time Jesum Transientum Et Non Riverentum" they done with Nick Cave (around 96?) I was immediately hooked.

To this day, it remains the BEST song I have ever heard.

I'm kicking myself for missing out on Grinderman when they were in Brisbane, I won't miss them when they are in town next.

oh you're in brisbane. check out my thaumaturgy thread.

grinderman contains warren ellis then??

i'm cut that i missed caves tour. at the time i thought 'eh' for some reason, but the bad seeds are great.

grinderman contains warren ellis then??

Indeed it does.

i'm cut that i missed caves tour. at the time i thought 'eh' for some reason, but the bad seeds are great.

Had the same wave of thought as you. Would have been a good show.

we're both foolish fools. yay.

i think at the time, i was absorbed in the belief that cave can be quite out-of-tune in concert. however, i think that is less often the case these days, also, it would be good regardless.

dude, NOTHING 'out of tune' with Nice Cave live.

They played at the convention centre 2 years ago after Lyre of Orpheus and Abattoir Blues came out, fucking awesome, and he done buckloads of encores too.

i believe you but it's a different story if you go back more than 5 years. damn i should have gone.

sorry to have twisted this thread around.

i attended the grinderman/nick cave band shows. it was alright but nothing compared to dirty three live.

grinderman set was loud, abrasive and seriously filled a giant rock sized gap in my punting of late, warren mainly bashed a hi hat and played the over driven mandolin. the 'cave' set was not as good as concerts pre 21st century a few of his songs were rearranged somewhat and warren's violin was quite inaudible but it was satisfying none the less.

so don't worry guys the only thing you should kick yr self over is a missed dirty three gig.

i think mick is playing around melbs atm... would've loved to catch that!

peace x

Edited by husk

my car radio was unexpectedly fixed yesterday, in time for me to hear a new bad seeds tune on triple Z today.

hadn't realised they have a 2008 release. (dig lazarus dig)