The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

stinky succulents

i'm just recently realizing how much i like all the succulents in the stinking rotting corpse flower group. Stepelias, Hoodias etc, i don't know much about them but they are really growing on me & would like to expand my collection.

heres two Stepelia spp which i have that are currently flowering (& yes they do stink like rotting wobat carcasses!):

med_gallery_2376_3_24549.jpg

2. flower hasn't quite opened yet

med_gallery_2376_3_10308.jpg

Hehe, that second one wont open fully, just a few small splits along the four or five front edges of the "flower". Man both of those things stink like nothing else but i think the purple one a lil moreso. I quiet enjoyed shoving it under the nose of visitors and asking them to deeply inhale the "wonderful" scent.

nice gymnos btw :)

Hehe, that second one wont open fully, just a few small splits along the four or five front edges of the "flower". Man both of those things stink like nothing else but i think the purple one a lil moreso. I quiet enjoyed shoving it under the nose of visitors and asking them to deeply inhale the "wonderful" scent.

nice gymnos btw :)

haha, cheers passive

the purple one has flowered a few times before & once or twice it did open right up so you could see all the way into the depths of the cavern of stench, the other times it didn't open all the way up like you said.

i have no idea which species i've got here. to tell the truth i havn't tried to find out. i'll get onto it soon.

in the meantime can anyone recommend any other species of stepelia or other genus' of stinky succulents with awesome flowers?

anyone into them? got photos to post?

I have both of those, my number two (Stapelia leendertziae) is further along than my number one ... both struck fairly easily with typical succulent treatment, not particularly rotprone and I find they like a spot that gets a bit of direct morning and arvo light but slightly shaded out inbetween, so they stretch a hang.No flowers yet, but parentstock of both were covered in flowers, expecting good things!

Some other stinkers are Orbeopsis and Lithops x Luckhoffia (regarded as a natural hybrid of Hoodia and Carralluma x beukmanii) and some Huernias pong pretty rotten too.

Why do we love our most offputting plants the most? :P

VM

They are intersting from a fractal expression on flowers viewpoint.

Luckly I can't smell them.

There is the phallic mushroom that has a bad smell.

And smells like semin.

One can only wonder about the attraction of flys.

The flys crawl away from the mushroom carrying the spores.

I think it be a unknown chemical that does so.

Few people are going to that exploratory as to smoke iy but so from the flys reaction it might be PCP type.

But my trply does have somthing to do with plants and fungous that attract flys as a spore or pollen carrior.

Just the mushroom one inpressed me as as the flys walk away and not fly.

As a easy test just use spiders that spin webs.

If the web is not normal that theres a brain influencing chemical.

A easy way without expensive eauipment.

how to feed the spider such is for another post from someone that has some ideas.

I love Stapeliads and have quite a few, but sadly the get hammered by root mealies.

and Lithops x Luckhoffia (regarded as a natural hybrid of Hoodia and Carralluma x beukmanii)

There is a cross of lithops (spp?) and luckhoffia? Can you say anything more about this? Sounds very interesting!

taken from "the world encyclopaedia of cacti n succulents" by Miles Anderson, cons. Terry Hewitt pub. 2006 by Hermes House... I love well chosen xmas presents!

"Lithops x Luckhoffia (Asclepiadaceae) Originally ascribed to the genus Stapelia, then considered a monotypic species in its own genus, Luckhoffia is now considered a natural hybrid between species of Hoodia and Caralluma x l. beukmanii and x L. beukmanii cristata. Both the normal and crested forms of this easily grown stapeliad are common in cultivation. The flexible, spiney stems are 2cm wide, upright at first and then becoming semi prostrate. The foul smelling rust coloured flowers are 4cm wide and borne sporadically throughout the growing season. This plant comes true from seed which is produced if the species is visited by the right size of fly. This and the crestate form are easily grown from cuttings, as well. The number of cristate stapeliads is steadily increasing but so far this is the fasted growing and the most stable. Both the normal and crested forms will tolerate intense heat and bright indirect light, but will not tolerate any frost or long periods of cold with wet roots. Natural Habitat: South Africa".

also found another smelly stapeliad called a Tomatriche (revoluta)... fairly typical looking, big reddy brown flowers, foul smell, lengthy stems, etc.

For once... the smell isn't me :lol:

VM

Here is one that I have which I haven't seen much of before.... definately a stinker :)

Its labeled "Stapelia Mariquensis" originally from S.Africa. The rotten meat smell is supposed to attract scavenging flies which help pollinate the flowers.

post-1378-1203379765_thumb.jpg

post-1378-1203379798_thumb.jpg

Edited by ReclusE