The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Micromegas

What's this fella?

Question

Hey guys this guy was boosting along in my friends backyard, it had litterally grown in every available patch of ground...

Had pink, yellow, orange and half pink/half yellow flowers all over, quite fragrant. Very large root/tuber thingy!

Looks like a member of the nightshade family or something... but I'm pretty bad and this identification business.

Can anyone tell me what it is as we were all very curious and it got a lot of attention.

Thanks,

Micro

post-1521-1202276164_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1202276237_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1202276337_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Commonly known as a Four O'Clock. My mum used to have these planted everywhere. Nice big pink/red blooms, prolific throughout summer (heaps atm). Dont think they are poisonous, or any relation to nightshades. Not sure on latin name, but the common name should get you started. Hope that helps!

P.S. They spread via little black seeds at the end of summer/autumn. I remember picking these and planting them around the garden many years ago :)

mirabalis[sp?] maybe jalapa but maybe these are hybrids of some kind in s oz.........i've previously recorded its effects on me!

flowers are said to open at 4 oclock hence name......must check that.....mine were open this morning......am or pm?

t s t .

i've previously recorded its effects on me!

any links??

I just noticed a heap of these great multicoloured flowers down the road from my place a few evenings ago. I grabbed a handful of seeds today :)

Edited by XipeTotec

Yeh Mirabalis sp....hard to tell which do the flowers change color of the course of a few days?

interesting plant me thinks...

Hey thanks guys much appreciated... sounds like an interesting plant, quite beautiful when flowering but perhaps invasive. I had a feeling it was going to turn out to be psychoactive. Don't think I feel like purging and stimulation followed by befuddlement though :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if it will be seeding but if anyone wants some seeds, cuttings or foliage I should be able to get hold of some... but like I said it has come up all over his back yard in every patch of dirt so be very careful about planting this one...

if anyone wants some seeds

Seconded. I think the ones at my place have a little longer before seeding, but there will be heaps to go round for anyone interested.

come up all over his back yard in every patch of dirt so be very careful about planting

Yep - I have found them popping up in random parts of the garden which have never even seen them before this year. Dont worry too much though - they are very easy to pull out and dont tend to travel too far if you keep a keen eye out for the strays.