The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Teotzlcoatl's Books

yeah the middle of the film gets a bit carried away but. . . we can't stop here this is bat country

oh and HST makes some really quotable quotes eg Buy the ticket, take the ride

I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

Jack Kerouac's On the Road

again I cannot understate this books role in making me the person that I am. (but don't let that turn you off :wink: )

Kerouac was arguably the best writer that the Beat generation, or beatniks, produced. On the road is his most widely read and most loved. This book shaped the way youth culture defined itself for at least two generations after. Without this book the world we live in would be a far far different place. Indeed one can plot a direct line from Kerouac and the Beatniks to Ken Kesey, Timothy Leary and many other notables from the age of the hippie. Kerouac and his friends were among the first of their generation to try marijuana and dispel the "dope fiend" myth to their contemporaries. They also tried mescaline and sought out a brew called yage (ayahuasca) in their attempts to expand their experience of reality and conciousness.

If you read only one book this year make it On The Road

I would also recommend anything by Kerouac

ha thats funny i just started reading this last week, i've nearly finished it & i've gotto agree, it's totally brilliant! this's the first time i've read kerouac ever except for random quotes.. he's genius

Max Stirners 'The Ego and Its Own', propably the most revolutionary book ever, and propably one of the most underrated and unknown. It debunks communist manifesto before it was published!

wow, thanks for that mutant, I like the sounds of this one.

^ he is genius isn't he. Every sentance he writes is poetry, he's a hipster saint. If you want more kerouacy goodness try the dharma bums or big sur. I love the way that he gets inspiration from his friends and looks at them like spiritual guides. i always wanted to be a Dean Moriarty

yeah the middle of the film gets a bit carried away but. . . we can't stop here this is bat country

oh and HST makes some really quotable quotes eg Buy the ticket, take the ride

I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die

Hah! Don't get me started. I put the bat country quote up on Facebook after reading the book. The sheer volume of follow-up quotes surely must've breached copyright.

Don't take any guff from these swine.

Ha I love that last quote, said so many times, made my family think i'd flipped.

hey xoda have you finished on the road. What did you reckon?

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh is a pretty good book. It's about a couple of junkies in Scotland. It's written in phonetic scottish, which is hard at the start but as you continue you get used to it and it begins to feel as if you were sitting with a scottish bloke at the pub hearing his story. IIts a good one.

Thought this would be the appropriate place to post this question;

Where can one pick up a copy of M.S. Smith's apparently terrific book.

If you mean Mr.Smith's "Sacred Cacti" book then it's available from "Rainbow Books".

Has anyone read The Quiet Center by John C Lilly? This dude did experiments on Isolation and higher consciousness and the like. It seems like a really interesting read. Just wondering if anyone else has read it and/or recommends it.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=2jeX3tRCcp0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+quiet+center&source=bl&ots=RcwDfke8nc&sig=0X_2929-QGDcdDG43pHZ4lWTuFU&hl=en&ei=AIecS4jaM5OssgO3qKi_Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

cheers

Edited by Yawning Man

I'm a bit of a fan of William S. Burroughs' stuff. I recently read Cities of the Red Night, loved it; my ,so far, favourite book of his. It's a bit of a mix of genres like noir detective novels, pirate expedition, virus thriller, ethnological exploration. Terrific stuff

Read it