The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Hellonasty

Old cutting finally rooted and puping :)

Question

Over a year ago I received 2 cuttings both markedly different and both labeled T. Bridgesii. One of the cuttings was quite old, dehydrated and was the lower woody part of the plant. I planted them both up and after about a month the healthy new growth cutting rooted and began to grow.

The older cutting did nothing and just sat there for over a year. I basically thought it was stuffed and was thinking of using the pot it was in for another plant. About 3 weeks ago I was watering when I noticed a nice bulge in the skin near the top I was quite excited as I knew this would be a pup.

Today I had another look and sure enough a nice pup :) What do you think it is ? Again it was labeled T. Bridgesii.

PICT1713.JPG

PICT1715.JPG

PICT1719.JPG

Edited by Hellonasty

8 answers to this question

I'd definately say she's a bridgie (T. bridgesii). Defining characteristics would be the long, downward pointing, usually 4-spined, spination (like all bridgies I've come across). The shape and number of ribs of the ribs are also standard - usually ~5-7 ribs, some more or less, all fairly even and thick. Colour is a little off, usually it will be a nice blue colour with a very bright green flesh when freshly cut, but yours is a dull, greenish colour because its just an old cutting I'd think. The new growth will sooner or later offer the typical colouring and look a bit nicer.

Congrats on the new pup :) Just a side note and something to take into consideration - chop that girl in two. I chop all my slightly larger cuttings (pretty much anything over ~30cm) down to small stumps to create several new bases for future plants. Even very small cuttings (10-15cm) can become great little pup 'factories' where you can usually get between 1 and 3 pups on each (and possibly more). If you were to leave it as-is, you'll still get one or two pups, but you could easily double their numbers by giving mum the chop (although it will take about a month for the top cutting to re-root, the bottom section should throw some more pups in the interum). BTW, the smaller the cutting, the faster it roots (if all other variables are at optimum).

Now that it's pupped, don't cut it?

You will just reduce diameter of future pups (my guess is this pup will be very thin already!).

I would wait for the completion of at least one whole growing season to cut it.

Now that it's pupped, don't cut it

The idea of cutting is to induce the lower half to send out pups too, sort of similar to spraying areoles with growth hormone, forcing pups. You can chill with a single pup (and possibly another later in the season), or you can double your numbers using a simple cut.

You will just reduce diameter of future pups

I have only found that the diametre is reduced while the stump is rooting (the tip continues to grow). Once the root system is established the pups will be as thick as the mother stump (when they start to really pump out growth) and future pups grow no different to those on a tall stump.

my guess is this pup will be very thin already

Why is that? I know pups always start a little leaner than the stumps they come from, but they soon fatten up to about the same size (not in the bowling pin style either - it is usually uniform).

I would wait for the completion of at least one whole growing season to cut it

By all means do with it what you will, she isnt my plant. Just offering what I feel is one of the fastest methods of bulk propagation. Even the likes of MSSmith will agree that two tips tend to put out as much growth as a single one per year, so this method certainly wont slow you down (apart from the very short term). If anything you'll only find that there isnt enough pots later down the line to plant all your cacti in!

Please note: I dont mean cut the new pup off - just the old stump in two.

EDIT: I only added that bit mentioning MSSmith because I was reading about this topic (pup numbers vs pup growth) this morning on the nook. I dont know the guy personally (lol, I wish - the guy knows his trichs!) :)

Edited by Ace

Bridgesii. Def don't cut it at this point in time- the next few months are the best growth wise of the year. No sense forcing a plant to callous for a few weeks and then spend the peak growth period of the year establishing a root system when its about to put on a nice foot or so of new growth if left alone.

Fair call Benjahman - but like I said above, there will be a bit of a delay in getting good growth in the short term (due to rooting), but in the long term I can guarantee there will be more mass produced (due to more growing tips). Entirely up to the cultivator of the plant to make his/her decision, just offering my experience :)

Id let that lil baby go till next spring then do a bit of butcherin. Give the pup a bit of time to get some size and if its a quick enuff grower you could also lop it off for even more prop material. A good strong root system on a basal stump should make the stump spew forth pups once cut.

Never know, that cut could throw a few more pups yet anyways

Just my 2cents :)

Hey Ace, I was going to cut it when I first got it but holy shit that thing is like hardwood !! Once you get about half way down it is seriously tough and woody. If I had another photo of the other side you would know what I mean. I may get one tomorrow !

In regards to the colour, I got this cutting from a bloke in South Aus he stated this strain of Bridgesii was rare. I saw the mother plant and it too was the same pale green colour. I wonder why ? Could be environmental I guess.

holy shit that thing is like hardwood

Lol, I have found that a few times with cuttings from towards the bottom (and even some at halfway on larger plants) of mature cacti. It certainly makes things hard when all you have on hand is a kitchen knife or something :P Always good to take a proper saw or something for the thougher material, otherwise you'll be stuck there all day :) In this case, it'd probably be easier to let the girl go forth and pup as-is, then later on you might want to look at dividing her up a little (probably from the pups) to propagate a couple more plants (if you chose to do so).

I think it might have been Passive who found that an old cutting had completely rotted down leaving only the very tough vascular tissue. It looked like driftwood or something - very unusual, and incredibly tough. If you havent seen it, it'd be worth a search just to check her out to see why this lil one was so hard to get thru :)

the mother plant was the same pale green colour

Hmm, that certainly is odd. I'd say you are right in that it'd be an environmental thing - it probably come from a very dry place, no? I think with a bit of regular watering it should bring out the glaucus blue tinge in time, but then again, it could just be this strain. Either way you'll have a gorgeous plant in a season or three!