The Corroboree
ENtiTY

Acacia ID

Found a couple of these Acacia's growing in the back yard and am just curious what species they are. Their located in SE QLD and I'll get some pics when they flower next as well if this will help.

post-2785-1196091934_thumb.jpg post-2785-1196092147_thumb.jpg post-2785-1196092217_thumb.jpg post-2785-1196092255_thumb.jpg

Thanx peeps :)

post-2785-1196091934_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092147_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092217_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092255_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196091934_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092147_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092217_thumb.jpg

post-2785-1196092255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harry

Looks far too tall to be Acacia sophorae.

Could be A implexa or A binervia? The bark looks very implexa like.. so does the habit.. The phyllodes look a bit broad, that probably varies though.

Could be A implexa or A binervia? The bark looks very implexa like.. so does the habit.. The phyllodes look a bit broad, that probably varies though.

I reckon you're probably right on with the A. binervia call turps, though does it occur in QLD? The fact that it is fruiting/seeding now [flowers Sept-Oct] and the dark flaky bark are good indications of it being that species. Phyllodes look right too.

EDIT: According to this link it occurs from Southern QLD, through NSW into VIC and also looks like a collection was taken in SA too.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

can't be too much help cause i don't know what it is but i can definitely say with certainty, it is not Acacia sophorae

and although i can see how it might get confused with A. implexa , i'm pretty certain it isn't it either

Edited by Paradox

Thanx peeps!

Nice to know whats lurking around the back yard :)

I have another pic of another Acacia. I'm pretty sure its podalyriaefolia, just looking for confirmation, ts is a bit young so I could be mistaken. If it is I shall call it Dimitri.

post-2785-1196296501_thumb.jpg

I did some searching on the forum on this species and the general concensus was that there is Tryptamine in the leaf but nothing else and more study of this species could prove interesting. Wikipedia states 0.5 to 2% DMT in fresh bark anyne verify this or is this incorrect.

can't be too much help cause i don't know what it is but i can definitely say with certainty, it is not Acacia sophorae

and although i can see how it might get confused with A. implexa , i'm pretty certain it isn't it either

Yeah. I looked passed that first image, didnt see how tall it was, only really looked at the phyllodes alone which is never a good way to ID acacia.

Yep that's an Acacia podalyriaefolia.

Wikipedia states 0.5 to 2% DMT in fresh bark anyne verify this or is this incorrect

Sorry can't verify. Hmmm there are a number of them growing locally, bit of a weed around here.

EDIT: Be good to hear back any hypothetical results on that species actually.

Edited by Phosphene_Dream

i heard from a good source that podalyriifolia is quite reliable for tryp but thats about it, im not sure that reference is up to scratch.

Well here is the book refered to. Link Anyone read german?

Its only a preview of the book but there may be something about the topic there.

I have a possible ID for the Acacia I posted pics of in the first post.

Acacia concurrens.

Herbalistics states it tested a+++ for alkaloids in the bark :lol: Not sure which alkaloids. Test was carried out by someone known as M. Bock. Anyone ever heard of this person or able to elaborate on the alkaloids found?

The seed avalible at Herbalistics was collected at a location that is about a 40 minute drive down the road from where I live so I feel this is quite likely the correct ID. New growth displays the dust like covering, just have to wait for it to flower...

Amazing what you find in your back yard B)

Edited by Harry

Harry I can verify that if M Bock (who is a trustworthy character) did the test then most probably the alkaloids tested were discovered to be illegal :)

Thanx for the info Sina :)

Any chance you could point me in the right direction regarding the research carried out by M. Bock?

I'm interested to learn a little more.

It's not published and very anecdotal in nature. You'll just have to take it as it stands, or maybe contact darcy and ask him to hook you up with Mr Bock.