The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Kava tolerance

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?c...pt=AbstractPlus

Development of tolerance to kava in mice.

Duffield PH, Jamieson D.

School of Physiology and Pharmacology, University of NSW, Kensington, Australia.

The development of tolerance to the aqueous extract of kava, and to the lipid soluble extract (kava resin) was tested in mice. 2. Tolerance to the unknown pharmacologically active ingredient(s) developed very rapidly, given parenterally, in the aqueous extract. A minimally effective daily dose (50 mg/kg) of the aqueous extract for 3 days was sufficient to produce tolerance to a test dose of 150 mg/kg, which is close to the ED50. As tolerance was evident at the first test period it can be assumed to be physiological tolerance. 3. Kava resin decreased spontaneous motility and caused a loss of muscle control. A minimally effective daily dose of kava resin (100 mg/kg) did not produce tolerance to the above effects of a weekly test dose of kava resin (166 mg/kg) within 7 weeks. In a further experiment the dose was raised to 150 mg/kg twice daily and this schedule caused partial tolerance to occur within 3 weeks, but very little further tolerance developed over the ensuing 2-week period. 4. To try to induce learned (behaviourally acquired) tolerance a dose of 166 mg/kg kava resin was injected daily and animals were tested each day while under the influence of the drug. However, even under these conditions, there was no tolerance evident within 3 weeks, when the experiment was terminated. 5. It appears difficult to induce the development of physiological or learned tolerance to kava resin in mice.

So it appears that the water soluble actives of kava quickly develop tolerance, but the lipid soluble portion does not.

Anyone want to input their personal/anecdotal experience on kava tolerance? I have drunk a cup every night for a week once and was still happy with the effects on day six and seven.

Interesting, one thing I havent noticed though is any sort of tolerance! if anything quite the reverse...I think most would agree that it takes at least 3 daze of use to reach full effects.

Tolerance to the unknown pharmacologically active ingredient(s) developed very rapidly...

anyone have a clue what ingredient this may refer too :scratchhead:

To try to induce learned (behaviourally acquired) tolerance a dose of 166 mg/kg kava resin was injected daily

sounds like fun...that is the traditional way yeh? :BANGHEAD2:

anyone have a clue what ingredient this may refer too :scratchhead:

I would assume they are talking about the actives in kava called Kavalactones. From my research there are 6 known Kavalactones present if an cup of brewed kava. The six of them are demethoxy-yangonin, dihydrokavain, yangonin, kavain, dihydromethysticin and methysticin. My guess is there may be more but I haven't seen an article that suggests this.

I would assume they are talking about the actives in kava called Kavalactones. From my research there are 6 known Kavalactones present if an cup of brewed kava. The six of them are demethoxy-yangonin, dihydrokavain, yangonin, kavain, dihydromethysticin and methysticin. My guess is there may be more but I haven't seen an article that suggests this.

Yeh you would think so...but one would think that they would have reference standards for these? I dunno...be good to know what the tolerance is actually built up around