The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Qhorakuna tantani

beetles :s

Hey peoples... was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me what these beetles are and if they are eating my plants. I've watched them at nightime on my plants, but unlike the bloody mofo earwigs, I can't tell if they are actually eating my plants or other bugs. They range in size from quite small up to about ~1.5cm being the bigest I've seen. They're beigey coloured. Here's a photo I've taken, sorry about the quality but its hard when they're so small and constantly on the move. They are a little lighter brown in real life.

post-747-1192972856_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

post-747-1192972578_thumb.jpg

Edited by Qhorakuna tantani

That's a weevil.

Some weevils do eat plants. No idea about that one.

For a while I had a few weevils that were hanging around my trich seedlings and nibbling holes in them. They did look a bit like yours.

Edited by creach

thats an elephant weevil, i think they r really cute! get an uplcose look atthat face! bizarre!! i dont know how much damage they do to ur plants though, control if u actually see it doing anything bad.

Yep thats weevil alright, think they have more of a tendency to 'bore' into plants rather than eat them although I do believe Ive seen them nibble my Centella..

Well I know the gorse weevil was introduced in new zealand to control the spread of gorse some time ago (1930's)

It was supposed to do so by reducing its seed crop. The adults may damage young shoots and flowers, but the significance of this damage and its effect on the plant is unknown. However, the larvae destroy up to 96% of the seed produced during spring and early summer.

I believe they did not survive well in the nz climate and the gorse spread faster than the weevils meaning that gorse is still a problem

Edit : Point being they lay eggs in unripe fruit which then eat their way out consuming the seed as they go

Edited by foolsbreath

they eat seeds. :uzi:

and you can't even tell cos they drill a hole in the seed, lay the egg, patch the hole up and the first you know that your seed is fucked is when the larvae crawl out.

Damn them... So any ideas for a means of control, preferably an organic control? Between them and the earwigs, I'll have nothing left lol. Seriously... the earwigs eat so much but... the best method I've found for controlling them is a plastic pot saucer burried so its flush with the soil surface, and then fill it with oil. They drown themselves in it. I use olive oil because I've got HEAPS of the stuff, but I think other oils will work. Member reading they are attracted to fishy smelling things so maybe some kind of fish containing oil. Just my 2c on that problem if anyone else has it lol

we used to dust some of our seed with derris dust but that didn't help much. now we store all seed in hard plastic or glass containers. The only problem is that sometimes there are already weevils in the seed before we containerise them.

seedsavers put a pinch of iron filings in an airtight container. the iron uses up all the water and oxygen so critters don't survive. it has to be 100% airtight though.

diatomaceous earth might also work for the larval stage.