The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MORG

Acacia obtusifolia.

99% sure she's obtusi but I don't know the flora of region (and don't have a guide), hence there could be a look-alike I'm unaware of. I've never seen A. obtusifolia in the bark before either. I turn to the community for confirmation.

Central tablelands of NSW.

Growing at altitude in heathy scrub. Very sandy soil.

Common, trees at times up to approx 4-5 m

post-1438-1192445058_thumb.jpg

Erect phyllodes with withered margins, blunt ends.

post-1438-1192445080_thumb.jpg

No consistently prominent venation.

post-1438-1192444863_thumb.jpg

Corrugated bark.

post-1438-1192444945_thumb.jpg

Cylindrical inflorescences at axils

post-1438-1192444925_thumb.jpg

Long, thin pods tending to linear.

post-1438-1192446873_thumb.jpg

A mature tree. (Damn it's hard to take a satisfactory photo of a whole tree)

And a question: how can they have green pods on them as they are just coming into flower?

I didn't see a single one of these in flower, just the young inflorescences forming and green pods.

Lookin' good to me MORG :wink: . I can only assume that now you know where they are that you will look but not touch?

Nice photos.

I believe that is obtusi, the prolific inter-vein anastomisation is a good giveaway.

I can only assume that now you know where they are that you will look but not touch?

Of course dude. I couldn't kill a tree. Especially not one in such an amazing area as this.

I'll take more photos throughout the season and make an ID-guide out of them. Hopefully gather some seed too when and if it is set.

And World Wide Wattle answered my question in part:

"Usually flowers Nov.–Jan. but fruits irregularly."

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgall...ia.php?id=23759

So that begs the question: If this species doesn't require flowers to fruit, are the fruits that aren't the product of fertilised embryos set with fertile seed? i.e. Does this tree produce clonal seed outside of flowering season?

Could be that there's some wacky trait of legume biology I'm not privvy to...

[/url]

So that begs the question: If this species doesn't require flowers to fruit, are the fruits that aren't the product of fertilised embryos set with fertile seed? i.e. Does this tree produce clonal seed outside of flowering season?

Could be that there's some wacky trait of legume biology I'm not privvy to...

all speculation here

but I'd say most likely the fruit are formed from last years fertilised embryos

no point putting all that energy into flowering if you're not going to use it for reproduction... why, that'd be like having sex just for the fun of it :wink:

all speculation here

but I'd say most likely the fruit are formed from last years fertilised embryos

no point putting all that energy into flowering if you're not going to use it for reproduction... why, that'd be like having sex just for the fun of it :wink:

I agree. The plant would naturally prefer to put out fruit from fertilised ovaries. But is it common for plants to set fruit from flowers pollinated a complete season ago?

It just seems remarkable that these green pods have taken at least 10 months from flower to proto-seed (they're not even near dehiscence).

I'm thinking maybe they're able to set fruit with clonal seed out of season. But of course that's all my own wild speculation.

I'll ask an expert and report back :)

I agree. The plant would naturally prefer to put out fruit from fertilised ovaries. But is it common for plants to set fruit from flowers pollinated a complete season ago?

It just seems remarkable that these green pods have taken at least 10 months from flower to proto-seed (they're not even near dehiscence).

I'm thinking maybe they're able to set fruit with clonal seed out of season. But of course that's all my own wild speculation.

I'll ask an expert and report back :)

IME obtusifolia fruits can take a very long time to mature.

i've been keeping an eye on a particular population regularly for the last year or so. first noticed pods forming after the last flowering about 1 year ago & last time i checked (about 6 weeks ago) they are still not ripe & seemed to have not even reached their full size.

interesting & strange. also a little frustrating as i don't know when i will next get there & hope i don't miss them.

& yeah Morg i reckon it's pretty likely they're obtusi's you've got there.

"I sense a PhD coming on.."

:)

Not even!

Collect pods, sample the population including parent plants (wouldn't be more than 200 mature individuals), extract, genotype (I'm sure there must be markers out there), parentage analysis, write paper. Easy.

Want me to start collecting for you Creach?

;)

Edited by MORG

Would love a few seeds if you are planning on harvesting a small amount MORG. Looks like a lovely specimen/s. Leave many for GAIA though.

man

don't encourage me

Just think!

You could expand the genetic sample to include the species' complete range! You could include GC-MS work for alkaloid content and look for correlations with environmental variables. You could do classical breeding experiments in addition to looking at differential gene expression between this and the closely related A. longifolia in order to locate the genetic pathway for biosynthesis of DMT... and then you could create transgenic plants turning potentially any plant you ever dreamed of into an active one.

Anyone want to kick some money in for Creach's research fund?

Oh... and now that you've read that I'm a co-author on any publications :wink:

Edited by MORG

its regular to find plants pre flowering covered inimmature pods, and also plants in full flower and full seed release.. id conclude that it is oftenthe cas ethat pod form irregularly due to environmental factors... and perhaps genetic in some areas (theres another phd)

Maybe the pods stay at that stage for an extended period to enable the species to survive bush fires, eventually maturing and dropping seed to maintain the population. However, if a bush fire roars through the pods are cooked, ripening the seeds where they drop to and ideal place for germination and thereby fascilitate rapid re-establishment of the species.

Hows that theory?

Edited by Harry