The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Name change for Datura stramonium var Tatula

We previously sold a variety with smooth pods as Datura stramonium var Tatula. This is also sometimes called Datura tatula. However the smooth pod variety can be seen as a further subclassification of the spiny pod Tatula variety/species, which is sometimes written as Datura tatula var inermis.' Inermis' stands for the smooth pod. So while the seed we sold previously as Datura stramonium var Tatula had smooth pods and that classification was correct, we now feel that the name Datura stramonium var Inermis is more appropriate.

Thus: The name Datura stramonium var Tatula is now used only for the spiny pods form.

If you're not sure what you bought from us as "Datura stramonium var Tatula" then use this as a definite guide :

If it was in a standard No5 seed envelope with an inkjet printed (brown/darkred/black) front, then it is the smooth pod (Datura stramonium var Inermis). If it was in one of our new small No3 envelopes with an inkjet printed FULL COLOUR STICKER on it, then it is (the spiny pod) Datura stramonium var Tatula.

Assassin, you have the smooth pod variety, which is more accurately Datura stramonium var inermis. It is actually the rarer form but thanks to your efficient breeding has been distributed widely.

As I said, the name Datura stramonium var Tatula is NOT wrong for the smooth pod form, it is just not as clear.

One of these days i will get around to writing a decent Datura taxonomy page and then things will be much easier to comprehend.

So anyone who has bought the Datura stramonium var Tatula, you can now buy it again and it is different wink.gif

Just don't bother getting the new Datura stramonium var inermis if you already have the smooth pod Tatula.

confused?? me too.

can d stram and spiny tatula be differentiated visually,what are the differences?

t s t .

cool, so whatever happened to this 'adopt-a-species' thing anyway? i'm still keen.

Datura stramonium has pure white flowers. tatula and inermis have faint mauve flowers or almost white with mauve lines. The stem is usully purple too.

the adopt a species program was kinda absorbed by the AFSR.

Originally posted by theobromos:

Are there not smooth-podded D. stramonium that are not D. s. var tatula?

Ahh shit theo, trust you to stuff it all up again wink.gif

I was wrong - again.

The smooth pod, purple flower / purple stem is in fact Datura stramonium var godronii. So all that datura tatula seed out there from SAB is in fact Datura stramonium var godronii.

Stuff it, I am getting more and more confused. I will put up a full key and relevant pics asap in the datura section.