The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
foolsbreath

Ephedra seed from shop

Just wondering on the age and viability of the bulk sinensis seed from SAB

Anyone been propogating these? Whats the germ rate?

Thanks all!

I wouldn't want to grow these, there could be legal repurcussions in some states.

Edited by creach

I think it is too early for them to germinate well. we are not going to put ours down for another month or so.

one of the reasons we only germ these when it is really hot is because the germination is reliably short. A few days if using CCS. In cooler weather [even if it is a cool spell in summer] we often have low germ rates, germination stretched over many weeks, and many seeds and seedlings rotting during germination.

we also avoid the wetseason as this increases post germination losses. ie, our germ window is about mid november to mid december.

Thanks guys

I'll grab a couple of packs and wait till december :)

I was just wondering how long does it take for Ephedra to reach maturity? and what care must be taken. I tried once last year and had one seedling rot on me. it's a heart ache when your baby's die from too much love. next time I'll be more careful. its hard to find information on the net about growing Ephedra.

we've just got a 2 y.o. sinensis flowering this year, but usually it is 3 years minimum.

E.major we have 5 y.o. plants [bigger than any of our other E plants] and no flowers at all.

hey torsten,

this may not be the correct place to post this but i was wondering if ephedra propagates from cutting?

cheers

this may not be the correct place to post this but i was wondering if ephedra propagates from cutting?

Cuttings sometimes work, but only 1 in 300 or so and depends on species. Not avisable.

Layering works though. Just push down some low branches and bury them well for 1 or 2 years, then look for roots. Sometimes there will be roots, sometimes not.

Do major/sinensis seeds require scarification/presoaking or are they good to go straight into soil?

Germination is in high humidity like most seedlings?

Like shantikimba said, the amount of info online is very scarce

Do major/sinensis seeds require scarification/presoaking or are they good to go straight into soil?

do not soak!

Germination is in high humidity like most seedlings?

There are lots of ephedra cultivation threads in the ethnobotany forum. humidity should never be high.