The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

WTF... loph/peres graft just fell off!!!???

I have had a loph/peres graft on the window sill for 3 weeks.... looked great, not shrivelled, and seemed to have a bit of groth. It was turning a little brown/oj, but I figured this was due to sunlight. Anyway... jsut took it outside to give a liquid fert with watering can (trying to avoid graft) when I look down and see that the graft had fallen off, and was sitting on the leaf. I examined the peres... and saw a small fresh circle where the graft once successfully sat. Is this common to have a weak bond to the peres?

that young, it is that easy. i have knocked a far few off as well....kind of surprised me how weak they are....but they were just cut in half and put on top of the other..... if tis still fresh you can re graft without too many problems.

lol, i raged out and chucked it away... couldnt bring myself to try and reattach, and watch it die!! :)

Edited by XipeTotec

What do you think the chances are of a successfull graft if you grab the loph from the bin and pop her back on there...

Hehe :wink:, She'l be right...

welcome to the mass slaughter that is known as "learning how to graft to pereskiopsis"

with trial and error, you will eventually get good at it.

i lost shitloads at the start, my last lot was about 7/8 successfull

i think he grafted it just fine...just dont go picking fights with them.

Yeah it is common that it all looks fine and then boom,it falls off but that will eventually change once you get the hang of it.I`m grafting for a year now and still sometimes have problems with grafts felling off.I think that is because your cut either on pere or on the loph wasnt clean and with time that unclean part stayed divided and eventually divided the good part.

Yeah, til they're nice and fat I'd only fertilize with bottom watering. I'm only new myself but with what I've seen, they are the most delicate grafts.

oh sorry i thought he bumped it. they are pretty weak to the touch, but they should not just fall off on their own...thats a bad join. if grafting larger scions then pereskiopsis doesnt work good without weights or tape or something...just sitting it on there doesn't work as well as with seedlings.

i think he grafted it just fine...just dont go picking fights with them.

FOAF has done it about 3 or 4 times after having a good toke of MJ and deciding it was a good time to do some gardening.... :BANGHEAD2:

ya i just did this to one of my fresh grafts today. i was moving them to kill some ants and i hit the scion with my arm...damnit. shit happens.

oh sorry i thought he bumped it. they are pretty weak to the touch, but they should not just fall off on their own...thats a bad join. if grafting larger scions then pereskiopsis doesnt work good without weights or tape or something...just sitting it on there doesn't work as well as with seedlings.

yeah... i did bump it... in a way.....As I said... it had been sitting there for 3 weeks without any shrinkage etc. I think i maust hae bumped it... or the pressure from the watering can has knocked it off.... wont be doing that again!!!

i really dont think it is the pressure! with seedlings and pereskiopsis it just sort of heals around the scion and if the join is good wont push it up.

one of these days i am going to take up English :P

i see what ya mean now. in short i find that they do not become the least bit strong until they are about 1/2 cm or so....then they can take some rougher treatment (roughER not rough lol)

ok.... thanks for the info guys... Hopefully, now that I know of this issue... I can hopefully avoid it, and have smiles on my dial in the future.