The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
somnif

Kratom growing happily in Melbourne

My Kratom is absolutely exploding with life at the moment. For anyone concerned with them not thriving in Melbourne, well do not worry!

(I cannot yet give an opinion of how it copes over the colder months however)

From a sad looking plant with two leaves on the end of a 20cm stick last week, it has burst with the life 8 new leaves in various locations. This is a very impressive growth spurt.

I figure that it has just recovered from the repotting I gave it about 5 weeks ago.

One problem I was encountering was the removal of leaves via the wind causing me to have to search out and persue them throughout the garden. Putting the plant in a more sheltered location solved this problem.

Question: Does the Kratom tend to loose all its leaves at some point of it's cycle in its natural environment?

Originally posted by somnif:

Question: Does the Kratom tend to loose all its leaves at some point of it's cycle in its natural environment?

Like most rainforest plants it will loose it sleaves when it gets too dry. This is a survival mechanism so as to prevent further drying out. if you keep them wet and warm all year they would probably not loose their leaves.

Please do keep us posted on how it copes over the winter, I am a melbournian who would love to this species but wont try in fear of failure.

Yeah, I'll be interested as well.

Have you got a cold house during the winter?

I've got one of those bog standard units with single brick wall-plasterboard, single glazzing that gets very hot in the summer and cold as brass monekys in the winter, not like the northern european houses I'm used to. frown.gif

E D