The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

Man's heart stops after Red Bull overdose

Daniel Dasey | August 19, 2007

A MAN whose heart stopped after he consumed eight Red Bull energy drinks in five hours has called for an overhaul of the product's warning labels.

Matthew Penbross, 28, collapsed after downing the popular drinks, each containing 80 milligrams of caffeine, last Sunday.

He drank the Red Bull while competing in a motocross event on the state's Mid North Coast.

His heart stopped and he needed defibrillation from ambulance officers.

Now facing six weeks off work, he said warning labels on the products should be revamped to alert people that excessive consumption could lead to death. Labels currently warn against consuming more than two cans, or 1.5 bottles a day, without describing the consequences.

"They say [on energy drink labels] don't have more than this much," Mr Penbross said.

"But they don't say if you have too much, what will happen."

Dr Malcolm Barlow, a cardiologist who treated Mr Penbross at Newcastle's John Hunter Hospital, said it appeared excessive consumption of energy drinks had precipitated the heart attack.

He said Mr Penbross had no other risk factors apart from smoking and had told him he previously experienced chest pain at times when his intake of the drinks was high.

NSW Health has urged people to be extremely cautious of overdosing on stimulant products. Department spokesman Dr Robert Batey said consuming high levels of stimulants had the potential to cause heart attacks.

"It will raise blood pressure and pulse rate and both of those things put a significant demand on the heart."

Mr Penbross, a concreter, regularly had four Red Bull drinks a day.

"With the work I do I don't have a lot of time to eat," he said. "I have a couple of Red Bulls in the morning and it carries me through."

Last Sunday he was competing in a motocross event near Port Macquarie when he consumed eight Red Bulls over five hours.

"It was to get a bit of a buzz and keep down my reaction time," he said. "You have got to get off [the mark] and around the first corner first."

After his event, Mr Penbross, from Bonny Hills, noticed his heart racing. He collapsed soon after

He was taken to Port Macquarie Hospital before being flown to Newcastle.

There is no history of heart disease in the family and Mr Penbross is in peak physical condition.

Mr Penbross said he had sworn off Red Bull.

A spokeswoman for Red Bull said she was unable to comment on Mr Penbross's case, but that the product label was clear in advising against excessive consumption. She said labelling requirements for energy drinks were set by the Federal Government.

IN THE CAN

Red Bull contains: carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, acid (sodium citrates), taurine (0.4pc), glucuronolactone, caffeine (0.03pc), inositol, vitamins (niacinamide), pantothenic acid (B6, B12), flavours, colours (caramel, riboflavin). Each can contains 80 milligrams of caffeine.

Source: The Sun-Herald

Stinks of frivolous lawsuit. The guy admittedly intentionally overdosed on a drug without care as to the consequences of his actions. If he had died he would be a prime candidate for the darwin award.

"A spokeswoman for Red Bull said she was unable to comment on Mr Penbross's case, but that the product label was clear in advising against excessive consumption. She said labelling requirements for energy drinks were set by the Federal Government."

Interesting how accepted substances in the western world that can cause harm (and more appropriately, cause immense profits) simply get a dosage limit warning and then it's all fine and dandy.

But if a substance is legislated as illicit, or better yet is not legislated but threatens the western ego, there's no safe/acceptable dosage at all. :blink: cue the louis armstrong music :wink:

Teenage girl overdoses on coffee

August 14, 2007 08:13am

Article from: NEWS.com.au

By staff writers

A BRITISH teenager has been rushed to hospital after overdosing on espresso coffee.

17-year-old student Jasmine Willis downed seven double espressos while working in her family's sandwich shop and was left "burning up and hyperventilating".

He father Gary told the Daily Mail she thought the coffees were single measures and she was stunned when she started laughing and crying for no reason while serving customers.

"My nerves were all over the place," Jasmine said. "I was crying in front of the customers and had tears streaming down my face."

After being sent home, she quickly developed frightening physical symptoms.

"I was drenched. I was burning up and hyperventilating," she said. "I was having palpitations, my heart was beating so fast and I think I was going into shock."

Ms Willis's cousin called an ambulance and she was rushed to the University Hospital of North Durham where doctors confirmed she had overdosed on caffeine. After monitoring her condition for a few hours, she was allowed to return home.

The teenager said she can't stand the sight of coffee since her ordeal.

"I felt exhausted for days afterwards. I did not realise this could happen to you and I only hope other people learn from my mistake."

SOURCE

Jesus Christ

I know plenty of people who consume that much caffeine each and every day

The fool obviously had a pre-existing heart condition, took no notice of previous chest pain and recommended levels of consumption and loved the coffee rush which he obviously used to get him wired for his sport

lets just say he was completely honest and did not partake in any other performance enhancing drugs, he was still ignoring his body telling him that it was under stress at the same time as competing in what is a very taxing sport. I think there would be hundreds of diuretic and mildly stimulating substances that could have brought on such effects when when taken in large amounts under physical stress and in someone who has a pre-existing condition.

I bet if he saw his doctor about his previous chest pain he would have told him to steer away from coffee or caffeinated substances altogether

Oh and he was a smoker, shows he had no real concern for his health anyway and would have been unlikely to give any regards to warnings even if they were stamped on the can considering the graphic warnings on his smoke packet he conveniently ignored :BANGHEAD2:

"They say [on energy drink labels] don't have more than this much," Mr Penbross said.

"But they don't say if you have too much, what will happen."

what kind of basis is that? medications have "avoid consumption of alcohol", batteries have "do not charge" but often dont list consequences.... maybe hell try that next. is he so stupid to try somthing he is instructed not to do jsut because he is unaware of possible repecussions? would he jump of a cliff if he wasnt instructed not to at some stage in his life?

i assumed some things were simply common sense, how did he live through childhood?

Mother says to child "Dont play with power points"

dumbass

The usage guidelines on a Red Bull can are there for a reason. A bit of common sense on his part wouldn't have gone astray.

Thats what you get when you dont know when to stop. Cmon, 7 Espressos? I mean, some people just have to force it. In germany they want to ban flatrate parties because a 16 yo student drank 40 Tequila in one hour. If he´d drunk a bottle of fuel, no one would had mentioned it. The Result would have been the same. Suicide. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius