The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Μορφέας

Cannabis use increases risk of psychotic illness, 40% increase chance of psykosis

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1236...ic-illness.html

Cannabis use increases risk of psychotic illness

Using marijuana increases the risk of one day developing a psychotic illness such as schizophrenia, according to a study that provides some of the strongest evidence yet linking the drug to a mental disorder.

Marijuana is one the most commonly used illegal substances in many countries, with up to 20% of young people in places such as Britain reporting either some use or heavy use, British researchers said, citing government statistics.

Many consider it on par with alcohol or tobacco but the results shows marijuana poses a danger many smokers underestimate, said team member Stanley Zammit, a psychiatrist at Cardiff University and the University of Bristol in the UK.

The researchers found that :shroomer:marijuana users had a 41% increased chance of developing psychosis marked by symptoms of hallucinations or delusions later in life than those who never used the drug. The risk rose with heavier consumption.

"If you compare other substances like alcohol or tobacco, it may not be as harmful, but what we are saying is neither is it completely safe," Zammit said.

Other findings have highlighted the link between marijuana use and the risk of schizophrenia-like symptoms such as paranoia, hearing voices and seeing things that are not there.

But this study marks one of the most comprehensive, thorough and reliable reviews of its kind and should serve as a warning, two Danish researchers wrote in an accompanying article.

Raise warning

They said the results mean an estimated 800 cases of schizophrenia in the UK could be prevented each year by ending marijuana consumption.

"We therefore agree with the authors' conclusion that there is now sufficient evidence to warn young people that cannabis use will increase their risk of psychosis later in life," they wrote.

The team did not look directly at people who used marijuana but instead reviewed 35 studies in search of a potential connection between psychotic illness and using marijuana.

They reviewed evidence from studies ranging from one year to 27 years and only looked at research that did not include people already showing signs of psychotic illness.

The researchers also adjusted for factors – such as depression or a susceptibility to harder drugs – that could one day lead to a mental disorder to focus more directly on the links between marijuana and psychosis, Zammit said.

"We have described a consistent association between cannabis use and psychotic symptoms, including disabling psychotic disorders," the team wrote.

But both Zammit and the Danish researchers said ultimate proof to show a direct relationship would be have to come through a randomised trial of healthy young people and long-term follow-up.

Such a study, however, is unlikely given marijuana is illegal in most countries and the ethical questions given the drug's known harmful effects, they said.

Drugs and Alcohol - Learn more in our comprehensive special report.

Edited by Tepa

"But both Zammit and the Danish researchers said ultimate proof to show a direct relationship would be have to come through a randomised trial of healthy young people and long-term follow-up."

Says more than the study.

From my understanding cannabis (THC) has'nt been shown to cause schitzophrenia it only brings on syptoms.

"Conflicting science, I thought CBD reduced psykosis risk... my my"

CBD, from recent studies does appear to reduce pychotic symptoms but it is only one chemical in a plant that commonly contains 40 or more & has been found to contain well over 100 & THC is the main chemical constituent of cannabis which has been shown to bring on psychotic symptoms.

40% more than what? average non smoking people?, maybe people with underlying pychotic disorders are drawn to self medicate with cannabis?.

Edited by shruman

"Although you cannot be certain that the cannabis is causing this increase in risk, we think there is enough evidence to warn people," team member Glyn Lewis of the University of Bristol in the UK told New Scientist.

A quote from the article Tepa conspicuosly left out.

Why make such an alarmist report when the evidence is inconclusive & uncertain? I wonder what

their agenda is?

"If cannabis does cause psychosis, it could account for at least one in every 10 cases of diagnosed psychotic illness, the researchers say."

another quote from the article.

How the hell did they come up with that number?

heh I got a friend doing a research degree at the moment focusing on cannabis psychosis, some very stoned little lab animals...

The team they are on do not share the view that cannabis is the cause, but the more accepted view that it is a trigger/catalyst in prone individuals.

No a quote from the chuck of the article I didnt copy and paste by accident shruman

yeah the linked article is quite a bit different to the posted one :scratchhead: here it is:

Researchers say they have the strongest evidence yet that using cannabis increases the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses such as schizophrenia.

On average, smokers have a 41% greater chance of suffering from such disorders than those who didn't inhale, the new study finds. And the likelihood increases with increasing cannabis use, with heavy users three times as likely as non-users to develop psychotic illnesses.

Cannabis is the most commonly used illegal drug in the world. In the UK, for example, around 40% of young adults have used cannabis, according to research by the European Monitoring Center for Drugs and Drug Addiction.

Previous research has suggested a link between cannabis and schizophrenia-like symptoms such as paranoia, hearing voices and seeing things that are not there. But the possible association "has been an issue of tremendous debate and controversy for a long time", says Rick Rawson, a professor at the University of California in Los Angeles, US. "The science gets all mixed together with all the ideological views [about the drug]."

Now, researchers in the UK have reviewed 35 studies on the long-term effects of cannabis use in Europe, the US and Australasia and say the drug does in fact appear to be linked with an increased risk of psychosis. The original studies lasted from one to 27 years.

Causal link?

Because people with pre-existing mental health problems may be more likely to take drugs in the first place, the researchers excluded data from those already showing signs of psychotic illness. Still, they found an increased incidence of psychosis in cannabis users, suggesting the drug may somehow cause such disorders, they say.

"Although you cannot be certain that the cannabis is causing this increase in risk, we think there is enough evidence to warn people," team member Glyn Lewis of the University of Bristol in the UK told New Scientist.

If cannabis does cause psychosis, it could account for at least one in every 10 cases of diagnosed psychotic illness, the researchers say.

"There is a very good reason to be concerned," says Shaul Hestrin of Stanford University in California, US, who is investigating how cannabis-like substances affect brain cells. He says the evidence of a causal link in this latest study is "very convincing" but adds that even better evidence may come once scientists understand how cannabis actually changes the brain.

Rawson agrees: "The big question is how to determine who's at risk."

Journal reference: The Lancet (vol 370, p 319).

40% more than what? average non smoking people?, maybe people with underlying pychotic disorders are drawn to self medicate with cannabis?.

lol, considering you conspicuously left this out from the article:

Because people with pre-existing mental health problems may be more likely to take drugs in the first place, the researchers excluded data from those already showing signs of psychotic illness. Still, they found an increased incidence of psychosis in cannabis users, suggesting the drug may somehow cause such disorders, they say.

"lol, considering you conspicuously left this out from the article:"

LOL I thought this quote was a butchered version from Tepas article:

"The researchers also adjusted for factors such as depression or a susceptibility to harder drugs – that could one day lead to a mental disorder to focus more directly on the links between marijuana and psychosis, Zammit said."

I cant see this anywhere in the report though, "yeah the linked article is quite a bit different to the posted one " Did u rewrite it or something Tepa?

not sure why u included the first quote Apo? If ur talking bout this part "maybe people with underlying pychotic disorders are drawn to self medicate with cannabis?."

People with pschotic disorders dont always show signs so I would think quite a few would have still been icluded.

Edited by shruman

its like they have forgotten canabis is a psychedelic. "Other findings have highlighted the link between marijuana use and the risk of schizophrenia-like symptoms such as paranoia, hearing voices and seeing things that are not there." replace the word 'marijuana; with any other psychedelic and you have formed a true statment. their findings dont proove anything but it makes a few people display symptoms of mental illness.

hehe and i love how they left out people with pre existing mental conditions. alot of people cannot smoke weed as it doesnt sit with their bio chemistry, but there are a lucky few who it helps profoundly without negative symptoms, its seams they were aware of this so left it out of their report.

in the case of it causing mental illness later in life i say is a half truth. majority of mental illness will lie dormant untill later in life where life stresses rise it to the surface. smoking weed just brings it out early if its already there, impossible to proove tho, but my theory is that if a patient has a risk of mental illnes later in life, smoking weed will make them confront the issues now as apposed to the age of 30-50.

i dont understand why there are soo many studies out there that all contradict each other. just follow the paper trail to see who funded the study and there-in lies the answer.

""The ruling powers decided that one means of funding the alien-connected and other 'black' projects was to corner the illegal drug market. THE ENGLISH AND THE FRENCH HAD ESTABLISHED A HISTORICAL PRECEDENT WHEN THEY EXPLOITED THE OPIUM TRADE IN THE FAR EAST AND USED IT TO FILL THEIR COFFERS AND GAIN A SOLID FOOTHOLD IN CHINA AND VIETNAM, RESPECTIVELY. "A young ambitious member of the Council on Foreign Relations was approached. His name was George Bush, who at the time was the president and CEO of THE OFFSHORE DIVISION OF ZAPATA OIL, BASED IN TEXAS. Zapata Oil was experimenting with the new technology of offshore drilling. It was correctly thought that the drugs could be shipped from South America to the offshore platforms by fishing boat, to be taken from there to shore by the normal transportation used for supplies and personnel. By this method no customs or law enforcement agency would subject the cargo to search. "George Bush agreed to help, and organized the operation IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE CIA. The plan worked better than anyone had dreamed. It has since expanded worldwide. There are now many other methods of bringing illegal drugs into the country. IT MUST ALWAYS BE REMEMBERED THAT GEORGE BUSH BEGAN THE SALE OF DRUGS TO OUR CHILDREN. The CIA now controls most of the world's illegal drug markets."

So thats why I was busted for growing my own meds........lol

This is bullshit, I posted the whole thing, Someone ELSE did that to my post

I wouldnt be surprised if it was you sina spreading more propaganda about me!

Give it a rest Tepa, it's boring and childlike. I can't edit your posts in this subforum, and even if I could it would say "edited by apothecary".

Edited by apothecary

not sure why u included the first quote Apo? If ur talking bout this part "maybe people with underlying pychotic disorders are drawn to self medicate with cannabis?."

I included it because you accused the people who authored the study of not taking self medication into account, when they clearly did, and the second quote was included because I found it ironic that you did the exact same thing that you accused tepa of doing.

People with pschotic disorders dont always show signs so I would think quite a few would have still been icluded.

No statistical study is going to be perfect, otherwise it would be called a simulation of earth in entirety.

How long do these cases of "mental illness" last, how do you classify them, and are they still countered if the person fully recovers. There are alot of paranoid stoners around the place, and there symptoms frequently go away when they put the bong away for a few months or even cut down.