The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
celestariel

Shaggy mane ID

Question

Hey,

I'm a west coaster and I was walking to work as you do, on a cold monday morning and I crossed these guys in a park right in the middle of the CBD.

I'm not totally convinced they are shaggy's. I was gonna grab one on the way home to print, but someone had jumped on them all and trashed them, so I had to wait for the next flush to take these pics.

They definitely are inky as. As they matured their caps opened up, broke contact with the trunk and started flaking and dripping lots of black inky fluid, liquifying from the outside of the gills inwards.

The stems are very white until they matured and became stained with the fluid.

Can anyone ID these?

I've gotta say I love the fact these babies, battled the odds and popped up right in the centre of the metrolitan area.

:)

post-3701-1183779182_thumb.jpg

post-3701-1183779219.jpg

post-3701-1183779330_thumb.jpg

post-3701-1183779219.jpg

post-3701-1183779219.jpg

8 answers to this question

Looks like Coprinus to me. Pick and consume :)

are there any shaggy mane look alikes? i dont know much about then but im fairly sure i found a patch of 20-30 in burnley (inner melb, happy to share location pm me) a couple of days ago but was in a rush and didnt have time to have a good look. they are a pretty distinctive mushroom, is there anything they might be commonly confused with? if not i might head back with a camera and paper bag next time it rains.

woops, double post

Edited by genki

are there any shaggy mane look alikes? i dont know much about then but im fairly sure i found a patch of 20-30 in burnley (inner melb, happy to share location pm me) a couple of days ago but was in a rush and didnt have time to have a good look. they are a pretty distinctive mushroom, is there anything they might be commonly confused with? if not i might head back with a camera and paper bag next time it rains.

Not that I am aware of, the ink is a pretty good indicator, then just pick the young uninked ones

If u wanna make sure, pick one and leave it over night. Next morning u should have a nice pile of sloppy ink

cool, thanks. none of the ones i could see where mature enough to start decomposing

My advice is to cook them as soon as possible - lightly fried with garlic and butter - cut the stems off and the black stuff and you'll find it hard to believe they arent egg

These are edible, but it says in my field guide "avoid consuming Coprinus with alcohol" why is this?