The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Vertmorpheus

Minty Sagey Ginger Thing

Question

Found this by smell rather than eye, it was lurking amongst some cut back jasmine. My first thought was "why would ginger smell like sage?" (sometimes step on shallow wild gingers, you can smell some of em if you hang around once you've done the damage). After hunting around eyes closed nose open (must've looked great to anyone watching) I found it.

Lamiaceae I think, Labiateae maybe... maybe one of the more out there Salvias (the nodal areas don't have that "bubbled" look that salvias tend to, IME, IMO, but there are one or two kinds of salvia out there eh :lol:). No idea about flowers, but I happen past this way fairly often for a few years now and haven't noticed any, so either they're insignificant, or flowering when the jasmine has overgrown it, OR blends in ok with jasmine flowers). The leaves are very aromatic, have a thymey-ginger-sage-galangal--turmeric kind of smell (doesn't come close, really, other than the ginger)...sweet and tangy, but earthy rather than sugary... it numbs the tongue and dries quickly as whole leaves, a little leathery. Hairy upper and lower surfaces, but not overly so... not nettle-like. Non irritant unless you ate a heap I guess.

Pervasive smell, crushing just one dry leaf means you are smelling it on your hands and whatever you've touched for the rest of the day (think rosemary). A few wee inhalations (yeah, but some things just smell too tasty...) went down nicely, very flavoursome, spicy and hot but not biting or overly bitter. Might have (only a short drive this time) produced a focused, cleared-mind kind of relaxtion for a lil while... nic mint tea with some chamomile after, if more pronounced). Got some cuttings (well, snappings) of old andm iddle aged wood, see how we go. Doesn't look like any plants that come up as "ginger mint" "ginger sage", and if it was a long standing thing rather than some obscure in or out-breed I think I'd have seen it in herb books before. The specimen is about a metre by a metre in size, cut back from maybe 1.5 time thats? very woody, so maybe as a younger plant it was more recognizable.

Interesting, has to be useful for something if only stopping your grazes going septic or keeping bugs out of your sock drawer, creepies out of your cabbages.... That taste was something though... not something I'd want to have often but it's tasty when you do? Something like that.

Any ideas very much appreciated, apologies for bodgy photos...free tip, don't keep digi next to cold and condensation dripping water bottle in bag.

VM

post-1110-1183616770_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1183616867_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1183616945_thumb.jpg

post-1110-1183617020_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

I'd like to know too. My sis has one in her garden and I love the smell. quite camphory I thought.

looks a bit like Agastache rugosa, wouldnt account for the smell tho

does it have the typical square stem of the Lamiaceae family? guess you will have to wait for the flowers...

Edited by Conan Troutman

Looks a lot like a Nepeta.

yeah i agree with Phosphene Dream, very nepeta-ish, which would account for the strong smell also.

perhaps see if the neighbour's cat has any interest in it? :P

lol, yeah it has that woody edge to it eh T... if the same thing they be. Probably not a Nepeta (just from my impressions of the critter in the flesh). FTR, I'm with Jackie French on the catnip thing...placebo and suggestion in most cases :lol: Cat thyme does em in though.Effects of experimental smoking are something in common with xtra xtra super strong nepeta products I've tried, but much..sharper? Dunno...hard to put the finger on a new thing isn't it. Nepetas though (to me at least) tend more towards the mexican sage and flyspray combo, whereas this stuff smellsl ike someone set a spice rack on fire and chucked it through your window.

Eh, I'll wait til it flowers n send a lump the the cootha gardens... still tasty in the meantime.Hopefully the bits take off ok, not too chilly here so they should do ok. Sure this thing has some kind of potential.

Sorry, square stems yep, but without the pronounced "ridgeline" around the circumference of the nodal points.

cheers for the replies, send yez a bit each if my cuts take off this season,

VM

Nepetas though (to me at least) tend more towards the mexican sage and flyspray combo, whereas this stuff smellsl ike someone set a spice rack on fire and chucked it through your window.

LMFAO, man you sure do have a way with words VM

Cheers a cut would be nice indeed! Took me a while to figure out who you were Vertmorpheus.

:rolleyes:

took we awhile too, but then I figured well the photo on the licence in my wallet looked like me, so we mustbe one n the same. Nothing but fun ever since! People talk about finding themselves, as if they left themselveso n the roof of their car and then took one too many corners on the way home from the shops :lol:

Yeah if cuts start yez can have some, got a few, can get more I am sure. Still stuffed as to what it is.

enjoy the remaining 1 hour and 44 minutes of the weekend.

Vm

Tetradenia sp. maybe? :scratchhead:

T.riparia or the old name Iboza riparia

African origin

2m h, showy mauve or white fls.

smells a bit like nutmeg?

worth a try.

softwood cuttings :)

ahhhh cheers gecko... jumpin off in a second but I'll check that out... I grabbed second season snappings, see how I go... nutmeggy yes... 2 metres yes.. I'll arrange a line-up later and try to spot the suspect.

blood worth bottling you lot, though one sip and a person would be tripping for a month and detox for a year :lol:

VM

yep, I reckon you've nailed it there! riparia, or a very close rello I reckon... leasts it's a Lami... I must've seen it flower, happen past it most days... but it never made it to long term storage :lol: I'll keep an eye on it for the next year.

Interesting stuff, this from

>> http://www.afrihealth.net/traditionalmeds/.../tetradenia.htm <<

Major chemical constituents

diterpenes e.g. ibozol2, 7 α-hydroxyroyleanone, 8 (14), 15-sandaracopimaradiene-7α,18-diol3

α-pyrones e.g. umuravumbolide4, 5, tetradenolide6

essential oil (1.9%) of which the main components are: α-terpineol (22.6%), fenchone (13.6%), β-fenchyl alcohol (10.7%), β-caryophyllene (7.9%) and perillyl alcohol (6.0%)7

phytosterols

Dosage forms

An aqueous infusion or decoction is taken orally.

Medicinal uses

Used throughout its range as a traditional remedy for cough, respiratory problems, stomach ache, diarrhoea, dropsy, angina pectoris, fever, malaria and dengue fever, yaws, headache, toothache and as an antiseptic. GR1

Pharmacology/bioactivity

Moderate antimalarial activity of the leaf essential oil against two strains of Plasmodium falciparum has been reported 7.

The diterpene diol 8 (14), 15-sandaracopimaradiene-7α,18-diol has been shown to possess papaverine-like antispasmodic activity on methacholine, histamine and barium chloride-induced contractions of guinea pig ileum as well as on noradrenaline-induced contractions of rabbit aorta 3.

Leaf extracts (80% ethanol), tested for antimicrobial and antiviral activity, inhibited the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Candida albicans, Mycobacterium smegmatis, Microsporum canis, Trichophyton mentagrophytes and Bacillus subtilis.

________________________________________________________________________________________

the fenchone , terp tribe etc are interesting, and make me feel better about having to ally the smell of the possible Tetradenia to a dozen other plants to come close to explaining it... trad uses seem in line with what I got from my few small tokes, certainly would be good for colds n flus, stuffy head and vague brain etc... let yez know how the cuts go, should be able to get more if this lot kark it.

I owe a Gecko a drink...cool thing about that is he could hang upside down on the glass :lol:

VM