The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Horus

Psychotria ID

Question

Hi guys,

I have some doubts over my Psychotria.

Now it is fruiting I am wondering if it is a Nervosa.

I grew it from fresh seed,and lots of TLC.One seed out of ten sprouting.

I dont want to waste my Cappi on a brew if it is not Viridis, as I was lead to believe,from the supplier whom I have no reason to trust.

Here are some pics taken over the last months, I would be so thankful if one of this forums experts can help.

If it is how long do I wait till the new seeds are ready?

Cheers.

post-337-1183589171_thumb.jpg

post-337-1183589196_thumb.jpg

post-337-1183589119_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Doesn't really look like viridis, although pics can be deceiving. My bet is that it is alba or carthaginensis which I can't tell apart anyway.

How did you get the idea it was P.nervosa? I am not aware of that species.

Thanks Torsten.

I am glad to have such a respected member assist in my inquiry.

I got the Idea it is a Nervosa or "wild coffee" from a picture in Christian Ratsch's "encyclopedia of psychoactive plants".

Like you say pics can be deceptive.

This thorough resource does mention "carthaginensis" in the same wild coffee/Psychotria species section as an ayahuasca additive and goes on to say the Columbian Makuna Indians say eating the fruit will induce perceptual alterations that can persist for days,nausea,weakness and fever........don't think I will try to find out the truth in that personally.

There is no mention of the Alba species though it does say there are between 1200-1400 species.

Are these proven as being usable?

Cheers.

carthaginensis grows well in drier climates so is popular with folks who can't produce the rainforest environment needed for viridis. There are a few threads here that compare the relative potencies of the leaves. I don't think anyone has tried the berries.

I know nothing about alba either and find it looks identical to cartahginensis. I have not seen any analysis comparisons between alba and others. My gut feeling is that alba [or what is widely sold as alba] is probably the same species as carthaginensis.

Carthaginensis is often sold as chacruna, which is possibly where the confusion might have arisen with your source.

The leaves are much thicker than viridis so a gram by gram comparison is hardly fair. I think when you do a leaf by leaf comparison it doesn't fare too badly, especially considering just how much faster it fgrows.

Cheers.Torsten,

I will follow up on those threads.

Its for sure not nervosa. That has longer, pointed and deeply veined leaves. Quite a beautiful plant.

It is most likely cartheginensis which is dismissed as useless yet the literature does indicate that the minority are not. Alba got merged into it a while back but if you see the flowers closeup they can be distinguished. My alba in Texas always had far larger leaves than carthaginensis and (imho) are wonderful plants to have growing due to their beauty and friendly presence.

The fruit will get really fat and drop when ripe.

Its worth adding that a number of Psychotria have fruit that gets used as indigenous rat poisons.

Edited by trucha