The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Conference in the making.......

As coincidences go, it seems that today the perfect venue for a small conference popped up in the Byron/Mullumbimby hinterland. I still have to confirm, but it should hold about 100-150 people, is nestled in the bush and has quite a few ethnobotanicals in the garden.

As this is fairly short notice for organising such an event, we are looking at the end of summer to give us a bit more prep time. Still have to check which weekend would be the most suitable, but probably would be towards the end of the month of march.

As the venue is cheap or possibly even free, we will be able to keep the fee quite low. This is not a profit event and all fees will be spent on event matters. The nature of such an event means there will be plenty of free stuff to sample.

Obviously the whole thing will need to be entirely legal, but this will be no limitation to the creative people who will be involved in this.

I figured a full program from saturday morning through to sunday lunch would be the best, with the sunday seminars being available on video for those who have to leave early. On the other hand, we may just have to limit ourselves to saturday. Input on this matter would be great.

As we have a few DJ's in our local group and plenty of party organising experience, we thought of putting on a doof party on saturday night for the attendees to let their hair down and to get a social thing happening.

Been thinking and talking about this all afternoon, so this is just the preliminary concept. Any input would be great.

Accomodation would be independent, but we can probably make some affordable or free arrangements. Ditto with transport from trainstations and airports.

Guest Methfreak

Good Idea!!! : ) Ill come if i can. Just need a date/venue!!

I WILL be there no matter teh fuckin cost smile.gif

i will work my arse off to get to somethgin lie that

i defenty support!

set a date and i will be there

c-ay then smile.gif

please put billy on the mailing list !

and i'm sure my partner would also like to go - any problem with this? (she's much better looking and more pleasant than me).

p.s. is there still such a thing as 'mullumbimby madness'? or was it ever only a general description.

Guest Ramon

This sound excellent.

In regards to input about the program. From my perspective the more the better.

Guest Methfreak
Originally posted by Ramon:

This sound excellent.

In regards to input about the program. From my perspective the more the better.

Definitely the more the better...

Can't Wait I've been meaning to goto Byron for Ages!!

Lo everyone biggrin.gif

just a quick note (I WILL keep this short)to say that such a conference would have my complete support. If I could be any kind of assistance Id be more than happy to drive over and lend a hand.

FS

we can't let thsi topic die can we!

what abotu accodomation ?

and trasport once at venue?

c-ay'

pyro

Guest mulga

This topic isn't dead, awaiting confirming a venue and actually having a gathering of a few people in the area to get some basics down.

Basically however the more organisation of things like accomodation and transport that we have to organise, probably the more it would cost. Perhaps we could help with ideas, but that also depends on the numbers of people who really would turn up here, how many would need some help finding accomodation etc...

As soon as we have more of an idea of some details, you'll hear about it.

well, I'm assuming that the conference will be in Bryon yes?

There is always the backpackers for accomodation down there, and if worst comes to worst, you can always go pitch a tent and camp out somewhere.

as for transport, for someone without a car or a license, it is a problem for me...I think a few others have got this problem aswell.

Guest Ramon

Don't worry MrBumpy

Neither Hell or High water will keep me away from the conference so have room for people interested in sharing a ride down.

I think I was a bit brash in second statement as high water could probably keep me away.

yep i will give ya some money for fuel smile.gif

if not i will save and a take a fuckin bus frown.gif

i will be there thoug

Guest Silly Billy

id love to come!!

if only i had a car, licence, money, and some initiative. tongue.gif

if some of us sydney folk could organise a bus or something id pitch in some money weed need quite a few people though those things aint cheap.

Guest Raven

If any one lives in W.A, and wants to share

Transport, let me know.

I'm also interested in getting together with any Sandgropers, and Chattin.

Guest Emma

i'm sydneyish and i have a licence, i will possibly have a car too by early next year...

Guest 2sirius

Hi, If you are looking for presenters who can draw a crowd I would be happy to present at your conference. Since I have a great deal of respect for Shaman Australis and all of the great people there I will do the conference for no fee. But you will need to get me there (From the US) and feed me too redface.gif) I wish I could offer to present and pay my own way but unfortunately I am not well off enough to do that. I do know several people in New Zealand who would possibly make the trip and there are lots of others in Australia who have contacted me in the past. Just an idea. James Athur (http://www.jamesarthur.yage.net)

Originally posted by Silly Billy:

[b

if some of us sydney folk could organise a bus or something id pitch in some money weed need quite a few people though those things aint cheap.

[/b]

Is there supossed to be an apostrophie after 'money' wink.gif? If so, you can count me in wink.gif.

Guest reville

Im comin' for sure

i guess ill fly - but if theres a few sandgropers that want a road trip - id be in on that by preference

Chris King, New Zealander, co-author of Psilocybe aucklandii and a lot of very interesting looking stuff, might be worth contacting. Judging by the stuff on his web site, he would be a very interesting person to chat to and hear speak.

http://www.math.auckland.ac.nz/~king/

If I get to go [ie if the conference is before mid-March] I'll probably be driving a hire car from Brisbane and might be able to offer lifts depending on the desired itinerary of my girlfriend wink.gif.

Guest wira

That Chris King seems like a really interesting guy. I followed your link, rk, and was blown away by his other research interests!

Thanks for your offer James, but I don't think we will be able to afford an international speaker at this first conference. I have seen your website and I am intrigued and will certainly consider it for the future.

We want to make certain this first conference is a success and that everyone can afford it. Our remote global location has many advantages, but also many drawbacks in this regard.

Guest 2sirius

AWESOME! It looks like you did a great job with the listed group of presenters. I wish this was closer to the US, I would definately be there. I think it will turn out great. It looks like a great group of well diversified people. Best of luck to you guys. I hope it is a great success. Jim

Why is tassie a problem?? We've got presenters coming from as far as adelaide, and participants from as far as perth, cairns and darwin.

All new details available on the site now. Tickets on sale now.