The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
jasemateau

availability of Chenopodium ambrosioides

was chatting to friend in mexico today, and discovered they use alot of this herb called Epazote, in well almost allf of my fav mexican food.

i know its really got little to do with ethnobotany, but thought its porbly the best place for it to be seen with knowledgable people reading.

probly cant get in aust, dang it

looked at SAB to no avail.

anyone?

it's a weed in some areas. Including mine. I am pretty sure I never bought it anywhere, but latelye it's been popping up all over the place. Probably came in with diggers or soil deliveries.

Like most Chenopodiums the seed is tiny, so I am not sure how we will go collecting any. Probably best to just get cuttings which we will have in spring.

btw, the active constituent amd also the main flavouring agent is the same as in boldo, a herb that is banned as a food and therapeutic in australia. Boldo is widely used as a mate flavouring herb in Argentina and as a tea herb in its own right. It took me a while to appreciate it, but now I really like it. Flavour is kinda like a blend of kerosene and creosote.

well i was thinking along the lines of supply to the food industry, coz i never heard of it in aussie kitchens, could be another fad waiting to be utilized..

good thing i posted it here, coz if it is every where, i would never be able to spot it :)

anyways thanks gents.

Cumin for chilli.

Not like the Epazote herb which is only used in fresh salza.

A fresh tomato,onion and yes the E for a fresh topping.

Theres some mistake in chilli making as to use of dried chillis and cumin.

A blend to taste.

I'm sure I've had yerba here in aus that had a distinct smokey/tarry/leathery old man kind of taste to it, is that the gear youre talking about T? I picked this up in toowoomba of all places a while back. Or maybe its just stored near a lot of it before it gets sent overseas, or they use something to fake the flavour? This stuff is "Cruz de Malta" from Argentina.

Plants from SA are the backpackers of the botanical world, I've worked out that if its a weird looking weed on the NW fringes of brissy (ex cow country in some of it, still a lot of horsey-philes around) I'm better off looking at rain tree.com or similar than any of my usual weed books, which help just fine in the burbs.

Put my name down for a cut of the cheno in spring, never seen it around here for some reason and it sounds like itd be happy partying with the bulk jalapenos and limes I get every year (if you drop a jar in my kitchen you are safer just calling hazchem in case you end up with Chilli Willy Syndrome or similar).

I think its great how plants travel with no feet of their own, and end up just where they will do the best , clever little things.

VM

Edited by Vertmorpheus

The smoky flavour of mate can be from the drying/roasting process, which is often done over open coals.

The boldo is usually added intentionally and only just before brewing. Kinda like you don't usually store your lemons or milk with your black tea bags

I will give away the secret.

The limes instantly neutralize the hot peppers.

But if one didn't know that some grabbing at a glass of water is in order in Mexico.

A joke on tourists.

------------------------------------------------

But ground cumin seeds have a spicy taste equal to chiles and like twins must always go together for chile.

The epozote is only used in a diced tomato/onion fresh topping.

Not to everyones taste but I like it.

I always use a sprig of Epazote when I cook black beans.

I put it when I add the garlic ( 1 clove, whole) and salt. ie. 5-10 min before having the first serve.

usually make enough to last a day or two.

this is best served with fresh corn tortillas made for every meal of it.

also avocado when in season or sour cream, and fresh salsa.

-salsa-

ripe red tomatos or even better, green tomatillos (Physalis ixocarpa)- finely chopped

red onion- finely chopped

chile jalapeno- blistered over a flame, skinned and finely chopped

fresh lime juice

salt

mix together and sit for 1/2 hour or so

just before serving add chopped coriander

Sometimes if I make tacos I lay an epazote leaf across

the tortilla before adding the shredded beef and cheese.

The tortilla is then rolled up and held in place with a toothpick while it is shallow fried in oil.

when cooked the taco will hold it's shape.

served with salsa

yum :P

yeah, apparently it's used as an anti-flatulent agent when cooking beans

i have never tried it ... i saw it being sold in k-mart garden center once

epazote plants are in stock now :)