The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
paradox

interesting rib formation

Question

Pretty interesting rib formation on this as yet un-id'd peruvianoid. possible macrogonus? not sure but i like it.

med_gallery_2376_3_36542.jpg

Edited by paradox604

15 answers to this question

Pretty interesting rib formation on this as yet un-id'd peruvianoid. possible macrogonus? not sure but i like it.

did it have a wound of some sort?

Edited by Conan Troutman

There wasn't any wound. just grew that way. it is a pup from a large plant, & no mutation like this has been found anywhere else on the plant.

Almost looks like an aborted pup, would explain the monstrose look (imo anyway :lol: )

very interesting, i like the form and shape too, looks like it has a mouth and is eating itself hehe. :)

yeah looks like a damages meristem, if your lucky it will grow into a pup :) Looks like a kk242 to me but when its got some normal growth that will def help.

Gnarly, can you give us some more shots from dif angles and from further away please.

These are the only pics i have ATM but will get some more soon from different angles.

there does appear to be a wound directly above the mutation but i believe that it is not what caused the mutation, but is actually where it has split open as a direct result of the mutation. and the wound is above the mutated section which means that the section with the wound, grew after the mutated section, if you get my drift.

i'm not sure but i wouldn't think that it is an aborted pup because the cactus in the photo is actually a fairly young pup itself.

med_gallery_2376_3_24977.jpg

med_gallery_2376_3_33737.jpg

med_gallery_2376_3_26665.jpg

yeah i looks like the meristem damage I get somtimes, a small wound like really small on the meristem turns out huge like that when it grows out. What does the person who had it before think happened?

What does the person who had it before think happened?

has no idea :/

like i said, it hasn't happened anywhere else on the entire plant either.

yeah i looks like the meristem damage I get somtimes, a small wound like really small on the meristem turns out huge like that when it grows out.

cool.

do you agree that it is unlikely that, that wound has caused the mutation? for the fact that the possible small damage to meristem, due to it's location, must have occurred after the the mutated section already grew.

cool.

do you agree that it is unlikely that, that wound has caused the mutation? for the fact that the possible small damage to meristem, due to it's location, must have occurred after the the mutated section already grew.

Nah, I reckon the meristem (or area of the plant with actively dividing cells ie. the very center of the tip) got wounded and then the areole closest to it, most likely the freshest one right in the center thats just freed itself from the creation vortex :lol: , has started producing a pup as a hormonal response to the damage. Bestowed with the power of "apical dominance", but being situated just slightly off center, the new pup would have caused a slight disruption in the noramallly parallel order of the surround ribs - you see it when ribbed cacti lose or gain a new rib - but gradualy formed itself back in the middle, pushing the disruption out and growing above it normally.

so yeah.......... like stuff n' that

- Phil

what phil says sounds pretty good. There was damage to meristem thats what caused the mutation, and that scar is residual from it, but that scar was not caused to that extent from the initial incident, make sense? It sort of grew worse as it got bigger

makes perfect sense, thanks for the knowledgeable insight there guys.

learning stuff is good :)

meristem! theres another one to add to my slowly growing botanical vocab. "creation vortex" makes more sense straight off the bat :P i like that one. i like the mouth eating itself theory too :P haha

i'm wondering, how common is this tendency to produce pups as a response to damage?

is it more likely to happen when there is a specific type of damage to a specific area? i mean: would it only be likely to occur when there is damage to actively multiplying cells within the meristem or wa?

excuse my ignorance on the subject. Thanks again for your insights, i'm keen to learn more about this:)

if the meristem is damaged and cannot grow anymore then the plant will pup because an axillary bud will be activated by an increase in hormone levels as the hormones are not acting upon the ex-meristem anymore. Its what happens when you cut the cacti or pinch tips or prune most plants. when the meristem is damaged deep down then an areole that has yet to surface may pup and begin to grow giving rise to wierd growth such as that.

post-251-1172625401_thumb.jpgpost-251-1172625407_thumb.jpg

post-251-1172625401_thumb.jpg

post-251-1172625407_thumb.jpg

Edited by ferret

if the meristem is damaged and cannot grow anymore then the plant will pup because an axillary bud will be activated by an increase in hormone levels as the hormones are not acting upon the ex-meristem anymore. Its what happens when you cut the cacti or pinch tips or prune most plants. when the meristem is damaged deep down then an areole that has yet to surface may pup and begin to grow giving rise to wierd growth such as that.

thanks teo, it's all making perfect sense. very interesting.

this pup has been removed from the mother & is yet to root. i'll be planting some time in the very near future.

looking forward to seeing what the growth does. hoping for a pup out of that mutation.