The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
soma_seeker

Problem obtaining secondary flushes

My friend has been cultivating using the PF method for quite a while now and has had a mix of succes and failure. However, whenever a cake she produced succesfully reaches the fruiting stage it will ALWAYS produce at least 3 flushes (often up to 5, however the final 2 are quite poor).

That was until her latest grow. This time she produced easily the best results she'sever obtained in the initial flush but then little to no follow up growth. she has not changed her grow paramaters and always dunks her cakes for 12 hrs before birthing and between flushes.

What has changed however are some additives. she know adds a few drops of seaweed extract and a tablespoon of gypsum to every 5 cakes worth of mixture.

could this somehow be responisble for increased initial yld but no subsequent growth?

One other factor that has changed is the jars in use. They are larger in volume than 1/2 pint jars but the same approx. shape, the additional volume is due to their larger width rather than height. I don't know how this could substantialy effect the situation but i'm mentioning it because the problem seems to occur moreso with these new jars.

I realise there are quite a few new variables introduced here and i'm not expecting any concrete responses, but if anyone thinks they have some idea whats going on i would really appreciate ur input.

Below is a pic of the initial flush of 2 cakes from her latest grow. Each flush was the best yld she's obtained, yet only 1 produced 1 more yld and it was quite poor.

post-3511-1181363670_thumb.jpg

My guess the reason is because there is a limited quantity of nuits in the cakes and they were exhausted in the very impressive first flush you had.

At any rate it looks like you have the cakes down pat. Time to move on friend, the grain and case teks await :) No worries with lack of nuits there.

Considering you have done so well with the cake teks you will enjoy and be richly rewarded by progressing to the next level. I wanna see some pics of a case flush SS style :lol:.

As always good work SS.

haha thanks harry, not exactly what i wanted to hear but flattering and wise words either way :)

my gnome spent 2 days straight in the kitchen late this week and from the looks of it she was prep'ing 4 casings of WBS spawned to coir at a ratio of about 70% coir to 30% spawn in a substrate depth of about 3 inches.

she tells me she plans on letting them colonise for about 12-14 days and then fruiting them without a casing layer (due to her persistent troubles with trich mould). so yeh, hopefully i'll have some nice SS style casing pics to share in a few wks :)

peace