The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
naja naja

Native animal photography

ADSL preferable for viewing of larger images.

th_05516_DSC03980_122_688lo.JPG

good old huntsmen, they scare the living shit out of me. i once saw a real monster huntsmen, it appeared on a window when there were disturbances in the roof. it was more like a foreign tarantula in size.

some huntsmen are aggressive, and some have severe bites. anybody dream about spiders regularly?

anybody dream about spiders regularly?

Not regularly but one of the most bizarre experiences I've ever had was dreaming of being covered in spiders and partially waking up to see spiders all over me. I was stuck half in the dream-state half in the awake state running round my room trying to get imaginary spiders off me - scary shit.

Sorry for hijacking.

Peace

Tis a wolf spider, not a huntsman

yeah sorry for hijacking, i don't think i have any photos worth sharing, just ordinary critter shots.

shiva, that has happened to me at least 15 times, it's only 10 minutes later that it occurs to me that it wasn't real. also, countless less-intense experiences.

beetle on Panaeolus cyanescens

med_gallery_2376_7_9195.jpg

Tassie tiger snake- upper florentine Valley, TAS

med_gallery_2376_7_60014.jpg

Angry Tassie tiger snake

med_gallery_2376_7_67265.jpg

singing bird- florentine

med_gallery_2376_7_7720.jpg

Some species of Antichinus or marsupial mouse- Florentine

med_gallery_2376_7_39718.jpg

brush tailed rock wallaby- Wattagan mountains, central coast, NSW

med_gallery_2376_7_81496.jpg

med_gallery_2376_7_97064.jpg

fractal snail, cradle mountain/lake st clair NP, TAS

med_gallery_2376_7_8645.jpg

med_gallery_2376_7_50312.jpg

skink

med_gallery_2376_7_21234.jpg

have i gone a bit overboard here?

Edited by paradox604

thats a beautiful wolf mother if ever i've seen one! stunning markings! nice shot naja naja :)

...and Jem those tiger snake pics are amazing! that situation must have really been quite intense, it looks relatively okay with your company though, she sure is an absolute beauty, those eyes and shimmering geometricalishious scales... lovely...

post-710-1181210860_thumb.jpg

At work..just had a feed that will last a fair while..

Nice photos people

Paradox, I think your animal you've tagged antechinus is a rodent. Doesn't look like a marsupial and definitely not an antechinus to me.

Paradox, I think your animal you've tagged antechinus is a rodent. Doesn't look like a marsupial and definitely not an antechinus to me.

yeah i'm not sure what it is either, i don't really think it is a marsupial either, i thought it must be an antichinus. i'm sure it's native, as the photo was taken in a rainforest in the florentine valley, which is basically in the middle of the Tasmanian wilderness. Mind you it is currently being clear felled as we speak so you never know :BANGHEAD2:

while i was down there i went and stayed at one of the camps at the blockade up there. i found that little dude stuck in the washing up bucket one morning, he was all drenched & looking rather unwell. i let him go and he was sort of having little convulsions & stuff, so that probably add's to his dirty rodent kinda look. although i dunno, he also could have rode in there in one of the bulldozers or logging trucks.

yeah i'm not sure what it is either, i don't really think it is a marsupial either, i thought it must be an antichinus. i'm sure it's native, as the photo was taken in a rainforest in the florentine valley, which is basically in the middle of the Tasmanian wilderness. Mind you it is currently being clear felled as we speak so you never know :BANGHEAD2:

while i was down there i went and stayed at one of the camps at the blockade up there. i found that little dude stuck in the washing up bucket one morning, he was all drenched & looking rather unwell. i let him go and he was sort of having little convulsions & stuff, so that probably add's to his dirty rodent kinda look. although i dunno, he also could have rode in there in one of the bulldozers or logging trucks.

There are actually quite a few species of native rodent, as well as bush rats which have been 'naturalised'. Not sure about tassie in particular though.

i've just sent some photos of the rodent in question for id to Tasmanian NPWS. hopefully i'll get a reply with an id soon.

Here is a pic of my Stimson python laying eggs, and one of the eggs hatching

post-3173-1182295806_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1182295821_thumb.jpg

And a habitat pic

post-3173-1182296533_thumb.jpg

nice snake dude... would you be interested in a private sale of hatchling/s? provided that you are licensed.

The pics are a little old so I don't have any to sell. I just added them for interests sake. They where licenced though.

I had to sell or give them all away after resigning from parks as I didn't want the hassle of dealing with them any more. Parks that is not the snakes.

They are a pretty interesting hobbie though, well worth getting into.

do you know anything about cheap sources?

i'm trying to help somebody make a go of it, unfortunately the cost of reptiles is a big turn-off. they just cost so much. there must be cheap sources... thats why i asked about a private sale.

Sorry not sure.

The only advice I could give is to buy afew and start breeding them. As more people breed more snakes the prices come down as there is more available. Probably not so good for the breeder but good for the snakes and the new owners.

A couple of pics from a recent bush trip

post-3173-1221312046_thumb.jpg

post-3173-1221312073_thumb.jpg

Can anyone guess down to Genus species what the first one is?

The gecko is a Strophurus ciliaris or spiny tailed gecko

Wow some cool pics, Paradox, those pics of yours up in #6 are amazing, I like the bird profile, and particularly the tiger snake, looks like some scary stuff, but those eyes on that snake are amazing! Also the beetle on the pan.

Love that wolf spider pic too naja, think they have a nasty ulcerating bite don't they?

Peace

Eustacus yarraensis - bout 700 grams

I' didn't catch her, i'm not into poaching things from mountain streams and rivers, but i did save her from the dinner table.........

Aussie fresh water crustaceans are one of the most over looked group of creatures we have!!!

They are under alot of preasure at the mo, and people trapping them doesn't help, unfortunantly she cannot be released back to the wild.

post-3632-1221347244_thumb.jpg

rahli thats an interesting snake, where was it caught? got any better pics?

Ill post some pics later :)

rahli thats an interesting snake, where was it caught? got any better pics?

Ill post some pics later :)

The snake is a banded western brown (Psuedonaja nuchalis) displaying its false hood. This is the clearest picture I could get as it was down a 2 m trench and I didn't stick around long after it was safely out. The picture was taken in the NT.

You can see why their name transates to false cobra.

Here is another pic I took a few years ago while working out bush

post-3173-1221354448_thumb.jpg

hahaha damn you wernt supposed to tell me what it was, I was gonna guess Pseudonaja probably nuchalis. Ive never seen one but remember being amazed at the beauty of a banded one in my snake book.

Sorry to ruin your fun.

Looking forward to seeing some of your wildlife pics.

I'm going back out bush next week and will try to get some more cool pics. May not be the best quality as my camera is a waterproof optio pentax. sturdy point and shoot. Does the job outdoors - in the rain and dust.