The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

WARNING to noob collectors

It should be pointed out to those looking to collect subs for the 1st time this year, that a look-alike exists which grows in the same environments as subs. So much so, that it can even be found within inches from actual subs. I would differentiate the look-alike by its weaker stem, and slight annulus (collar)... and most likely spore print (although I dont know its print) I am not sure of species (galarina?) or toxicity, but I am told it is toxic.

Edited by shroomytoonos

galarina is deadly, beware.

It should be pointed out to those looking to collect subs for the 1st time this year, that a look-alike exists which grows in the same environments as subs. So much so, that it can even be found within inches from actual subs. I would differentiate the look-alike by its weaker stem, and slight annulus (collar)... and most likely spore print (although I dont know its print) I am not sure of species (galarina?) or toxicity, but I am told it is toxic.

:o Yes very good point to bring up...and to not forget!

There are species of Galerina in Aust.

The effects of Galerina poisoning are usually typical of what is known as phalloidian type mushroom poisoning.

ie. like poisoning from Amanita phalloides (The Death Cap- which grows in Aust. usually but, not necessarily around introduced tree )

The symptoms can be delayed for up to 24hrs after ingestion.

Stomach upset, nausea, uncontrolable vomiting, diarrhea and cold sweats with danger of dehydration.

These outward symptoms can abate and the victim may appear to get better, however the toxins keep working on the internal organs.

Irreparable damage to the kidneys and liver may and often does result in death.

Correct identification is the key.

get a few good ID guides

study how to ID mushrooms

familiarise yourself with the poisonous look alikes

and enjoy the 'quiet hunt' :)

Silymarin can be a life saver in cases of mushroom poisoning so if it ever happens be SURE you get medical treatment and tell them exactly what you did. Hospitals have an injectable form.

It comes from Silybum marianum seeds, next time I send stuff to AFSR I should include some of them again. You can also probably locate 'milk thistle extract' pills in a drug store, if I were going to pre-dose and post-dose out of caution before eating field grown mushrooms I'd use the pills but alas no mushrooms in the desert so I just munch the seeds for a healthy liver and prostate.

Most essential, of course, is correct identification of mushrooms.

yeah this really can't be stressed enough. i mean, it seems pretty obvious that we should not go eating un id'd shrooms & such but we'd be surprised how dumb some people can be.

i think it's a little worrying for people on the forum when someone new to mushrooms comes on here and starts asking questions, because no-one knows how smart or dumb the person may be, so sharing info without strong warnings could be very dangerous.

stay smart

And stay away from the orange stemmed look-alikes, they are easily confused.