The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Koala (Luke Perth)

Perth Seasons?

Hey guys.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows whats the best time for hunting in Perth?

I'm very new to mushrooms usually just a native plants man.

Thanks guys.

Hey guys.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows whats the best time for hunting in Perth?

I'm very new to mushrooms usually just a native plants man.

Thanks guys.

Its the mushroom season now, but you won't find any in Perth... you'll need to take a trip to Balingup, but be VERY careful, because the locals all know what's up, and the cops like to keep an eye out this time of year, especially if your car's crap... mind you, people bring back big bags from down there all the time, so it's up to you to decide if it's worth the risk.

Not sure if there are any other areas in the SW, Balingup is all I've ever heard of.

If you do decide to check it out, let us know how you get on... safer to grow your own IMO though.

Weve had loads of autumn rain which is a very good start although from my understanding it is nowhere near cold enough yet. You really want to wait until the cold snaps hard (light frost covering) and it doesn't get above 15 Deg C during the day. When its time to wear the thich socks and an army coat over your jumper and a beanie and gloves, thats when its time to look, providing we get some reasonable winter rains.

As muchroom picking is not particularly legal depending on the mushroom you are probably better off just bringing a camera and leaving the site in the pristine condition you found it in.

I saw loads of slippery jacks when I was down in the forest in Bridgetown, a Polish friend of mine tells me his parents would go picking for them in the old country and fry them up with butter. Apparently they taste quite nice. I cant quite get over the spongy flesh over nice gills.

:shroomer:

Yeah, exactly as posted above - its time when the first temps drop to around 4-5C overnight and the maximum in the day isnt reaching 20C any more....

The heavy rains lately might prove to be very helpful in getting the mycelium re-established however and prove fruitful when that time does come - it wont be long thats for sure, but theres definitely not much around yet.