The Corroboree
Coschi

MELBOURNE FINDS !!!!

gosh this thread got a bit heated... all in search of something that is supposed to expand ones mind, (or so I hear south american folk did a long time ago). I thought I might just drop a saying I really like that I've heard many times in many different situations:

the only stupid question is one that you don't ask.

further... I have found sub's growing opposite the beach in a woodchip garden, clearly they don't mind the coast.

peace - it's supposed to be about sharing knowledge right? and learning stuff with the aid of powerful plants etc?

dudes

*siiiiiiiiiiigh*

If you're in MELBOURNE, look for WOODCHIPS or woodchip-like areas.

there, nuff fuckin said

"i aint gonna give out guaranteed-success locations either, now wouldnt that be stupid."

Thats ok, I have PM'd you soundman you can come on my next hunt if you like, so can you crix and anyone else who wants to come along is more than welcome, we will almost certainly be raiding mu's favourite spots in North-Central Vic.. sorry mu, better get up bright and early mate :wink:

awwww c'mon guys, you cut me deep now :P

if i cant come hunting too i may aswell go back to my grassy patch of subs then..

oh hang on, arent subs likely to be found on.....

WOODCHIPS!!!!

1_4x3_4WoodChps.jpg

now back to the MELBOURNE FINDS and not the unnecessary bitching about the way advice is given out :rolleyes:

Edited by mu.

"if i cant come hunting too i may aswell go back to my grassy patch of subs then.."

Like I said mu.. "anyone else who wants to come along is more than welcome", I would be honored if you would join us :)

"arent subs likely to be found on..... Woodchips"

Apparently so but I have never bothered looking. I know Stamets and others recommend looking for woodchip beds and I have seen pictures posted here of people who have found reasonably good patches this way but as far as I am concerned it is not worth my time but perhaps by the end of the season someone will convince me otherwise, anyway what would I know, I'm just a n00b right? :blink:.

I haven't been since before the drought but my old haunts up in the mountains used to produce (photographs of) very large quantities and were very reliable. My friends and I used to ... um.. spot at least a couple hundred most times before moving on to the next spot and by late morning we would have usually 'spotted' too many to count, if anyone can accomplish this by running around the CBD looking through woodchip beds then I would be interested to see the pics, hopefully I will stand corrected.

Soundman is new to Melbourne, in fact Australia and does not have a car. It seems harsh to just let the poor guy wander around the Yarra River in search of subs don't you think?. Greenhouse has provided Melways references so those with their own transport should be able to get on to some too. I should also point out that I have lost my license till early June (although it doesn't seem to worry me much) but I have a car and as long as someone out there is a capable driver then you are welcome to drive my car if I can't convince a friend to drive, although it would be nice and easy if someone else would be good enough to take their car.

Other members such as divinersage are coming up with some pretty funky looking fungus that certainly are not subs and even confusing rot with blue bruising and I have seen some pics here that look a lot like Galerinas so it would not hurt to increase awareness among the community (although it does get a little frustrating with so many pictures of real subs available on the forum as a reference).

I only have 10 posts or something so I will go up with a friend soon and photograph some subs just so you know that I am not leading you on a wild goose chase and make sure that we know that the season is in full swing before I drag people up there and please be aware that this place is about an hour out of Melbourne. It is supposed to rain until Thursday I think and then start up again on monday and go till next thursday, therefore I will most likely go up this friday morning and see whats happening, if no luck I will be back up next week. The rain over the next couple of days is supposed to be light and mainly around the SE suburbs of Melbourne I think but hopefully next week we will get some heavy rain and more importantly... electrical storms.

DISCLAIMER: I should say now that I am not taking anyone anywhere to pick magic mushrooms as this would be illegal and therefore is behaviour that I can not condone. I view this as being much like a nature walk in which we will be viewing & photographing our native flora, fauna and fungi in their native habitat, among these fungi will be both Psilocybe subaeruginosa and amanita muscaria, if you decide to pick & consume these mushrooms it is your decision made of your own free will and I bear no responsibility for your actions. In fact if you want to find amanita muscaria you are better off not coming at all as all though we will most likely find some there are better places to look, the best place that I can think of would be under the pine trees in Neerim Sth.

Also, I recall someone (although I can't remember who) saying that they were only 16 years old or something and unfortunately I have to say that for reasons which I wont go into right now, I don't think it would be wise or responsible of me to show you where to find potentially fatal fungi so if you are not at least 20 years of age and of sound mind then please do not ask me (& don't bullshit me either, I'm not stupid).

PS: I hope that others here will also help out us n00bies and stop people from wasting so much of their time, then hopefully you will also not be burdened with so many annoying threads asking you to ID such strange looking shit all the time. I am likely to be overwhelmed pretty soon so I would appreciate it if you could all share the load a little, after all this is a community and we should all be able to share (by that I mean photograph) the fruits of the forest right?

Thanks.

Edited by baphomet

personally i have never found subs along the coastal strech of melbourne, inner city there are some crackign spots well used to be a few years ago.

last year some of us found some in the city.

most spots these days that i knew for the last 10 years or so ar eno so good these days, i seen patches come and go one of my favourites was in brunswick, it was in a roundabout which was known as the magic roundabout hehehehe

a few years back a member called hanky used to show amazing photos of patches he found out in the eastern suburbs.

i have found subs growing mostly in woodchips in city locations but in some spots around clifton hill have found them growing in the dirt but i suspect that some mulch was under the dirt and they were jsut growing of that.

sadly i seen some of my favourite spots trashed, which is a real shame

10 - 12 to even 15 years ago you would find subs all through richmond, i havent seen subs in richmond for a long while but i tend not look there much these days.

they can be anywhere you just gotta find the right spots i hear they are more easily found over inm the eastern suburbs but i dont live over that way so rarely look out that way.

last year i even found some in the western suburbs and in my experience they can be not so easily found out in the west, outer western suburbs i mean, but once again i havent given alot of looking out in the west.

PS: I hope that others here will also help out us n00bies and stop people from wasting so much of their time, then hopefully you will also not be burdened with so many annoying threads asking you to ID such strange looking shit all the time.

Nice attitude mate, you'll be helping a lot of people in more ways than one. Respect.

PS: I hope that others here will also help out us n00bies and stop people from wasting so much of their time, then hopefully you will also not be burdened with so many annoying threads asking you to ID such strange looking shit all the time. I am likely to be overwhelmed pretty soon so I would appreciate it if you could all share the load a little, after all this is a community and we should all be able to share (by that I mean photograph) the fruits of the forest right?

Thanks.

ill drink to that.

"if i cant come hunting too i may aswell go back to my grassy patch of subs then.."

Like I said mu.. "anyone else who wants to come along is more than welcome", I would be honored if you would join us :)

"arent subs likely to be found on..... Woodchips"

Apparently so but I have never bothered looking. I know Stamets and others recommend looking for woodchip beds and I have seen pictures posted here of people who have found reasonably good patches this way but as far as I am concerned it is not worth my time but perhaps by the end of the season someone will convince me otherwise, anyway what would I know, I'm just a n00b right? :blink:.

Well when Stamets gives you advice, and everyone else on this forum gives you advice, and you still don't take it, you are the one who is contributing to filling up threads with useless information.

No-one is going to show you their patches, whether you're willing to drive or not.

You will understand this once you have found one that is easily accessible and yields well that no-one else knows about.

Whether you can drive or not appears to have no impact on sub hunting with the public transport system as it is in Melbourne. Hit the trains/trams/buses and get out there.

My recommendation would be to take the advice form those more experienced to help you along the way before you make any more complaints, and go out and put in some solid hours of hunting before you look for an easy way out.

I was trying to counter some of the negativity that existed before and I don't think I did too badly, you seem to have successfully f****d things up again though.. nice :wink: I have heard other people complain on this forum that you ethnobots are a tuff bunch to fit into and if you all have attitudes like this I'm not sure I really want to. I have been reading your posts and you seem like a nice guy who is normally more than happy to help so I guess you must just be having a bad day, perhaps you were tired or drunk or something but please could you actually read my posts next time before responding to them? Thanks.

"No-one is going to show you their patches, whether you're willing to drive or not."

Err.. I was actually offering to show other people my patches dude, now don't you feel silly?. The attitude that you seem to be displaying now is the main reason I initially posted and luckily you are wrong, greenhouse has offered to provide people with melways references and I have offered to take people like soundman to my spots as he is new to this country and does not have a car, if I left it up to people like you he would be wandering around the yarra looking for subs that he may never find. I have been PM'd by someone else from Eltham who just wants to learn how to identify them, then hopefully after that he can find them locally so that my spots do not get too crowded, others too are simply wanting to know how to identify them and if I go out of my way to show them I hope they will then use their initiative to find their own patches after this or at the very least contact me to see that the dates that they go up there will not clash with mine.

"Well when Stamets gives you advice, and everyone else on this forum gives you advice, and you still don't take it, you are the one who is contributing to filling up threads with useless information."

Hey man, when it comes to growing most ethnobotanical plants I am a n00b, I do not deny this and I am in awe and appreciation of the knowledge that Torsten and others have and are willing to share, but for you to arrogantly suggest that I need your advice or that of Paul Stamets to find mushrooms in the state that I have lived in my entire life is frustrating and flat out wrong. I may only have a few posts on the board but I'm from the old school mate :P when it comes to mushrooms, I don't need to ask you for shit :bootyshake:

"You will understand this once you have found one that is easily accessible and yields well that no-one else knows about."

I repeat: "I haven't been since before the drought but my old haunts up in the mountains used to produce (photographs of) very large quantities and were very reliable. My friends and I used to ... um.. spot at least a couple hundred most times before moving on to the next spot and by late morning we would have usually 'spotted' too many to count"

"My recommendation would be to take the advice form those more experienced to help you along the way before you make any more complaints, and go out and put in some solid hours of hunting before you look for an easy way out."

Care to point out where I was previously complaining and how I was trying to take the easy way out? Cheers.

"Whether you can drive or not appears to have no impact on sub hunting with the public transport system as it is in Melbourne. Hit the trains/trams/buses and get out there."

Ok, perhaps I should just throw down the gauntlet :slap: How 'bout you run around the city on public transport and I will drive up to my old faithful spots in the woods with my fellow noobs and see how many you can photograph compared to us? Maybe you will completely humiliate us or it may even be the other way around, who knows? As I said before I do not consider it worth my time to run around Melbourne looking for woodchips when I know of places just out of town that were very reliable and used to produce large numbers. I know all too well that they often grow on woodchip beds and if you had read my post properly you would have heard me say things like this:

"I know Stamets and others recommend looking for woodchip beds and I have seen pictures posted here of people who have found reasonably good patches this way but as far as I am concerned it is not worth my time but perhaps by the end of the season someone will convince me otherwise."

"if anyone can accomplish this by running around the CBD looking through woodchip beds then I would be interested to see the pics, hopefully I will stand corrected."

I was not trying to sound like a smart ass, I genuinely don't know if it is worth my time looking for them this way when I know of other spots that used to be so reliable, the places I used to go to are in the bush however and perhaps the drought has rendered them useless? I just don't know until I go up there. It may prove to be the case that I would be better off looking for well watered woodchip beds this year and I am hoping to see how you guys go before I dedicate any time doing this, thats all.

I was doing my best to contribute but sadly negativity seems to follow me around and sometimes I honestly feel like I'm cursed. I just wanted to build a good rapport with other members here so I promised myself I wouldn't post in the politics and religion section of this forum because I know its a sure recipe for conflict but alas, I saw a thread in praise of Crowley and I couldn't resist so already I have almost certainly pissed off several long term members. Maybe I should go and buy myself a copy of how to win friends and influence people and read it before I dare post another comment?

Edited by baphomet

haha good one hyphal! now u made someone sad u psychedelic bogan!

Wow! Just found a spot in my area where i dont even have to leave the car!

There goes the "good exercise" justification.

I was trying to counter some of the negativity that existed before and I don't think I did too badly, you seem to have suc... [blah blah blah]

Dude, if u dont realise that attempting to apply rational analysis to chaotic events is both a waste of energy and extremely distracting, you will exist always in the same conflict, and not get as much out of this life as you could have.

Let others be noisy and full of negative emotion. You exist for higher reasons.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OOPkfl89kNo

Also Baphomet as your new to the site please be aware that this website is monitored by Australian based authorities and that a number of members have received pms inciting them to perform incriminating actions and activities from members with rather interesting ips.

Edited by benjahman

Just wondering if anyone else ever got the feeling that mushrooms find you when the time is right rather than the other way around? Chicken or the egg?

It a bit of a bummer to see such discussion going on around something that potentially can assist humans to transcend shit just like this bit of conflict. Perhaps those involved could go and take pictures of mushrooms together :rolleyes:

peace

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OOPkfl89kNo

Also Baphomet as your new to the site please be aware that this website is monitored by Australian based authorities and that a number of members have received pms inciting them to perform incriminating actions and activities from members with rather interesting ips.

Bwahahahaha.... *phew*... B):lol:

Social artistry.

Crikey... :o

Far out man, really, all I was getting at was that everyone recommends hunting in wood chip beds, and you see no reason to do it.

Hey man, when it comes to growing most ethnobotanical plants I am a n00b, I do not deny this and I am in awe and appreciation of the knowledge that Torsten and others have and are willing to share, but for you to arrogantly suggest that I need your advice or that of Paul Stamets to find mushrooms in the state that I have lived in my entire life is frustrating and flat out wrong. I may only have a few posts on the board but I'm from the old school mate :P when it comes to mushrooms, I don't need to ask you for shit :bootyshake:

I never offered you any advice other than to listen to the woodchip suggestions, and to get out there and have a look for yourself, albeit a bit harsh.

My defence for being harsh is frustration at you discounting good advice without trying it.

Honestly man, I'm sorry to have upset you so much, that result was far form the intention.

I was under the impression that you didn't read my post before commenting and to be honest I still am, I see no other way to interpret some of your statements like the one about no one being prepared to show me their patches for example.

"My defence for being harsh is frustration at you discounting good advice without trying it."

Like I said I was waiting to compare photos and see how other people go first, I used to spot close to 1000 some days in the country and I am interested to see if people can match these sort of numbers by looking around the city and as I said before "hopefully I will stand corrected" and learn from others so that I wont have to travel so far in future.

"Honestly man, I'm sorry to have upset you so much, that result was far form the intention."

No worries. If you look back you will see that it was never my intention for things to turn out this way either, far from it! lets all just move on shall we?

"Also Baphomet as your new to the site please be aware that this website is monitored by Australian based authorities and that a number of members have received pms inciting them to perform incriminating actions and activities from members with rather interesting ips."

I have read torstens post regarding the surveillance of this site and maybe your right, I think perhaps I should withdraw my offer now to anyone who has not already contacted me, crix, soundman, and anyone else who has pm'd me are still more than welcome but things are already getting kind of crowded and we don't want it to turn into a motorcade.

If anyone thinks that I am a cop who is setting them up to be arrested for .. uuum .... conspiracy to photograph a mushroom or something then feel free to pull out and salivate over the subs that I photograph in the near future, cheers.

"My defence for being harsh is frustration at you discounting good advice without trying it."

Like I said I was waiting to compare photos and see how other people go first, I used to spot close to 1000 some days in the country and I am interested to see if people can match these sort of numbers by looking around the city and as I said before "hopefully I will stand corrected" and learn from others so that I wont have to travel so far in future.

One last question then - are you saying that you won't go hunting until you know you will at least find 1000 for your efforts?

Come on mate, I asked you to read my posts this time, let me repeat something for you again:

"the places I used to go to are in the bush and perhaps the drought has rendered them useless? I just don't know until I go up there. It may prove to be the case that I would be better off looking for well watered woodchip beds this year and I am hoping to see how you guys go before I dedicate any time doing this, thats all."

"One last question then - are you saying that you won't go hunting until you know you will at least find 1000 for your efforts?"

No I wasn't saying that at all, you are putting words in my mouth. I was simply saying that I would feel far more confident going back to the places that I am familiar with and that I know used to produce, for now at least anyway. It is still very dry out there and according to the beuro we are in for a dry winter so it would be silly for me to hope for the same quantities that were up there last time because like I said I haven't been there since before the drought, to be honest it hasn't interested me for the last few years but lately I have been looking through these forums about iboga and other plants and it has re kindled an interest in mushrooms.

I probably haven't quite found 1000 in the past but on a good day its been pretty close, maybe more like 800 but either way it was too many to count. I am getting tired of saying this and I am surprised that you don't see my point yet which is this.... why would I want to go looking in other spots without knowing that it would most likely be more productive than the places that I am already familiar with? I mean the Idea is to go to the most productive spots is it not? If you are suggesting that I am somehow being greedy or something then I ask you to read my posts properly and you will see that I am not.

I hope that really was the last question because I'm sure everyone is getting pretty tired of this so as I asked before can we please just move on now? Back to pics of Melbourne subs I say, to hell with this!

Bejeevus, I was really hoping this wasn't going to turn into a quote fest! :wub:

Come on mate, I asked you to read my posts this time, let me repeat something for you again:

"the places I used to go to are in the bush and perhaps the drought has rendered them useless? I just don't know until I go up there. It may prove to be the case that I would be better off looking for well watered woodchip beds this year and I am hoping to see how you guys go before I dedicate any time doing this, thats all."

Don't be an ass hair, of COURSE I read your posts!

I would strongly suggest you read these threads from start to finish, if you are looking for 'proof' before you 'dedicate anytime to doing this' - HERE and HERE.

I am getting tired of saying this and I am surprised that you don't see my point yet which is this.... why would I want to go looking in other spots without knowing that it would most likely be more productive than the places that I am already familiar with? I mean the Idea is to go to the most productive spots is it not?

I think the idea is different for everyone, it's a personal thing.

For me it's about getting out and seeing, touching, experiencing, exploring, interacting, learning and enjoying - with the added buzz of striking gold when you do!

It's all good mate, you're a cool dude and put lots of time and attention to structuring your posts - I just hope you reserve some of that energy for understanding my point and getting out there to have a look!

Perhaps someone has some habitat shots to aid baphomet in his quest?

Just wondering if anyone else ever got the feeling that mushrooms find you when the time is right rather than the other way around? Chicken or the egg?

It a bit of a bummer to see such discussion going on around something that potentially can assist humans to transcend shit just like this bit of conflict. Perhaps those involved could go and take pictures of mushrooms together :rolleyes:

peace

I totally agree dude.

When they find me I like to build a sweat lodge (seriously) and pay every respect I can think of. When I discover a new one it feels as though the Universe has summoned me: I get slightly nervous, almost a feeling of performance anxiety, like a first date or something.

There are a few places around where I know they grow at the right times but I try not to return to them, it just feels abusive. I feel they are a valuable and powerful gift that is best appreciated after many hours of searching, or with the pleasent suprise of stumbling accross them.

PS: Ever had tea in a sweatlodge? Very very intense experience.

No never had tea in a sweat. But have had some that really shift stuff for me. I was just thinking about building a sweat this morning actually... it's usually this time of year that we do round this way. Last year was epic :)

I'm off to start a thread on sweat lodges now...

Back to the pictures of melbourne's shroom action :wink:

thats horse shit yeah?

thats horse shit yeah?

Yep, horses and P.radiata. It probably shouldn't be in this thread since it was on the Central Coast but it was mentioned earlier in the thread so I posted it.

The thread kind of went to shit there for a bit any way, it seemed fitting to post a pic of it plus why the threads here in the first place.