The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
teonanacatl

alternative living forum?

i like the name "ethical living"

or perhaps "low impact living"

"sustainable living" is good but the word "sustainable" has been bastardized alot recently.

for instance, has anyone heard john howards plans to burn Tassies old growth for electricity and call it sustainable, renewable, green energy :blink:

that's terrible!

renewable yes, but that doesn't deserve to be called sustainable or green. they'll be burning green stuff, but isn't "green energy" considered to be A. clean and B. low impact on the environment ??

old growth is renewable. but it takes 400 years within a balanced ecosystem to renew, i hate when that term is applied to old growth logging even though it is technically true.

Late to the party here. Alt living forum is a great idea. Look forward to contributing, and acquiring info.

i'm with you paradox. logging old growth is just outright plundering. the liberal government loves this kind of thing because on paper, the country is making lots of $$$. however if you factor in the environmental cost, you see that our country isn't really doing that well after all.. we are making lots of $$$ but at great cost.

the arrogance of it astounds me. these trees were probably growing before european settlement and even the great grandchildren of the people who chop them down won't see them restored to their former glory. outright plundering is what i call it.

also in tassie a GREAT DEAL of old growth, particularly that which borders the world heritage area has "high conservation value"

gunns (tassie woodchipping corporation) knows this, so they're involved in a mad rush to destroy as much old growth as possible as quickly as possible because obviously once old growth is logged it no longer has any conservation value whatsoever, which means to them: free land! once they have destroyed the high conservation areas they are then free to use that land for their plantations (which by the way have no ecological value or biodiversity as they are all the one species of tree. not to mention that in their plantations they lay 1080 poison laced carrots to kill all the native marsupials etc which may eat the seedlings).

with old growth logging in tassie they literally spend more money building the roads and running the machines to get the logs out then they actually make from selling the woodchips. no shit!

so right now it's just fucking insane down there. wait til you go there and see this stuff! it will make you cry!

but i highly recommend people do go down there and check it out. that place is fucking incredible and for a plant head it's heaven!

go up into the forests and help out with some of the action, it's not all hippies and freaks, i met so many amazing and inspiring people down there and everywhere i went i was utterly blown away by the enigmatic natural wonder of the place!

edit: not that i mind hippies and freaks :wink:

Edited by paradox604

Great idea, my wife and I have just started getting serious about our lifestyle in relation to ecology relatively recently, so I'm looking forward to hearing other people's experiences and ideas.

I like "Sustainable Living" and "Low Impact Living," but I think "Ethical Living" sounds a bit preachy, and "New Age Living" is a big turnoff to me...

How about "Green Life"?

LOL the subtitle could be "it ain't easy..."

Sounds good, Im big into wildcrafting, hunting, trapping and bushliving as well as the other topics, should be a interesting mix.

That would be very cool,

many a time iv wondered how one would go around creating a self sustanable (is that the word) home.. solar panels, water, food, all the rest