The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
chilli

Imminent alien fungi invasion...

Okay, my camera's messed up, so this isn't actually my specimen, but I have these weird fungi popping up in my yard from time to time, can anyone ID it? Does anyone else get them?

post-1250-1175963023_thumb.jpg

Also, I quite often get this clear gelatinous stuff turning up on top of soil, in soil, and the weirdest of all, sort of strewn in big blobs on vines and plants... it's like perfectly clear, slightly rubbery jelly. Has anyone heard of anything like this? It really spins me out.

thats fungi???

WOW

i mean that looks more like coral, so trippy

did it grow above or under the medieum?

McKenna has a good argument for all fungus being a case of panspermia (in The Archaic Revival). Something along the lines of it's total feasibility and if i didn't make this part up, the lack of any ancient fossil record of fungus. You see spores could easily survive cosmic radiation, space-faring and planetary re-entry, and for a spore 500 million years adrift is nothing. Their coating is among the hardest substances in nature and space is ideal for their preservation. Plus, fungus looks really weird.

That one you have there is a definite candidate for interstellar introduction, much like the kiwi accent. Never seen anything like it and eager to hear it's explanation.

Try this page under 'jelly fungi' to ID your gelatinous stuff.

http://www.hiddenforest.co.nz/fungi/index.htm

wow. check out some new zealand fungus sites. they have so many impressive speciments! far more impressive than anything growing in queensland. we have several glow-in-the-dark mushrooms but nothing nearly as appealling in daylight.

I used to get them all the time when I lived in NZ, was in rotorua, and we had plenty of rain there, heaps of mycology! all sorts of pouches etc

i mean that looks more like coral, so trippy

did it grow above or under the medieum?

Yeah, it looks a lot like coral actually... its really ephemeral, practically disappears after a couple of days, yes it grows right on top of the ground.

*edit* There's certainly some beautiful fungi around here, I'll miss it when I go back to Perth... especially the little 'fun guys' my brother just brought back from his walk to the shops this morning.

Edited by IllegalBrain

*edit* There's certainly some beautiful fungi around here, I'll miss it when I go back to Perth

here i was thinking that most of the beautiful fungi was in the northern hemisphere. score one for new zealand!

i wouldn't know where to begin searching for an ID, it's such an unusual fruiting body. where do you suppose the spores are?

modern fungus taxonomy is very micro-oriented so you might want to take a much closer look and describe the hyphae.

Their coating is among the hardest substances in nature

i was under the impression its no where near as hardy as bacterial spores from my microbiology classes

That one you have there is a definite candidate for interstellar introduction, much like the kiwi accent.

LMAO :lol:

probably, i couldn't find anything on the subject.. but the assertion that fungal spores are up to the task is purely McKenna's.

the ability of bacteria to withstand re-entry has been proven.

wow, pretty weird, how it pops out like that!! it says "basket fungus" also grows around the south coast of australia.

Yep, basket fungus is what I was told elsewhere as well... well done Rev, you win the prize!

Er, actually I don't have a prize, sorry...

*edit* Crap, I keep forgetting about the ID sub-forums, sorry about that.

Edited by IllegalBrain