The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Thelema

Best Aphex Twin Album?

Hi,

I wish that my foray into CREATIVITY could be more worldbreaking, but this just happens to be a simple opinious comparative exercise: pray, what would be your favourite Aphex Twin Album to be CREATIVE by, to trip by, to live by, to love by?

I just bought SAW2 but it's too ambient for me. Can anyone advise me as to his most trippy, mindblowing stuff? DRUGKS?

hmmm, i havnt heard aphex twin since the days of 'window licker' and 'come to daddy'. i get the feeling they are both of the same ablum? i know the film clips or their songs, afore mentioned two in particular, were rather....freakay

EDIT - maybe they took a turn in mood? not that i have a problm with the dark trip, as ive found em most worth the effort so to speak. hmm that sounds like rambling LOL

Edited by Amulte

Hi,

I wish that my foray into CREATIVITY could be more worldbreaking, but this just happens to be a simple opinious comparative exercise: pray, what would be your favourite Aphex Twin Album to be CREATIVE by, to trip by, to live by, to love by?

I just bought SAW2 but it's too ambient for me. Can anyone advise me as to his most trippy, mindblowing stuff? DRUGKS?

Drukqs is definitely trippy, and has moments that could be described as mindblowing. There are some great tracks on that album. But overall it feels cobbled together as an album. There are some tracks that are obviously filler and others that just don't fit in. But as far as hard, complex electronic dance music goes, there are some great examples on Drukqs.

At the moment the only Aphex I am really listening to is the Analord series. This is really dance music. but it is good stuff :)

Another album you might like is Richard D James, which is warm fuzzy analogue goodness. It can sound a bit cheesy and empty if you are not in the right mood, but under the influence of (particularly MDMA) the emotional depths are revealed. The Come to Daddy EP has a few good tracks on it, but also some weird stuff that doesn't really do it. I Care Because You Do has some good moments on it but is a little emotionally distant and weird to really hit the spot for me.

If you are interested in getting into experimental dance music, Aphex is a good starting point, but I think bands like Autechre and Boards of Canada offer far more depth of intellectual and emotional material to play with. Enjoy :)

I like the Ricard D James album also, but definitely have to be in the right frame of mind for any Aphex Twin. I like quite alot of the tracks on Selected Ambient Works II, some I find rather annoying, this album, IMO is not indicative of the true Aphex sound but rather his excursions into ambient sounds that never made into full tracks or onto albums [although there is a few parts that I've heard on Selected Ambient Works II that appear on some of his other albums]. I'd say it would be a matter of personal preference as to living, loving and tripping to this kind of music. Whilst I do like Aphex Twin, I would'nt say I was die-hard fan and only listen occasionally to his work. I find alot of his tracks quite cold and erractic. Don't think I would like tripping to this kind of music if I was inclined to do that sort of thing.

Have you ever heard or heard of Grey Area? They are from Melbourne and are released on Psy-Harmonics. Very trippy experimental stuff, well worth a listen I think. Some people I knew listened to the album they had tripping and it all made much more sense in an altered state of conciousness. If you are interested in finding out a bit more about these guys just PM me. I think their albums are pretty hard to get hold of now.

Edited by tonic

Hasn't he released, like, 30 albums or something?

I always enjoy Aphex, but have never bought anything because his styles do vary so much, I'm not sure what I'm going to get. :)

SAW 85-92 is beautiful, and I much prefer it to Vol 2.

Richard D. James is a great example of his crazy genius tech stuff, but my favourite is by far the mad acid beats of the Analord series (under AFX and not Aphex Twin)... Also the old school Analogue Bubblebaths are always worth a listen.

Drukqs, pretty awesome, thoughI find the breakcore stuff a bit too intense....:)