The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
phloom

cactus withholding periods

Ive used a fungicide called Banrot a few times (probably unnecessarily) and im wondering whether my cactus will retain any of chemical for long periods?

I can't find a proper report about it, which probably means there's nothing to worry about.....but in relation to cactus.....does anyone know if they retain chemicals/toxins for an extended period?

cheers, Phloom

well i don't personally know about it but i was reading a thread the other day which was talking about this and supposedly many cacti do retain toxins for long periods.

(warning: second hand knowledge)

Yeah its been discussed here before, not that long ago actually... about a month or so.

The discussion was about Lophs and if they absorb the chems from sprays etc. If I remember correctly they hold onto them for quite a while.

EDIT: Here is the thread might or might not be useful. Link

Edited by Harry

well do they absorb more than an orange or a tomatoe or an apple like seriously how much is left in the plant and have any real tests been done? a lot of us common folk eat veges from woolies so are these any worse??

well do they absorb more than an orange or a tomatoe or an apple like seriously how much is left in the plant and have any real tests been done? a lot of us common folk eat veges from woolies so are these any worse??

thats a real good point, how bloody toxic is just about everybloody thing we consume!

Is Banrot a systemic or surface fungicide?

What is the recommended withholding period for other edible plants (fruit etc)?

Yeah, I did see that thread about the 'toxic' loph....Im dont really think that a plant will retain any chemical in dangerous amounts for extended periods ie. 6 month +.

Banrot (a systemic fungicide) doesnt have a published withholding period as far as im aware (not on the packet or MSDS), i think because its intended use is for soil drenches on seedlings.

For leafy plants i think it would be free from contaminants within 2-3 months as a guess, obviously depending on climate and water etc. but for cactus in not sure, any out there is good on their cactus biochem/botany? Teo im looking at you???

Ive given up on keeping my plants safe for ingestion, its a total shitfight at my place for various reasons and it make my hobby jst one big pain in the ass... which is something its not meant to be. :BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2::BANGHEAD2:

Im gunna get systemics into all of them and then go for an organic garden via cuttings and grafting from the inorganic /toxic collection when I move somewhere more suitable.

Personaly, I would only ever consider the progeny of such cacti safe for consumption.....

Wouldn't the size you sprayed it at also be of consideration?

Obviously a couple of seedlings that were sprayed (when consumed mature) would be a hell of a lot safer than a mature specimen that has been sprayed, with lots more surface area and had the chance to absorb everything over a week or two.