The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Aya

New to the Cacti World

Hi everyone, as a few of you know i'm just starting my way on the cacti path and have a few questions in regards to certain things that i haven't yet found answers for. So i thought instead of giving all my questions to Ferret (thanks again), i'd ask who ever is willing to answer instead of putting my unknowingness solely on him.

So one thing that is still on my mind is when you have a seed which is T. Pachanoi x T. Bridgesii. Meaning that the Pachanoi was the mother and the Bridgesii was the pollen donor (father). When this seed starts to germinate and grows will the Cacti produced be a 50/50 split between the two? Or is there a dominance between the mother and father?

Well that's it for now, but i'm sure there will be some more questions to come sooner or later.

Thanks for reading

Aya

I'm fairly new to the genetics of cacti myself, but I think you'll find that they may form a cross breed, with the characteristics of both (or, I should say, the dominant characteristics of both). That is why there are so many cacti that are hard to ID, due to being cross breeds.

You may also get a few that are distinctly similar to the mother or father, without definate looks of both. I dont know what sort of ratio you would expect for the different sorts, I think it'd be a bit of a gamble.

Hope that helps a little - and keep the questions coming - its great to see the answers, we all have different opinions and its always good to hear a few different ideas :)

When this seed starts to germinate and grows will the cacti produced be a 50/50 split between the two? Or is there a dominance between the mother and father?

No, they will grow as a blend of the two.

When you see T. Pachanoi x T. Bridgesii, for example this means that it is a hybrid. Or as a general rule when you see an "X" in the name it will be a hybridised type.

Usually this will be a manual hybridisation by the grower.

As Ace mentioned though this can be quite common in nature and in the garden, usually pollination is done in this case by bees or moths.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses guys, things are starting to get less foggy now.

I wonder what effect cross pollination would have on the entheogenic side of the cacti? I'm guessing with similar cacti with similar compositions there wouldn't be to much of a difference in comparison to the non-crossed versions of each.

Thanks again peoples

Love & Light

Aya

I wonder what effect cross pollination would have on the entheogenic side of the cacti?

Thats all part of the fun Aya - you never know until they are all grown up :wink:

I wonder what effect cross pollination would have on the entheogenic side of the cacti?

Thats all part of the fun Aya - you never know until they are all grown up :wink:

Haha.... Indeed. Thanks for the replys Ace

Aya

i also wonder if psychoactive trichocereus spp can interbreed with non active spp?

if so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to keep active and no active plants together, if you plan on harvesting seed.

also, could PACHANOI interbreed with SPACHIANUS, or are they too genetically different?

could PACHANOI interbreed with bidgesii monstrose etc?

i also wonder if psychoactive trichocereus spp can interbreed with non active spp?

if so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to keep active and no active plants together, if you plan on harvesting seed.

also, could PACHANOI interbreed with SPACHIANUS, or are they too genetically different?

could PACHANOI interbreed with bidgesii monstrose etc?

also... could pach be interbred with loph.. or is this just ridiculous? im thinking maybe yes, it is!!

All species classified within one genus should be able to cross breed, so yes, a spach x pach is very possible, because they are both Trichs (Echinopsis for those newbs :P)

As for a Trich x Loph, no, that is certainly not possible outside of a lab. Inside a lab, I still doubt its possibilities, but may be done with some serious hard work - tho I've certainly never heard of it... :)

Make sense guys?

Paradox,

You cann't cross TBM with anything !!! sooooo sad :( It just never flowers.

Paradox,

You cann't cross TBM with anything !!! sooooo sad :( It just never flowers.

i didn't know that :(

i havn't got any yet.

wouldn't a pach x TBM be luvly tho.

has anyone ever seen a spach x pach or similar?

probably be an interesting looking plant. spach's have like.. 25 ribs. it'd be interesting to see what sort of psycho-activity they had, in terms of strength & experience.

another question!

anyone know of the existence of spach monstrose?

I have several T. scopulicola X T. brigesii [E. lageniformis], not the same I know but an iteresting hybrid nonetheless.

another question!

anyone know of the existence of spach monstrose?

Haven't heard of it but wouldn't suprise me if there was, most likely in Europe or somewhere. They do alot of interest work with cacti in Holland etc.

hehe, here is some spach x super pedro babies.

post-1464-1174974912_thumb.jpg

Img_0300.jpg

Img_0300.jpg

Aww, they're tops! Congrats man, they look like they're brand spankers!

Looking good Passive, cant wait to try and grow those little gems myself!

Edited by Ayahuascara

post-1464-1174974912_thumb.jpg

sweet man! you grown these b4?

d'ya know what they look like when their big?

Damn that's awesome Passive, what a combination! It'll be exciting waiting to see if it'll be a case of "to cluster or not to cluster?"

Superpedro sure seems to be a potent dude, may I present "pach X Superpedro" :lol:

post-608-1174984685_thumb.jpg

Those lil tykes (spach x super pedro ) look EXACTLY like my baby hoodias. Exactly.

Actully what IS a super pedro? Did i miss somethin?

Edited by Gardener

Actully what IS a super pedro? Did i miss somethin?

have a look here Gardener

Edited by Passive Daemon

Super Pedro looks sooooo cool

Iv got about 10 cacti and their all skinny little things lol, A fat super pedro would make anice addition to my collection

Great pics in that thread passive

New question. Cereus Peruvianus, synonymous with Trichocereus Peruvianus/Echinopsis Peruvianus? Or is the Cereus a different cacti all together?

cereus is a completely different species altogether!

cereus peruvianus is a very common cactus in gardens and grows huge with many, many columns.

cereus peruvianus is not active but it does contain the alkaloids hordenine & tyramine which i believe are known for their anti-septic properties.

cereus is a completely different species altogether!

cereus peruvianus is a very common cactus in gardens and grows huge with many, many columns.

Thanks for clearing that up Paradox, much appreciated :wink:

Aya

/me whips out the trusty old Biology textbook...

In a cross between these two compatible species, dominance would occur with respect to individual genetic traits. As you know, genes can be dominant or recessive.

examplecrossflower.JPG

Making things more complicated, genes can even be incompletely dominant- the resulting phenotype (physical manafestation of a gene) of the f1 hybrids falls between the phenotypes of their two parental varieties.

snapdragon.gif

I hope this clears things up rather than confuses you more :unsure: