The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ace

Edible Varieties in the Community -nonactives-

Hey guys,

Think it would be good to see what edible mushies are in the community and it might open up a few folks to trades and whatnot.

I currently dont have any edibles, but I'm interested to see if anyone has Shiitake, Oyster, Slippery Jacks, Buttons, etc.

Feel free to post and share the love/knowledge/ :shroomer:

Ace

I don't think I can help you with obtaining edibles because Australian customs sounds brutal, but I've got Hypsizygus ulmarius, Coprinus comatus, and Stropharia rugoso annulata growing in my veggie beds. The mycelia are going crazy eating up mulch, coco fibre etc.. but no fruits yet. Everything that grows near them goes apeshit though and green as hell w/o much fert. Also, trying to fruit Ganoderma lucidum and Hericium erinaceum form sawdust filled jars. Have to move this month, though, so may never see them fruit. :(

I don't think I can help you with obtaining edibles because Australian customs sounds brutal, but I've got Hypsizygus ulmarius, Coprinus comatus, and Stropharia rugoso annulata growing in my veggie beds.

It's mostly our Quarantine rather than Customs which is a problem, especially for things like this. I don't think receiving mycelium would be a good idea but if you ever get any prints I think that would be safe.

I Have, on plates

Hericium erinaceus- Lions mane

Ganoderma Lucidum - reishi

Pleurotus Ostreatus - common oyster

Pleurotus eryngii - King oyster

Pleurotus djamor - pink oyster (although havn't recultured in ages - maybe lost)

Pleurotus citrinopileatus - golden oyster

Lentinula edodes - Shiitake

Hypsizygus ulmarius - while elm

Hypholoma sublateritium - chestnut mushroom

Agrocybe aegerita - pioppino

Lepista nuda - wood blewit

and I did have and lost...

Flammulina velutipes - enoki

Auricularia polytricha - black wood ear

It probably doesn't count but I also have

Rhizopus oligosporus - the fungus used to make tempeh

Aspergillus oryzae & bacterial blends used to make koji and then miso, Sake, soy sauce etc.

I'm always looking for more if anyone wants to trade!

Edited by watertrade

No More edibles? :(

i had 3 big bags of Lactarius deliciosus, but im affraid that i have eaten most of them and they are in the fridge!

:drool2: sooooooo good.

i will try and get prints next time.

x peace

i had 3 big bags of Lactarius deliciosus, but im affraid that i have eaten most of them and they are in the fridge!

:drool2: sooooooo good.

i will try and get prints next time.

x peace

i take it u didnt grow these?

Saffron Milk Cap.

Made a couple of plates, see how they go...

EDIT: Well I'll be F*cked, just looked up Lactarius deliciosus and they are the Saffron milk cap. Now thats a co-inkidink!

They grow like mad around the pine forests here. Next rain I'll see if I can get some samples and some prints. Bleeding

Milk Cap grows here as well apparently, even better eating than the Saffron I'm told. Nab some of those if I find me some as well :)

Any one interested in prints ??

Edited by Harry

Saffron Milk Cap.

Made a couple of plates, see how they go...

EDIT: Well I'll be F*cked, just looked up Lactarius deliciosus and they are the Saffron milk cap. Now thats a co-inkidink!

They grow like mad around the pine forests here. Next rain I'll see if I can get some samples and some prints. Bleeding

Milk Cap grows here as well apparently, even better eating than the Saffron I'm told. Nab some of those if I find me some as well :)

Any one interested in prints ??

I was under the impression that bleeding milk cap was toxic... if u r planning to grow milk cap, i believe that they can only grow in unison (i forget the proper word) with pines.

Edited by shroomytoonos

I was under the impression that bleeding milk cap was toxic... if u r planning to grow milk cap, i believe that they can only grow in unison (i forget the proper word) with pines.

I think mycorrhizal is the word shroomytoonos and I am pretty sure Saffrons are mycorrhizal to pines as well. I have about...mmmmm...10 kg of Saffrons at home right now which I grabbed from a local pine forest & I literally left 100's there. I can't eat them all so am making up little bags for friends to try. I also put a cap or two at the base of every pine close to my house so I don't have to travel so far to pick them next time :lol:

There were also the remains of Slippery Jacks when I went picking but I can only deduce that the wild pigs find them alot more delicious than the saffrons and ate most of them while only uprooting the saffron in the search for more slipperies. The mess they make in the forest is artrocious but it easy to find the mushrooms now, just look for the upturned earth....

I Have, on plates

Hericium erinaceus- Lions mane

Ganoderma Lucidum - reishi

Pleurotus Ostreatus - common oyster

Pleurotus eryngii - King oyster

Pleurotus djamor - pink oyster (although havn't recultured in ages - maybe lost)

Pleurotus citrinopileatus - golden oyster

Lentinula edodes - Shiitake

Hypsizygus ulmarius - while elm

Hypholoma sublateritium - chestnut mushroom

Agrocybe aegerita - pioppino

Lepista nuda - wood blewit

and I did have and lost...

Flammulina velutipes - enoki

Auricularia polytricha - black wood ear

It probably doesn't count but I also have

Rhizopus oligosporus - the fungus used to make tempeh

Aspergillus oryzae & bacterial blends used to make koji and then miso, Sake, soy sauce etc.

I'm always looking for more if anyone wants to trade!

Now THAT is an admirable collection!! Awesome watertrade, will need to speak with you very soon!

Now THAT is an admirable collection!! Awesome watertrade, will need to speak with you very soon!

I am pretty proud of my collection of edibles, I have been at it for a while. While I have cultured my own, some I got from members here that I know have more! Exciting ones too.

The problem with keeping cultures is that they need to kept alive. I have a cupboard full of old plates which I sometimes go through and reculture. Sometime in the near future I will be reculturing and throwing away the old plates - there is probably about 150 petri dishes. I need to find a more long term method - like distilled water storage. I just get paranoid that I'm going to lose them.

Cheers

The problem with keeping cultures is that they need to kept alive.

on the money there bro

its a hard ask

of all ive ever had id have lost over half of it

ive lost count of the times ive bought enokis to recapture them

somewhere tween sharing, prints, in situ conservation , plates, tubes etc

is the answer

the in situ is great if you can. a large stump innoculated can be kept as living backup over the years it fruits

mainating a culture library is an occupation in itself

they are lucky in the US tha that there is a national one

G'day Rev,

long time no see! Good to see you back here! -

if you need to build up you collection again let me know if I can help. Quite a few of my cultures came from you in the first place. !

Cheers