The Corroboree
Shroomie the Shaman

Little black critters invading Psychotria

As the topic says, my psychotria viridis plants seem to have alot of tiny, tiny black things covering the new shoots. Also, normal black ants seem to live on my psychotrias. The ants seem to just be happily running around the plant, causing it no grief, but these little black things are filling the new shoots stunting them. I do not want to use chemicals if possible but I only have two, very healthy specimens and can feel the plants being stunted...(yes, I talk to my plants) Does anyone have, or has seen this, if so, what do I do?

:(

Certainly sounds like a case of spider mites :( No doubt there are a few remedies, perhaps check the SE? I am not sure of any off the top of my head, but I think submursing the entire plant underwater (provided it isnt too huge or planted in the ground, of course :P) for a short period will drown them and hopefully keep the plant happy.

There are probably a couple other ways of dealing with the little buggers, hopefully someone else can help :)

Certainly sounds like a case of spider mites :( No doubt there are a few remedies, perhaps check the SE? I am not sure of any off the top of my head, but I think submursing the entire plant underwater (provided it isnt too huge or planted in the ground, of course :P) for a short period will drown them and hopefully keep the plant happy.

There are probably a couple other ways of dealing with the little buggers, hopefully someone else can help :)

The ants will be 'farming' the insects on the plant, get rid of both wont do it any good! Drown them!

It will be spider mite or a scale probably maybe aphids. If they dont move about it will be scale.

Blast them with high pressure water such as spray bottle, or make up some 'white oil' or chilli and garlic spray and do the same. Make sure its not in sun or heat if using white oil as it may burn the leaves.

If its scale pick em off with your fingers or a toothbrush..

hope that helps

Doesn't really sound like spider mites to me. Spider mites are bigger than you describe and there are usually only a few of them around. Not sure what it is post a pic for me, posibly scale or at a long shot aphid.

I can remember a while ago I had extremely small black dots on one of my psychotrias....if you can pst a pic I can see if it was the same thing.

Edited by Hellonasty

what about? family guy?

Toons...I can pretty much talk to them about anything (they are good at keeping secrets :lol: ) but normally just comforting smalltalk, like strangers do to babies...i.e: "Aren't you a georgeous looking cacti, yes you are, you are growing up so fast I know you will be big and strong before too long, then you can help Daddy with his learning, can't you...yes you can!" :blush:

sounds like scara fly, they live in the soil, give the pot a soak to drown them.

spider mites are little red bastards and aphids are white

EDIT - if the little black things fly about and love fruit then yeah, could be scara fly. if the dont fly about then its prolly not.

Edited by Amulte

Thanks for the help guys, but before I do anything I shall get my camera back (my friend borrowed it) and then I will also make a gallery of all my plants! Until then though, they don't seem to be hurting it, just stunting its growth.

stunted growth could be due to root damage from the infestation so a little seasol might repair that, thoim sure theres somthing better for damaged roots.

Well...thanks for all the info, but I came home (cam in hand) after 48 hours of belting rain and powerful wind...and the plant is now rid or all ants and little black things...whatever they were, they can't handle rough weather very well and he is now smiling! :)

Awesome StS - that'll save a bit of hassle :P

Next time it happens, put the whole plant in the car and drive to your nearest storm! lol :lol: