The Corroboree
Conan Troutman

VIC Camping trip

so another go in the near future guys, whats the verdict??

Sure...if it's near my house this time instead of yours :rolleyes:

Im up for somthing in the nea future but the more heads up i get the better the chances are of me making, kinda working 6 days a week so i need the time to get holidays organised!

im sorry i couldnt make it, shouldve organised me some car pooling cos in the end i was too broke for fuel! woulda been good to meet you fellas. one of these years ed

I ended up arriving at dusk on the Saturday - I didn't expect the journey to take over 5 hours - but it was well worth it. Even the car journey had me buzzing - I caught the ferry across from Portsea to Queenscliff which was cool. Driving alone through the forest with the tunes pumping as the light faded was a nice experience too.

Great to meet you Ed, I was happy enough just shooting the breeze with you, save for the fun when Conan and co rocked up. The walk amongst the red gums was awesome!!

All up I had a great weekend and am keen to get along to any others that may eventuate.

Cheers

roll on Dennis McKenna!!

Edited by ayjay101

It's not just that...

It's hard to tell from looking back through the thread, who was meant to bring the wood. As lots of people seemed to be talking about it, but none of it seemed definite. But I did have the impression that you were gonna bring wood. I don't know if you did or not, but by five o'clock, we couldn't risk hanging around in that cold if we weren't sure there was going to be a fire, so we went back down to skeen's creek where it was a little warmer.

I thought that I'd told you blokes that I was gonna get some wood?

Chainsaw was loaded and ready to go. The problem was that this is a National park, and the place I was gonna cut was in a plantation (No tresspassing), so was waiting 'til after about 5pm when rangers and plantation-workers would all have pissed off. I would've done this Friday night, but was on my own and needed a hand, and someone needed to be at camp to meet people and mind gear. Had you two stayed, we could have done this before dark. Was good to meet and have a chat though.

I will admit that by Saturday arvo I'd pretty well given up on anyone else arriving. Was actually thinking of bailing out myself, but didn't want anyone else to roll up and no-one be there, no shelter etc.

As it turned out, ayjay rolled up not long after dark, CT & crew weren't far behind, and a good night was had by all.

As ayjay said, just gas-bagging with fellow plant-heads in such a setting is pleasant enough. Endo seemed to think the same Friday night, and has already planned a trip back.

Admittedly there were no subs at the camp-site (this is a popular spot so would be getting a lot of visits at this time of year), and endo and I only found a dozen or so nearby (but only spent half an hour looking). They were definitely about as CT proved when he rocked up, so I'd think a decent search on Sunday would have found at least enough to satisfy everyone there.

It is a very late season here though. There were still lepiotas about (should be well-finished by now) and plenty of amanitas (should be over/ending now), so I'd expect things to hot up in the next few weeks. Subs are usually prolific here at this time of year. I haven't "looked" for them for years (bar for reports here) as I normally see far more than I could use just driving through the bush.

Anyway, I'll be up for another one, but reckon we should wait 'til the seasons definitely in full-swing first.

ed

Sorry, we must have misunderstood you about the wood.

I'm just pissed off in general about the lack of people turning up and I'm probably taking it out on CT more than he deserves. It's just that it seemed like no one was turning up, possibly not even the guy who organised it. Made the whole thing seem like a bit of a joke. If like there had've been six or seven people there by the time the sun was going down, I'm sure we would've stayed and not even worried too much about whether CT was turning up. It's just that I would've thought that the person who organises it would be one of the first turning up. It's not his fault that not many people turned up though.

Anyway, I'm still not gonna come to any future ones. I just don't understand why so many people seemed to want to come and the didn't turn up. Anyway, hopefully I'll meet a lot of you guys at EGA and other events.

I'm just pissed off in general about the lack of people turning up and I'm probably taking it out on CT more than he deserves. It's just that it seemed like no one was turning up, possibly not even the guy who organised it. Made the whole thing seem like a bit of a joke. If like there had've been six or seven people there by the time the sun was going down, I'm sure we would've stayed and not even worried too much about whether CT was turning up. It's just that I would've thought that the person who organises it would be one of the first turning up. It's not his fault that not many people turned up though.

Anyway, I'm still not gonna come to any future ones. I just don't understand why so many people seemed to want to come and the didn't turn up. Anyway, hopefully I'll meet a lot of you guys at EGA and other events.

Mate, I agree re lack of attendance.

I organised one of these trips a few years go and the same thing happenend. Heaps of takers at first, but as the date approached they all dropped out. In the end only two cars turned up.

The next year *everyone* pulled out, leaving 2b and me, so we didn't bother. Due to lack of interest I never brought the subject up again.

Re CT turning up, I'd agree that the primrary organiser should probably be the first on site, but I had informed him that I'd be there Friday night, have tarps strung up etc, so possibly he thought that all was in order.

Realistically though, you fellows showed little staying power yourselves, only stopping for a couple of hours. If you'd stayed, we'd have had a fire and seven people around it in another few hours. It's the same lack of dedication that stopped others from coming

I supplied chairs, tarps, fridge, generator, lights, shower, etc, etc, (and had them all set-up) so if anyone should be bitching it's me (would have been a lot easier to leave most of that shit at home since FA of it was used).

So I'll guarantee to be there first, provide same gear, etc, for the next trip.

It woud be nice though, if people only indicated attendance if they *are* going to roll up this time.

ed

I am truly well up for it, I love camping and chit chat. It is just hard as I work most weekends and often have to travel interstate with work with out much notice. So I can never be 100%. I think the best thing to do is put the date in the subject heading so we are all clear on the date well in advance and can try our best to make that weekend free.

:wink:

Yes a BIG thanks must be given to Ed and those who did show :lol:

ENJOY Ayjay :wink::shroomer:

Edited by Conan Troutman

Wish I could've made this last camp trip. If anyone wants to throw another one within the next few months i'd be keen, but I don't see that happening. BS court related crap stopped me this time, hopefully will have no more of this crap!

yea sorry about not makin it i got half way there and stopped in at a pub and met a chick you know how it goes

i would have posted this earlier(evan tried with cut and paste fron txt on desktop but not enough patience of letters) but when i got home my keyboard was soaked in cat pee

just got a new one this morning

I'll be heading out again before the 'season' is over, so if anyone down this way let me know...we can organise something a little less formal

You shouldn't be too angry about it, from personal experience organising the Sydney meets and attending some other similar events, ethnobots are a hard crowd to get motivated and you can rarely rely on them to actually turn up (I'm a guilty party here too :P) ... no matter what they type into the forums :wink:

Seems to me the though, that usually those events where only the dedicated people turn up usually end up being the best and most memorable... high attendance doesn't always mean 'high times' :P

I was following this thread since the beginning (mods gotta keep their eyes out! :wink:), I think my guess on who would ACTUALLY attend (made by the second page) was rather spot on ehhe.

Anyway, just my 2c, not really trying to butt in :)

It sort of seems we should have come a bit more prepared i could have brought the trailer with more stuff like fishing rod, wood and tents but wanted to save some money on fuel

Even though it got just plain freezing after 4.30, it was still good to meeting ya ed, worth the four hour drive just to see the Redwoods!!, Balzac and myself ended up spoting a few subs in the rainforest behind kennet river.

Would have been good to meet some of you guys, bring on EGA!

im a bit late replying to the camping trip but i wanted to shout out a BIG UP! to ED for all his fine work. i was able to park and walk straight into shelter, chairs, lighting, and some freaky wine (what was that again ED?) within 30 minutes he had me keeled over with tales of his times in tassie. thanks mate made the trip all the worth while. not to mention the assistance hunting the next day. :worship:

Apologies to those that arived on saturday (greenhouse, ballzac sorry couldnt stick around) having to work night shift was not ideal. but thanks to those that made the effort.

i think if you can travel self sufficiently then if no bastard turns up you can still enjoy the time on your own.

as beautiful as the otways are, maybe we could discuss a sight a bit more central for next time, this may help with the poor attendence, the trick will be to find somewhere that has some 'active' activity. :shroomer:

below are a couple of pics from the weekend. the file size is large as i havnt yet learnt how to change that when off the camera, sorry :blush:

post-2528-1181706842_thumb.jpg

aire river

post-2528-1181706960_thumb.jpg

fungal jungal

post-2528-1181707343_thumb.jpg

No longer lonely

post-2528-1181707479_thumb.jpg

dinner for 2

END

I agree on being self-sufficient, but I don't drive, so that's kinda impossible for me. I'm glad that greenhouse came down with me, 'cos I probably woulda been a lot more fucked off at the whole situation had I made a heroic effort to come down alone and so few people turned up.

Anyway, CT made out that this trip had nothing to do with looking for mushies and was more of a social gathering than anything else, so maybe these things should be in summer rather than winter? More people would probably turn up and it would be more comfortable for those who do.

TBH, I would still like to meet more of you guys and would probably come along to another one of these if I drove. But I'm not gonna encourage any of my friends to come along. And greenhouse doesn't have as much incentive to come along because he's not as active online and doesn't know a lot of you guys from your posts, so I wouldn't ask him again.

Besides, I think next time I do have an opportunity to go a fair distance like that, I will head out to far-east Gippsland to see some of the native flora, like some of the wattles out there for instance.

Anyway, I agree that a location closer to melbourne would be better. Most people live close to melbourne, and I think people are more likely to agree to a 90minute drive than a four hour drive. And if I'm catching a train, a 90 minute train trip and then a four hour walk is a lot easier to handle than a four hour train trip and a four hour walk or whatever. And if I was getting a lift from a station, it makes it a lot nicer if my lift doesn't show up if I only spend 3 hours there and back than 8 hours, plus whatever time I spend waiting to see if they show up.

I s'pose one solution is to get my license and a car and then I can look after myself, and this is the first thing that has ever made me think that maybe I would be better off with a car. Generally I find I don't need one to get around. Even when I was living in the country I didn't mind walking 30km to the shops and back, but I s'pose cars ARE useful for something.

yeh, not having a car would make that a little difficult, and im sure your not on your own so probably not the solution i thought it was, i would love to live without a car for a multitude of reasons so my hat off to you. i would be more than happy to try and help with a lift at the next one if you see fit to go.

no doubt the primary purpose of these trips is the social aspect. the hunting is a bit of blue icing on the cake. (just my pref not CT's)

i to, like many others here have a desire to go gippsland way (want to get some field time identifying acacia's) so if you find yourself in that direction im sure you'll find some interest here if you can be fucked organising it. later in the year (when theres a bit more flower) i will be down there.

hopefully see you at EGA man.

endo.

Hey green house good to see the Carlton lights man, if i have to drink lights thats what id go for, our grandfathers would be proud! although brief, good to meet ya man

Edited by endogenous