The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
XipeTotec

awesone shit to do with PC... suggestions

We have mega power at our fingertips... I feel that I should be doing awesome shit with my pc... any ideas or examples... add-ons (bought or constructed), awesome software... People run their houses of these things...

I've been thinking lately it would be cool to have a greenhouse setup and all self timed and managed by a PC - it'd be cool to programme the watering times in, the automatic opening/closing of windows, artificial lighting if needed, etc, etc - I think the options for something like this could be rather impressive! Just need a need for it and then let your mind get creative :)

After all, necessity is the mother of invention and boredom is the father of creativity!

I'm sure you could download or buy a few computer programmes for these sort of automating systems - perhaps have a surf and see whats available? :)

Go have a look at Dicksmiths or Jaycar. They have kits and cards for that sort of thing. If you want a basic setup, to do it a bit cheaper and don't mind getting your hands dirty its the way to go.

got an xbox? makes life so much easier when one mods their xbox, allow file sharing and networked to pc specifically for media files. the xbox media player kicks ass, low res videos on PC clean up so much when put through the TV. makes life a bit more confortable being able to watch downloads and streaming videos without having to sit at a desk.

greta idea ace! greenhouse set up to pc would nice. only a matter of finding the right software and hardware. dont forget humidty, co2 and temp control control :)

Folding @ home reminds me of the seti screensaver

The computer controled green house sounds like an awesome idea.

You could set up an automated watrering system too, if you needed it.

I must say it would an emence task making the interface between the timed devices or hydrolics and the hardware with computer.

Guess I havent the experience to know where to begin.

Still would make me wet in the pants to see a setup like this in action.. :drool2:

Theres already systems like this available, groware for an example..

We have one at work, cant remember what its called off the top of my head, you can control, mist, fog, vents (fan & roof) tells you humidity, and pulls screens over when theres too much light about..

Might be Priva come to think of it...I know for sure its priva humidity sensors..

Cool systems none the less...

it would have to be industrial hardware. ive got a friend that works at a local steel factory. the acid tanks use this monitoring hardware that can be hooked up to a pc, monitors PH, nute lvl, temp and humidity and also can active fans to control temp and add ph up or down when commanded to or set up to (ph reaches a pre set lvl then the device activates the pump to add ph up or down or nute, which ever is needed)

this device can be hooked up to a pc, he is using it for automation, and also has two extra customisable device ports for the addition of various other tools to the hardware itself. would be great to add a sensor and pump to adjust humidity. he uses it for a hydroponic greenhouse so has a seperate pump and timer for the water system. he was able to order one of these for himself but they are fairly costly. ill find out more about the device itself as other industrial applications would likely be the better option for hardware.

i havnt got the room or motivation to do it myself, but would love to see somone setup a PC controled greenhouse at home. wouldnt even need a powerful PC, one could set up an old box as a dedicated greenhouse server. im definately going to look into this when i get round to movin.

on the basis that some people wont know what the heck Apoth is talking about but will be too busy to google:

folding@home

:wink:

I think a while back(few years) someone at the shrooomery had already set up a home grow chamber, regulating air exchange, humidity and heat all controlled by his old pc. There are plenty of data loggers and other systems that can be linked.

Try this link for startersPC control greenhouse and they also sell the associated cards needed controllers/cards Not bad prices either. Be sure to check jaycar or similar, as you may find a supplier here in oz.

Looks very interesting indeed!!

Good luck all

on the basis that some people wont know what the heck Apoth is talking about but will be too busy to google:

folding@home

:wink:

Still dont quite understand the 'folding' thing - so you can avoid dodgy cell production using a computer? Am I even on the right track? Will have to have a bit more of a look when I get a chance... :scratchhead: